mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Problem w/ Chainreactioncycles. Do they have a rep on MTBR?

Does anyone know if Chainreactioncycles has a rep on MTBR that addresses issues? I ordered a wheelset from them that took almost a month to get. When I finally got it, the front hub was 9mm when it clearly says on the invoice it should be 20mm. I emailed them 5 days ago about the issue asking to either expedite a conversion kit to me, or refund me for the cost of buying one locally. The person that is working with me is making me jump through hoops despite telling her I have a big trip planned this weekend and need this resolved immediately. It would be nice to deal with someone else. Cheers.

Off the back...
    They're in the UK, so the ~7 hour difference in time zones can make it difficult to communicate easily. What hoops are you having to jump through?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, the time difference does make it tough, and apparently they don't respond over the weekend. It would be nice if they had an 800 number considering all the business they receive from North America. Anyways, my order clearly states that the front hub should be a 20mm. Any CSR at Chain can pull that up. However, that apparently wasn't good enough. The CSR I spoke with stated she needed me to scan the actual invoice. I did that and sent it to her, only to have her tell me it was the wrong one and she needed the one directly from the wheel building department. So, had to mess with another scan, send it off to her, and by then she was apparently off for the day so now I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out. I just wouldn't expect it to be this big of a deal. I've done lots of shopping with them, so just ship me a conversion kit which I'm sure doesn't cost them much, or just refund me the difference and I'll buy one locally. Instead there is no way I'll be able to go on the trip I had planned this weekend and continue to wait.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575fanboy
    Yeah, the time difference does make it tough, and apparently they don't respond over the weekend. It would be nice if they had an 800 number considering all the business they receive from North America. Anyways, my order clearly states that the front hub should be a 20mm. Any CSR at Chain can pull that up. However, that apparently wasn't good enough. The CSR I spoke with stated she needed me to scan the actual invoice. I did that and sent it to her, only to have her tell me it was the wrong one and she needed the one directly from the wheel building department. So, had to mess with another scan, send it off to her, and by then she was apparently off for the day so now I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out. I just wouldn't expect it to be this big of a deal. I've done lots of shopping with them, so just ship me a conversion kit which I'm sure doesn't cost them much, or just refund me the difference and I'll buy one locally. Instead there is no way I'll be able to go on the trip I had planned this weekend and continue to wait.
    Sounds like they are responding, if not as quickly as you would like.

If the trip is really that important just get the 20mm parts locally and finish off with CRC as needed. May not be the ideal solution but it will get you riding. And the longer you wait the less likely you will have the parts for the weekend.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Sounds like they are responding, if not as quickly as you would like.

If the trip is really that important just get the 20mm parts locally and finish off with CRC as needed. May not be the ideal solution but it will get you riding. And the longer you wait the less likely you will have the parts for the weekend.

Always makes me laugh that people want to deal with a company half way across the globe for cheap prices (I do it too), but then want their problems "RESOLVED IMMEDIATELY".
    If you want that sort of service then you need to deal locally.
    A company halfway across the globe from you is obviously not going to be able to offer you "IMMEDIATELY". Even if they do respond immediately, the tyranny of distance is going to mean that they will not have the part to you for maybe a week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    TR. I don't recall anyone demanding that they get the part to me by the end of the week. But to wait days to get a response, and then several more days to get it resolved when any employee can clearly see the wheel build was to include a 20mm hub is far from good customer service. Perhaps you misread the original post and thought I was trying to communicate with them via snail mail. Or, perhaps your under the impression that because CRC is overseas, it takes much longer for them to receive an email than say Competitive Cyclist. "Flame on dude!!!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have just gone through exactly the same problem. 20mm hub ordered, 9mm received.

From the time I sent an email advising of the problem (7 Oct 3:27am), through request for a copy of the wheel build/invoice, my reply & finally a reply from CRC with a set of adaptors in the post (8 Oct 9:46pm) - all up a bit over 1.5 days.

I make that to be pretty good customer service in this particular case. I the past I've also always had good service from CRC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This is ironic. I just got a set of wheels from CRC too. They were sent out only 2 business days after the order was placed and it was for a custom wheel build.

When I got them I noticed that one edge on each of the rims looked as though it was ridden on pavement w/o a tire on it. I sent an email to CRC and they asked for pics and began looking into a remedy for the situation. The response was less than one day.

EDIT:
    CRC took good care of me. Resolved the issue quick. I'd shop them again!
    Last edited by mnigro; 10-13-2009 at 06:22 AM.