Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pricepoint Rant

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Pricepoint Rant

I'm a bit pissed at pricepoint right now. I have ordered from them for about 7 years, probably over $2000 during that time. Last week I ordered some new bars, derailler, shifter, and a stem, about $400. My order showed up two days later and I received a wrong item, someone's lock on grips instead of the stem. No big deal, right?!!!

I called pricepoint and after getting disconnected twice by their system, get through to someone. I explain what happened, he kindly apologizes, says keep the grips and they will mail out the stem that day (Thursday). Well, its now Wednesday and no sign of the stem so I call to find out the status.

I get someone on the line who looks it up and says he has no record of the call. He then asks me "are you sure you called?" I explain yes, it was either that or I had a lucid dream. He comes back and says that they will send me a return label so I can send the grips back and then they will send me the stem. I explain, I have been waiting a week based on my last conversation and that is not acceptable, I will be happy to send back the grips, but get me what I ordered and what was promised. He says he can't, so I tell him to put send me a return label for the entire order and I will order from another vendor.

I get put on hold and he comes back and says they will ship the stem. The part that annoyed me was his statement afterword: "since you are sticking to your story." I really don't like being called a liar, either directly or in a passive aggressive manner. Is it the end of the world? No. Am I going to order from pricepoint again? Only if it is an item they exclusively have.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    I'm a bit pissed at pricepoint right now. I have ordered from them for about 7 years, probably over $2000 during that time. Last week I ordered some new bars, derailler, shifter, and a stem, about $400. My order showed up two days later and I received a wrong item, someone's lock on grips instead of the stem. No big deal, right?!!!

I called pricepoint and after getting disconnected twice by their system, get through to someone. I explain what happened, he kindly apologizes, says keep the grips and they will mail out the stem that day (Thursday). Well, its now Wednesday and no sign of the stem so I call to find out the status.

I get someone on the line who looks it up and says he has no record of the call. He then asks me "are you sure you called?" I explain yes, it was either that or I had a lucid dream. He comes back and says that they will send me a return label so I can send the grips back and then they will send me the stem. I explain, I have been waiting a week based on my last conversation and that is not acceptable, I will be happy to send back the grips, but get me what I ordered and what was promised. He says he can't, so I tell him to put send me a return label for the entire order and I will order from another vendor.

I get put on hold and he comes back and says they will ship the stem. The part that annoyed me was his statement afterword: "since you are sticking to your story." I really don't like being called a liar, either directly or in a passive aggressive manner. Is it the end of the world? No. Am I going to order from pricepoint again? Only if it is an item they exclusively have.
    If they said "since you are sticking to your story." to me, they would be getting their order back. Sure they don't care if lose a single customer but return shipping and credit transactions do eat into the bottom line a bit.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I was seriously contemplating returning the order and probably will.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Not to mention the power of the intranets.... thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ya if they did that to me I would send back the order too. But I have had good experiences with price point. They are right around the corner from me so I often go directly there to pick up and return items. Its just a warehouse but everytime I have been there they have been helpful. Of course YMMV.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Sounds like a complaint needs to be made about their CS reps.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've dealt with a lot of people over the phone so I'll chime in here. Whenever something like this happens, just politely ask to speak to the supervisor. Seriously, 9/10 times the supervisor is super nice and understanding and you can be sure that they will help you more than the average CS rep. If they say the supervisor isn't available, ask when they will be and if you can leave them a message/call at that time.

Personally, it's gotten to the point where sometimes I will just ask to speak to the supervisor right away (I'm looking at you Comcast). You get better service

banned
    May 2012
    **** em

Everyone gets away with bad customer service.

mtbr member
    I have had good experiences with Pricepoint. It only does takes one bad experience though as I have had many good experiences with other retailers as well. The sad thing is that this could have easily been a good review if the first person you talked to had just followed through with what he said he was going to do.

One of the things I do when talking to anyone in customer service is make sure you get their name and make sure they know you took note of it. If it was unclear or said too quickly when they first answer, ask for it again and ask them to spell it if its an odd one. Make sure when you end the call you say " Thank you name". This tends to make it more personal and motivates them to get done what they said they would do so that it doesn't come back to them. Also you have a name of the person you talked to when you call back. A date and time is also a good thing to take note of. Asking for a service ticket number, order number, RMA number, etc. is also not out of line.

Also, if you have an exceptionally good experience consider taking the time to call back, ask for a supervisor and and tell them that you had a good experience with someone which made you more likely to buy from them again. Its just returning the favor and could positively impact how they deal with future calls in general.

SpinDoctor

^^^ This

Quote Originally Posted by DECIM8 View Post
    I have had good experiences with Pricepoint. It only does takes one bad experience though as I have had many good experiences with other retailers as well. The sad thing is that this could have easily been a good review if the first person you talked to had just followed through with what he said he was going to do.

One of the things I do when talking to anyone in customer service is make sure you get their name and make sure they know you took note of it. If it was unclear or said too quickly when they first answer, ask for it again and ask them to spell it if its an odd one. Make sure when you end the call you say " Thank you name". This tends to make it more personal and motivates them to get done what they said they would do so that it doesn't come back to them. Also you have a name of the person you talked to when you call back. A date and time is also a good thing to take note of. Asking for a service ticket number, order number, RMA number, etc. is also not out of line.

Also, if you have an exceptionally good experience consider taking the time to call back, ask for a supervisor and and tell them that you had a good experience with someone which made you more likely to buy from them again. Its just returning the favor and could positively impact how they deal with future calls in general.
    It's amazing how the exchange of names serves to minimize any prickish proclivities your particular customer service rep may be inclined to.

+1 on the positive reinforcement recommendation too!

Well written post! Rep to you, interpersonal relationship guru dude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It's a good thing the internet is here for you to b*tch about your experience, because in real life no one would give a sh*t.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It's a good thing the internet is here for you to b*tch about your experience, because in real life no one would give a sh*t.
    Let me guess... you must be a customer service rep!

Lets all b*tch about other people b*tching! Awesome.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen

How is forum not "real life"? Its been here for years and will continue to be here for many more...

It seems you can not give a sh*t here too.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    If they said "since you are sticking to your story." to me, they would be getting their order back. Sure they don't care if lose a single customer but return shipping and credit transactions do eat into the bottom line a bit.
    You have it backwards: losing a small order and shipping is miniscule to the bottom line as compared to all of the potential purchasing of this now former customer and the potential loss of additional, unknown customers due to the former customers networking and negative publicity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have never had even the slightest problem from price point. In fact, I think they are best company ( mail Order) of all time. I would buy house and car insurance through them if I could...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was gonna go on a long tirade about how I thought the OP's complaint was one of the more legitimate, and the way he handled it was admirable. All so I could call you a moron.
    But Im running late for work so I'll just cut to the chase. You're a moron
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I've had nothing but good experiences with Pricepoint. I'd bet it was an isolated incedent. In my experience, a well-written email goes a long way. I've received schwag, free meals, gift cards, and apologies-simply by sending emails. If I receive bad customer service I send an email (restaurants, store, politicians, etc.)

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nomotivs View Post
    let me guess... You must be a customer service rep!

Lets all b*tch about other people b*tching! Awesome.
    lol!!!

What day are we riding?
    I have had good luck with them too - even on a screwed up order. They fixed it very quickly.

Having supervised a CS department - turnover is a bugger. It is getting harder and harder to consistently find front line CS staff that are passionate about customer service instead of being a butt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No good

I'm currently waiting to see if PricePoint comes through for me as well. I have bought from them for years with zero issues. I recently bought a Carbon Razzo frame. The bike showed up in short order and the packaging was outstanding. The problem happened when I opened up the box containing the headset parts. The webiste shows the bike comes with both the 1.5" and the 1 1/8" reducer crown. Well, I didn't get the reducer crown.

No worries right?

i call Jenson the next day, Tuesday. I talk to Joseph in sales. He apologizes to me for the ommision of the crown and says he'll send one out right away.

That evening I get an email from Joseph stating that they don't have any extra crown races and I should contact the manufacturer.

WTF?!!!

Too late to call them back so I call the next day, Wednesday. I talk to another guy, Tim, I think. He apologizes and says he will take care of it. I ask if I can pay extra to have it shipped overnight. He says it will be there in two days at no charge.

That crown better show up today or I will be pissed.

I went ahead and ordered a reducer crown from JensonUSA for $20 with two day shipping, just in case these guys let me down.

Everything was fine until Joseph's BS response now I've lost confidence in these guys. I hope they come through. I would love to build it up tonight and go for a ride tomorrow morning.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb View Post
    I'm currently waiting to see if PricePoint comes through for me as well. I have bought from them for years with zero issues. I recently bought a Carbon Razzo frame. The bike showed up in short order and the packaging was outstanding. The problem happened when I opened up the box containing the headset parts. The webiste shows the bike comes with both the 1.5" and the 1 1/8" reducer crown. Well, I didn't get the reducer crown.

No worries right?

i call Jenson the next day, Tuesday. I talk to Joseph in sales. He apologizes to me for the ommision of the crown and says he'll send one out right away.

That evening I get an email from Joseph stating that they don't have any extra crown races and I should contact the manufacturer.

WTF?!!!

Too late to call them back so I call the next day, Wednesday. I talk to another guy, Tim, I think. He apologizes and says he will take care of it. I ask if I can pay extra to have it shipped overnight. He says it will be there in two days at no charge.

That crown better show up today or I will be pissed.

I went ahead and ordered a reducer crown from JensonUSA for $20 with two day shipping, just in case these guys let me down.

Everything was fine until Joseph's BS response now I've lost confidence in these guys. I hope they come through. I would love to build it up tonight and go for a ride tomorrow morning.
    I think I found your problem you ordered the frame from Price Point but called JensonUSA to inform them about the missing crown

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    I think I found your problem you ordered the frame from Price Point but called JensonUSA to inform them about the missing crown
    Thanks for the laugh.

Well it seems Price Point is back on my prefferred list.

I came home to find 2 alloy reducers in a box from PP.

I also recieved the 1 from Jenson. So now I have three reducers when I had none.

Gotta go build up my new carbon sled. Cheers

Who is John Galt?
    I find e-mail works much better than talking to someone, and you have a "paper trail" so to speak if they don't come through. If you include your order number it helps too.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sometimes, things fall into the cracks. never order online when I'm in a hurry. That makes it easier when things have to go back and forth.

mtbr member

Similar Story

I ordered a fork back on the 1st of this month. When the order arrived, the box contained the incorrect fork. It was supposd to be a strainght steer tube and the one that arrived was a tapered. I immediatly called cutomer service. The gentleman on the phone checked inventory and said there was one remaining, and that he would contact me by email and let me know if the one remaining was in fact correct. I never heard back from him at all. I did, though, recieve a Fedex label to return the incorrect fork. I then sent the fork back. According to the tracking number, they recieved it on Monday the 9th. After waiting the two days like the website says to wait for processing, I still hadn't heard anything back. I have since called twice and was told it was bing processed and that I would recieve an email with either a tracking number for the fork being sent, or an email saying I was getting a refund.

Well, here we are on Friday and I still havent heard a thing. I now have a credit card bill in my hand with a $785.72 charge on it and I don't even have what I purchased. I find great difficulty in understanding why this hasn't been handled in a timely manner. They either have the fork or they don't. It's as simple as that.

I sent them an email saying basically what I typed above. I'm pissed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast