mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Ripped off by an English Bastard on eBay!

If you are thinking of buying a bike on eBay be very careful of an individual offering you a "Second Chance" to bid on an item that you did not win. They will send you a very realistic email that looks like it came directly from eBay and that the seller has been approved and granted purchase protection. They will tell you that the individual has money in their eBay account and it will be frozen for 30 days until you receive your item. Then they say that you must send the money via Western Union because the individual does not have Pay Pal account. The individual lives in London, England and once "John Bertini" or what ever his name is receives payment from Western Union you will never hear from him again. So be wise when you use eBay and check it through them before you send any money. I'm out $1,000.00 and my wife is pissed so I'll be riding my DBR V-link for another year or so sucks being me.....
    Negev Rider

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about that.
    I'm scared of bidding anything overseas and/or western union.

Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry dude- I really am. I wish you had asked on this Board before bidding. These guys would have told to to not do it, especially with foreign sellers and bikes.

I feel your pain and I wish we could stomp out these crooks somehow.

jrm
    mtbr member

wont eBay investigate

especially ifthe guys USING eBay to rip folks off. Dont you have any recourse?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    especially ifthe guys USING eBay to rip folks off. Dont you have any recourse?
    nope. because in reality a second chance offer involves another ebay auction with a fixed buy-it-now price, and thus more fees for ebay. Ebay isn't responsible for deals negotiated OFF their site because buyers lacked common sense.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

stay thirsty, my friends
    Ouch

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear what happened. I received a similar email from somebody after I lost out on some bidding.

Dear Ebay Member,

I have seen that you are interested to purchase this item. I have forsell this item for a much cheaper price with this offerKona 2002 Unit Single Speed Steel Mountain Bike NICE! Item number: 3689894700 )
    1.Free Shipping !
    2.Not only is shipping FREE but you will also receive 100% protection from loss or damage with our "On the House" FULL INSURANCE coverage. Your shipment will be professionally secured with heavy-duty packaging designed to protect the contents of your shipment cross country.
    3.The price that is much lower that you think,just USD$600.00 !
    If you are interested to purchase this item from me please e-mail me as soon as possible with your decision. I sell this item because I have just moved here in Europe and I want to make some money so I can afford a home for me and my familly.
    In case you are interested please e-mail me !

Thank you in advance for your time!
    Of course, I played along and got the entire Western Union "deal." Note the increased frequency of poor spelling and bad grammar. He must have gotten excited.

Hi again ,

This is trhe deal:I will make the shipping whit Ups Express.The delivery will not take more then 3 bussiness days.I will make all arrangements for shipping for shipping ,i will pay the shipping taxes even ,but i will not start the the shipping until you will proceed with payment.Payment mut be confirmed same day via WESTERN UNION .as soon as you will make the payment you must scan me the receipt as well,but with the mtcn# covered.I agree to release me the mtcn#(money transfer control number) only after you will receive the goods in hand.

Thank You and if you agree ,please reply asap !
    I asked him for his address so I could send payment and he sent me a reply asking if I was serious. Geez..a scammer with a concious?

Anyways..got his address. Not sure if it's legit or not, but I've since reported him to eBay.

Hi again ,

OK,then you agree whit my method ?If you do i will make all arraangements for today,and if you will proceed whit payment today i will ship it today too.

This is my name and address:

JEANICE DORETE
    9 BRONDESBURY ROAD
    LONDON/NW6 6BX
    UNITED KINGDOM

Thank you once again !

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Sorry to hear about you loosing a grand, but i guess you make easy money if without a doubt you send $1000 to an unknown person.

DubJay: i've been selling a few $2000+ bikes for my friends in spring of 2004. I've had a lot of emails/scams on if i'd like to buy same(!bike was custom) for 3 times cheaper. I deleted a few and then started playing around with them(scammers). Sent like 7 emails a day to the same guy and also used my 2 other email addresses. I confused the sh&t outta him to the point where he gave me 2 different addresses to where send the $$.
    Then gave him bogus Western Union transaction number and demanded a ups tracking #. Ofcourse WU # did not work and he was getting angrier with every email. IN the end i kept him busy for about 3 weeks and hopefully he was busy with me other than ripping off others.
    <->

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Western Union

I am not entirely sure why, but these scams always seem to involve Western Union. I have bought bikes and expensive stuff off of ebay, but only use paypal linked to my credit card. That way at least there is some hope of getting your money back.

But yeah, buying off auction is a bit risky. Sorry you got bitten.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Not to be a prick and it sucks that you lost your money, but had you spent about 30 seconds on ebay you would have found that they do not recommend wire transfers and warn about potential fraud from international transactions.

Here is what I found under their section for buyers:

As an eBay buyer, we recommend that you take the following steps to ensure that your experience is successful:

* Use common sense.
    * Ask your seller questions before placing a bid by using the Ask Seller a Question link on the listing page.
    * Check refund and return policies.
    * Review your seller's feedback.
    * Confirm authenticity of the item.
    * Know the shipping charges before you buy.
    * Insure your item.
    * Verify your seller's contact information before sending payment.
    * Make sure your method of payment offers protection.
    * Avoid transactions where the seller only accepts cash or instant cash wire transfer.
    * Avoid unsolicited offers.
    * Use caution when considering escrow. To avoid being deceived by fraudulent escrow services, use www.escrow.com, eBay's approved escrow service. Escrow is available for any purchase, but typically is used for purchases of $500 or more.
    * Use extra caution with:
    o International transactions
    o High dollar and popular items
    * Keep a record of all purchases.

Related Help topics

* Fraud Protection: Overview
    * Buyer Protection Program
    * Trusting the Seller: Overview
    * Sending Payments
    * Using Escrow on eBay
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    I am sorry to hear about your misfortune, but look on the bright side, it was only $1,000. Numerous people have gotten scammed for BMWs and Mercedes, some losing $40,000+. It is easy for everyone here (including you) to see how it maybe some questionable judgement was exercised. However, in the moment, it is not always so clear, and it only takes a moment of poor judgement to create years of regret. At any rate, good luck and don't write eBay off completely. It really is a great resource.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Are you sure he wasn't in Wales?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3734462.stm

the target bike basher

hm.....

i feel extreamley bad, you could sue him in small claims court! lol.....maybe this is off subject but a i bought some extreamly nice r/c car battaries (i race, the expensive ones) and they were completley differenmt freom the pic, and every solder was broken, and the parts he said he would include did not come and the plugs were completely different, and a nother time was a Power mac g3 was on ebay, about 30 of em, and my mom said we had to keep waiting for the guys email, to see if we could pivk it up ina week, no delivery, and he sells all of them in that time, but gives me a second chance, and well, as i found out, he sol all the extras that were mine to someone else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

kinda relevant

This is kinda relevant, although probably misplaced on this particular board, but since the attention is on scams....

Here's one to look out for,

Ebay User with a foreign email address (name@terra.com.br for example), though listed as from the United States. I almost got took by such a scam. I recieved the shipping address after the guy won the auction, I checked the address, and it was a sketch exporter, even though it said it was a residential address. Soon as I said paypal only, guess what, the guy fell off of the face of the earth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

http://www.fraud-auctions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Negev Rider
    If you are thinking of buying a bike on eBay be very careful of an individual offering you a "Second Chance" to bid on an item that you did not win. They will send you a very realistic email that looks like it came directly from eBay and that the seller has been approved and granted purchase protection. They will tell you that the individual has money in their eBay account and it will be frozen for 30 days until you receive your item. Then they say that you must send the money via Western Union because the individual does not have Pay Pal account. The individual lives in London, England and once "John Bertini" or what ever his name is receives payment from Western Union you will never hear from him again. So be wise when you use eBay and check it through them before you send any money. I'm out $1,000.00 and my wife is pissed so I'll be riding my DBR V-link for another year or so sucks being me.....
    Negev Rider
    Sorry to hear about it. Visit the site http://www.fraud-auctions.com/ to find out which ebay IDs have been stolen and some of the other tricks to get suckers... sorry, unsuspecting people such as yourself to lose $$$. Consider it a very expensive lesson learned and somehow you might reap the benefits many times over in the long run. Yeah, stupid, but at this what else can you say?

There are many vigilantes on ebay with pages such as http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAP...-me-page%21%21 to warn others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004