mtbr member
    Jun 2009

QBP cable housing $1/ft; Sram Derailleur cable $2/set; free ship over $30

according to this old 2005 guide, QBP = jagwire.
    (MkIII) Cable Housing Prep Revisited

from the ebay seller, highmtnsports, you can grab these items.
    housing

derailleur cable
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I'm new, but it seems like this is the best deal.

Which way? Uphill.
    For derailleur cables, right now you can't go wrong at REI
    Stainless
    Aztec Stainless-Steel Inner Bike Cables - Pair - 2011 Overstock - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com
    PTFE Coated:
    Aztec PTFE-Coated Inner Mountain Bike Shifter Cable - 2011 Overstock - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com

Use REWARDS20 coupon code and they have free shipping right now, it came to $4.08 for me.

It looks like with the stainless one you get two cables, for the teflon-coated you only get one.

They also have similar deals on brake cables if you need it or cables/housing combos.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

ballbuster

REi are too short....

Quote Originally Posted by nepbug View Post
    For derailleur cables, right now you can't go wrong at REI
    Stainless
    Aztec Stainless-Steel Inner Bike Cables - Pair - 2011 Overstock - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com
    PTFE Coated:
    Aztec PTFE-Coated Inner Mountain Bike Shifter Cable - 2011 Overstock - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com

Use REWARDS20 coupon code and they have free shipping right now, it came to $4.08 for me.

It looks like with the stainless one you get two cables, for the teflon-coated you only get one.

They also have similar deals on brake cables if you need it or cables/housing combos.
    ... for running full length housing. I buy a kit and can only do my rear without enough left over for the front.... unless that has changed recently.

But, the REi kit includes some nice parts. My last kit even included the little gel rubber sleeve things that reduce the cable rub around the headtube.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    ... for running full length housing. I buy a kit and can only do my rear without enough left over for the front.... unless that has changed recently.

But, the REi kit includes some nice parts. My last kit even included the little gel rubber sleeve things that reduce the cable rub around the headtube.
    I avoid the kits as well. It's easier to do the routing I want to do by buying the housing and cables separately. Some people love the kits though, to each their own.
    Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm replacing the shift cable on my bikes, what other part

I'll be using a dremel + heatshrink tubing to go full length housing (with zipties) like the guide suggests. What other parts do i need, eg consumables, for this work? Do i need gell rubber sleeve things?

for the housing + cable kit on REI here, if you get two kits, = assuming 2x2000m of housing as well as cable, = 13ft of housing + 4x cable for $30 I assume this will be harder to work with since the lengths are cut and you can't cut them to your perfect length = wasted end pieces.

With the ebay price, you can get 22ft housing + 4x cables for $30. I don't know if this is a better deal, since the REI comes with extra tidbits, which I have no clue what they do.

The White Jeff W
    Blue Sky has 12 feet of brake housing for $6 bucks. I bought derailleur housing a few weeks ago (12 feet for $9 bucks) but dont see it now.

BlueSkyCycling.com - Jagwire Brake Cable Housing
    No moss...

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    I'm replacing the shift cable on my bikes, what other part

I'll be using a dremel + heatshrink tubing to go full length housing (with zipties) like the guide suggests. What other parts do i need, eg consumables, for this work? Do i need gell rubber sleeve things?

for the housing + cable kit on REI here, if you get two kits, = assuming 2x2000m of housing as well as cable, = 13ft of housing + 4x cable for $30 I assume this will be harder to work with since the lengths are cut and you can't cut them to your perfect length = wasted end pieces.

With the ebay price, you can get 22ft housing + 4x cables for $30. I don't know if this is a better deal, since the REI comes with extra tidbits, which I have no clue what they do.
    Go eBay. You don't need the extra bits in the REI kit if you are running full-length housing. The rubber sleeves/donuts are just to prevent the cable from smacking your top tube on cable routing that isn't run full-length.

With the eBay route you might be missing end caps though. Just head to your LBS and pick up all you need for a buck.
    Blog