Thread: Repair Stands?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Repair Stands?

Anyone know of any good deals on a good repair stand?

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    This is about as cheap as I've seen:

Northern Industrial Bike Repair Stand | Bike Repair Stands| Northern Tool + Equipment

Mostly positive reviews. Clamping system could be worrisome, though.

mtbr member
    I have that stand. It's fine. It probably won't last forever, but I've been using it regularly for a few years now, and it's holding up. Certainly can't beat the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have that stand as well. No problems at all with it. Price is hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    those RAD stands flying around ebay look pretty sturdy.

mtbr member
    Use the 40% off code at department of goods for the Feedback sports stand, knocks it down to $119 + free ship. Not cheap, but a quality stand.

mtbr member
    Elite Race Workstand
    Elite Race Workstand 2012 - Workstands

I have this one from Nashbar....got it with a 20% off and free shipping so in the end was about $140.

Great stand and definitely sturdy....should be the only stand I ever need to buy. A great stand if you have any carbon bikes so no clamping to carbon tubes ( a no no).

Made with Powder-coated aluminum so will not rust and has a durable finish.

Michael

mtbr member
    My wife got me this one from Price point for christmas.

Sette ST-7 DLX Foldable Workstand at Price Point

Works great. Folds up nicely holds the bike the plenty of adjustability. I can't think of working on the bike without it again.

Repair Stands?-img-20121223-00103.jpg
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Use the 40% off code at department of goods for the Feedback sports stand, knocks it down to $119 + free ship. Not cheap, but a quality stand.
    Where do you see this? I don't think they have any Feedback stands in stock.

mtbr member
    Bought one a couple of weeks ago from them, looks like they are out, bummer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Bought one a couple of weeks ago from them, looks like they are out, bummer.
    Oh man, I've had an eye on those Feedback stands. Maybe they'll come back in stock at some point. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Feedback Sports Pro Classic stand is back in stock at Department of Goods. Just ordered one with the 40% off code and it came out to $130 shipped after tax. Thanks for the heads up! Not sure how many they have in stock but better order quick if you want one.

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen just the top part (that holds the bike) for sale? I have light stands that I use for photography so all I would need is the top part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Easterday View Post
    Has anyone seen just the top part (that holds the bike) for sale? I have light stands that I use for photography so all I would need is the top part.
    Try to order direct as a replacement/spare part. I've tried a few stands and the Ultimate/Feedback is by far the best I have used. One little known trick is that they were sold under the name Wrench Force in black, and occasionally you can snag one of those used - I snagged one with the wheel truing add-on, fork stabilizer, and carry back all for $75 and in good as new condition.

Fred

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by adinar View Post
    The Feedback Sports Pro Classic stand is back in stock at Department of Goods. Just ordered one with the 40% off code and it came out to $130 shipped after tax. Thanks for the heads up! Not sure how many they have in stock but better order quick if you want one.
    Maybe I'm blind, but where can you enter a coupon code anywhere on that site (and what coupon code are you using by chance)?

Also, I notice this is for the Pro-Classic stand. I've had my eye set on the Pro-Elite stand for the last few weeks. It looks like the Pro-Elite has a much better ratchet clamp setup, but are there any other differences, and is it worth the ~$100 difference in price after the coupon for the Classic is applied?

Edit 2 - Disregard the coupon code stuff, it's on the checkout page, but I'm still curious whether the Pro-Elite is worth the extra $100 over the Pro-Classic.
    Last edited by Cashel; 02-14-2013 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cashel View Post
    ...I'm still curious whether the Pro-Elite is worth the extra $100 over the Pro-Classic.
    Compare the specifications and the head/clamp setup. From my recollection the Pro offered more height and weight capacity, and some additional convenience features in the head/clamp setup. You can decide for yourself if they are worth the price difference or not, but that difference should also be reduced by the percentage of the coupon you apply.

Fred

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The specs pages on Feedback Sports' website leaves much to be desired, but from what I could tell they both offer the same height and weight capacity, it's just the head/clamp style that is different. The Elite generally goes for ~$20 more than the Classic, but this discount on the Classic makes it more of a ~$100 difference. While I've heard nothing but great reviews on the Elite's head/clamp style, I wasn't sure if it was worth the extra $100 for it, or if I'd even care/notice it after a the 'new product' feeling wore off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Now that I actually checked the D of G site for myself I see that they do not have the Pro Elite at all - I was thinking you could get either and apply the 40% off. I'd make one last Google search for the best price on a Pro Elite, but agree that $100 is steep - it's probably about twice the actual worth of the upgrade.

I do see that they have the tote bag for $14 though. I'd definitely add that because it should only cost you around 8 or 9 after coupon and it is nice being able to bring that stand with you and not worry about scratching it up.

Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I know DoG has had the elite model in stock in the past, but there's no telling if they'll ever get them back in. I think the only difference between the elite & pro-classic is the head/clamp style. The elite has the ratchet-action closing & quick release which the classic does not. If you were going to be using the stand a lot for many bikes, I could see the benefit in the elite (easier & quicker to get bikes on & off), but for home use, I don't think the extra $100 is worth it. That's just me. I just wanted a decent stand without having to pay a fortune and the coupon sealed the deal for the classic for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks guys, I went ahead and got the Classic for $120 shipped.

Edit: BTW, the tote bag is for the Sprint model, which is shorter, so I don't believe it'll fit the Classic.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Repair Stands?

Anyone have/use a Trek Wrenchforce stand? Got one on closeout (Trek no longer sells this line). Clamp works fine on my Mamba seatpost (27.2mm), but can't get my GT Sensor 9r post (31.2mm) to fit into the clamp. Can't find if there's a way to adjust the clamp mechanism to allow the larger diameter post to fit. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Low end but good stand.
    Amazon.com: RAD Cycle Products Pro Bicycle Adjustable Repair Stand: Sports & Outdoors

I know 2 people who got this one...I hear it's pretty good,well worth 62 and change shipped.
    Only drawback is you gotta prop the bike up as you tighten the clamp,but nothing a stool or a coupla chairs or tables can do.
    I hear it's pretty solidly built.Might be some on ebay etc. too.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's what I ended up getting from Ebay when it was on sale for 55 or so. It feels a bit cheap (figures), but it does the job. The tightening knobs are pretty annoying to work with. I've even stripped one of them because I couldn't get it tight enough for the position I wanted the bike in. For the price though, it does the job...but you definitely get what you pay for here.