Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

REI, 20% off

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  gridtalker 
#1 ·
I got 20 % off my 2010 Fox fork today. Sale through tomorrow, October 18.:thumbsup:

#3 ·
poontank said:
I just picked up a 2010 Fox F100 for $591-ish + tax. With REI's 100% satisfaction guarantee I can't go wrong. If the fork blows up in 3 or four years, I can just take it back; no questions asked. Plus having a brick and mortor location near by is always nice. :thumbsup:
Things wear out. The return policy isn't there for you to buy something once and never had to buy a new one again. If you wear the fork out, man up and buy a new one.

#4 ·
Dwayne said:
Things wear out. The return policy isn't there for you to buy something once and never had to buy a new one again. If you wear the fork out, man up and buy a new one.
Huh? Why does int seem like half the people on this forum feel that it is there job to "set people straight." Just to be clear, I wasn't looking for advice on how to handle my affairs. :nono:

#5 ·
poontank said:
Huh? Why does int seem like half the people on this forum feel that it is there job to "set people straight." Just to be clear, I wasn't looking for advice on how to handle my affairs. :nono:
I'll add my 2 cents since no one asked :D. As an REI member, it annoys me when people selfishly abuse REI's return policy because it costs the co-op money (which means higher prices and lower dividends for all members), and will eventually lead to a tightening of the policy. That very thing happened at Costco, people were abusing their liberal return policy, so they put a lot of restrictions on it. So it's not strictly "your" affairs when it affects other people.

#7 ·
You're welcome!

poontank said:
You could make that argument about anything. There isn't anything that a person can that does not affect someone else in some way. I'm still not soliciting advice on how I conduct my affairs, but thanks. :thumbsup:
I'm not giving out advice, you can conduct your affairs as you please. But when you do things like:

piss all over the toilet seat in public restrooms...
pick up a free Thanksgiving turkey at the Salvation Army when you're not needy...
zoom to the front of a traffic queue and cut in front at the last second...
return 3 year old forks to REI...

and then brag about it on the Internet, don't be surprised when people don't pat you on the back for it :thumbsup:

#8 · (Edited)
Yeah, that list could go on and on and on and include things like:

People who smoke in public
People who have abortions instead of putting their child up for adoption
People who make judgments about others without knowing all the facts

It's just hard to make the argument that people that do things that affect others are bad and in need of your advice. Or maybe you do this to everyone you disagree with. I don't know.

Nobody's bragging here.

And that's all I have to say about that.

#9 ·
poontank said:
Yeah, that list could go on and on and on and include things like:

People who smoke in public
People who have abortions instead of putting their child up for adoption
People who make judgments about others without knowing all the facts

It's just hard to make the argument that people that do things that affect others are bad and in need of your advice. Or maybe you do this to everyone you disagree with. I don't know.

Nobody's bragging here.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Instead of lashing out at your critics, why don't you just defend your position and explain why it is cool to use a pair of forks for 3 years and then return them to REI and demand your money back. . . that'll really put us in our place! :p

#10 ·
zuuds said:
Instead of lashing out at your critics, why don't you just defend your position and explain why it is cool to use a pair of forks for 3 years and then return them to REI and demand your money back. . . that'll really put us in our place! :p
Okay, that's an easy one. The fork was only used 5 times over 3 years and then blew up. I'd take back a $700 fork back in that instance. I don't know if it would be "cool", but definitely appropriate in my estimation. You may disagree, but then again, I'm not asking for approval or advice.

What I object to is the way people are jumping to conclusions about an undetermined situation that may or may not ever happen and blaming me for higher prices for co-op member at REI. Why would I do that? For all anyone knows I'm a co-op member and would have no interest in having to pay more as a member. I may even be a former employee, but no of you would know anything about that. I guess it is easier to jump to conclusions about someone's intent and brand them as the kind that pisses all over a toilet seat in a public bathroom rather than actually finding out about a situation.

I don't know what your place is and I don't know if this puts you there. I hope you are where you want to be. Moralsuperiorityville maybe. :p

But seriously, why are we arguing over a totally hypothetical situation?

#11 ·
REI is like the most expensive place to buy gear. It's their own fault if their return policy is that liberal. I'm willing to bet the sales it generates more than makes up for the amount of people who abuse that policy. You pay a premium when you buy there, in part because they apparently have good customer service. I know a company that has a similar return policy, and they seem to be doing fine.. Walmart.

#12 ·
I shop at REI a lot. I think REI tends to sell more stuff at MSRP since their members know about their 100% return policy. Don't forget their $20 member sign up fee that goes straight into their pocket. I think all those are statistically built into their business model so they make money...they would be a fool not to.

If REI didin't have their return policy, I wouldn't have become a member in the first place and have spent close $5-7K during last 8 years. So far I have only retunrned one Camelback and one Smith sunglass.

Not taking any side. I just think it works out for both parties.

#13 ·
walmart?

Are you really comparing Walmart's return policy to REI? Or is it just a comment regarding the sales being made up in spite of a liberal return policy? Because as far as I know (I have not been in a Walmart to shop for years) Walmart has a much stricter return policy. REI's return policy is a blessing if your product fails from a date outside of the usual 30-90 day return time for most stores. But yes, some people abuse it as well. I have seen a guy return a pair of 5 plus year old Birkenstocks, well worn, and advise that he was not satisfied with them and he demanded a store credit. Unfortunately, he got the credit.

#14 ·
norcalruckus said:
Are you really comparing Walmart's return policy to REI? Or is it just a comment regarding the sales being made up in spite of a liberal return policy? Because as far as I know (I have not been in a Walmart to shop for years) Walmart has a much stricter return policy. REI's return policy is a blessing if your product fails from a date outside of the usual 30-90 day return time for most stores. But yes, some people abuse it as well. I have seen a guy return a pair of 5 plus year old Birkenstocks, well worn, and advise that he was not satisfied with them and he demanded a store credit. Unfortunately, he got the credit.
Walmart return policy is not that strict at all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.