Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Price Point vs Jensonusa

Over the years, I have always been in favor of Jensonusa. Price, selection, availability even site navagation. They had it all and I was their loyal customer. Being cheap and frugal, I'd always cross check against other sites but I would always purchase from Jenson.

In the past 6-8 months, I have noticed that Jenson has really faded. Selection is down and their prices are much higher. Needless to say, Price Point has won me over.

Has anyone else observed the same? Any ideas as to why?
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    Over the years, I have always been in favor of Jensonusa. Price, selection, availability even site navagation. They had it all and I was their loyal customer. Being cheap and frugal, I'd always cross check against other sites but I would always purchase from Jenson.

In the past 6-8 months, I have noticed that Jenson has really faded. Selection is down and their prices are much higher. Needless to say, Price Point has won me over.

Pricepoint doesn't carry some major brands so their selection is sparse in some areas. Even for the brands they do carry, they don't always carry the full, up-to-date product line. There prices for parts that aren't a year or two old aren't always the best either. Also they have a lousy selection of service parts, small parts, bolts, etc.

Having said all that, I use them a lot and find them to be pretty awesome. Their prices for most things are very low, they ship same day every time, they are very close to me, and their Sette stuff is generally great for the money

mtbr member
    I have only bought from priceoint.com (go figure), but I do reference Jenson USA some times. They seem to have some stuff Price Point just doesnt have. I think they are both good sites depending on what you are looking for. I also buy from price point because of the shipping. I dont know how Jenson USA compares but Price Point ships same day and has very good 2 day shipping prices which works great for me because when I order I want it as soon as possible.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Pricepoint doesn't carry some major brands so their selection is sparse in some areas. Even for the brands they do carry, they don't always carry the full, up-to-date product line. There prices for parts that aren't a year or two old aren't always the best either. Also they have a lousy selection of service parts, small parts, bolts, etc.

Having said all that, I use them a lot and find them to be pretty awesome. Their prices for most things are very low, they ship same day every time, they are very close to me, and their Sette stuff is generally great for the money
    I use them both. Price Point mostly for the Sette brand stuff while I use Jenson USA for better bargains on name brand product and small parts

bog
    mtbr member
    Jenson has been awesome at price matching for me so I stick with them. Find a better deal and they'll match it.
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

GAME ON!
    i use jenson almost exclusively due to the price match and no duty shipping to canada. however, crc has started to price match some items so they may be a viable option as well.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Pricepoint seems to only have better deals on the older models. You'll seem them sell 2008 items. Jenson seems to have more selection and good prices. Pricepoint also charges mandatory insurance...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I like and use them both. They each have their unique strong points and I like to have the choice.

I have to give a thumbs up for PP's policy of shipping the same day if you order before 3pm. I live fairly close, so it arrives the next day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veritechy
    Pricepoint seems to only have better deals on the older models. You'll seem them sell 2008 items. Jenson seems to have more selection and good prices. Pricepoint also charges mandatory insurance...
    They do, and its nice that they have the older models in stock. I just got a few months ago 2008 Avid BB7s for 40 bucks a peice. You know the difference between the 2009 and 2008? Nothing! I got the Old model Race Face Ride XC Cranks for 20 dollars less than the new Ride XC Cranks. The difference is they look different and the older version I bought is lighter than the new ones. Other than that they are constructed in the same way. And pricepoint.com also price matches, so if you prefer Pricepoint but Jenson or who ever has the best price they match it.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    after my bad experience earlier in the year with jenson, i havent ordered anything else from them, and really dont plan to again.. Share your Knowledge...

mtbr member
    I like them both. And I can second Jenson's awesome price matching policy. I've never had them not match a price. Pricepoint is good as well, but be wary of their tires. They sometimes sell cheap knock off tires that are not the real deal (Panaracer Fire XC Pro). Note, they did however happily accept a return and refunded me.

I

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer
    Pricepoint is good as well, but be wary of their tires. They sometimes sell cheap knock off tires that are not the real deal (Panaracer Fire XC Pro). Note, they did however happily accept a return and refunded me.
    They are not knock offs. Jenson USA is kind of talking out there a**es on there site about there Panaracers being the real deal and the other kind of knock offs. The kind that Pricepoint.com sells are in fact made by Panaracer and use the same exact tread pattern as there more expensive brothers. They the version pricepoint sells are the thicker more durable version and the ones that Jenson USA sells are made of thinner material and are more suited towards racers.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Its got what plants crave
    Jenson has a way better selection of small parts and service items.. more obscure stuff, but usually higher prices as well. Pricepoint has a smaller selection but better prices.. presumably because they don't keep a ton of inventory on small items and special order things. Pricepoint also tends to have the last years model which IMO is awesome, especially if the previous year is identical.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    They are not knock offs. Jenson USA is kind of talking out there a**es on there site about there Panaracers being the real deal and the other kind of knock offs. The kind that Pricepoint.com sells are in fact made by Panaracer and use the same exact tread pattern as there more expensive brothers. They the version pricepoint sells are the thicker more durable version and the ones that Jenson USA sells are made of thinner material and are more suited towards racers.
    PP shill a bit? There is a difference in the tires. I have had both. The better tires have a higher TPI count and are made of seemingly better rubber... hardly something only a racer would find useful. If you want heavy, stiff, but tough tires then go with the pricepoint version. If you want a nicer tire go with the other version.

My problem with pricepoint is that they do nothing to advertise the fact that their tires are in fact made any differently, or are supposely a more 'durable' version.

That said aside from specific tires and some 'read between the lines' issues with their products I've used pricepoint on several occasions. Their shipping policy is probably the best in business or close, and they usually have great prices on many items.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zul

There selection is not that great but there prices are good

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    My problem with pricepoint is that they do nothing to advertise the fact that their tires are in fact made any differently, or are supposely a more 'durable' version.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/118...ire-26x2.1.htm

"Bead: Folding 60 TPI"
    Isn't that enough? The listed weight is also heavier than the higher-quality version....

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike
    after my bad experience earlier in the year with jenson, i havent ordered anything else from them, and really dont plan to again.. Share your Knowledge...
    lame. they had a stock issue that made you cranky so you'll never shop there again?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mini clyde
    Have had good service from both PP and Jenson .. lately Universal seems to have much better selection than PP/Jenson, though it seems like their prices are higher across the board. For expensive stuff, I'll consider ChainReaction (shipping is free once you get above $250 US or so).

I'd expect satisfactory (read: very very good) service from all of those stores, but you do have to shop around to be certain you're not paying too much for stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eedavis
    Have had good service from both PP and Jenson .. lately Universal seems to have much better selection than PP/Jenson, though it seems like their prices are higher across the board. For expensive stuff, I'll consider ChainReaction (shipping is free once you get above $250 US or so).

I'd expect satisfactory (read: very very good) service from all of those stores, but you do have to shop around to be certain you're not paying too much for stuff.
    Universal will price match many (but not all) deals. For expensive stuff I have actually found Universal to be awesome... they have a 10% coupon for orders over $100 (usually equals out to the price of ground shipping) and a 15% coupon for orders over $300, which can save a lot on big orders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So are all Pricepoint tires knockoffs? I was thinking of ordering a highroller and a nevegal from there. Both have lower listed weights than Universal for the similar tire.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by danielgreen92
    So are all Pricepoint tires knockoffs? I was thinking of ordering a highroller and a nevegal from there. Both have lower listed weights than Universal for the similar tire.

Huh? I believe I've ordered several Maxxis tires there, and as far as I know they aren't knockoffs
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Huh? I believe I've ordered several Maxxis tires there, and as far as I know they aren't knockoffs
    Nothing pricepoint.com sells is a knock off. Both panaracer tires and the real thing.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I use both allot. And i have always had good experiences with both. But the other website i like allot is http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ they usually have really good prices.

human dehumidifier
    Take a look at http://www.blueskycycling.com/ too, I just received parts from them and it worked out well The parts were all OEM (baggies and shrink wrap) but the price reflected that, so all is well, right?
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I figure out what I want, than check both sights. I just bought a 2009 Manitou fork from Jenson for a lot cheaper than they had it listed on Price Point. I bought my shoes from chainreaction, they are hard to beat for shoes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast