Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Price Point is being disingenuous with its marketing..

As many of you do as well you get these email blasts with X% off. I rarely open them up but I opened price points today.

97% off!

Wow, must be great deals. So I clicked thru their big sale. Only 1 item is 97% off and it has nothing to do with biking...

click here

And this is why I never click on any of these email blasts.

mtbr member
    I read that too. Maybe I'm skeptical or just know how marketing works but when it says "Up To 97% Off" I assume it is one item that nobody, including me, wants.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    But it has a picture of a mountain biker on it.. must be cycling related!

I think the next thing down was 93% off, and it was some Sette chain bracelet.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

_
    Mar 2004
    marketing hype, it gets you to open the email. but then it backfires because it just pisses people off into not wanting to buy anything.

i got the same email as well.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Pricepoint is a legit site. I would buy from them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Almost every online retailer does this, I am so used to it that I am not bothered. But I also get sick of the "big sales" where everything is still the same price as it was the day before the sale.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    i just got that email too...one thing i realized is that they say this week only when really they have about a sale or two every month with the same discounts. im sure ljsmith is right that the prices are the same either way haha.

regardless i still buy from them every now and them. i havent had a problem(knock on wood) and their prices are good so i will keep buying some stuff from them

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbtacolover View Post
    i just got that email too...one thing i realized is that they say this week only when really they have about a sale or two every month with the same discounts. im sure ljsmith is right that the prices are the same either way haha.

regardless i still buy from them every now and them. i havent had a problem(knock on wood) and their prices are good so i will keep buying some stuff from them
    I got suckered by their "Big Sale" a couple of years ago when I was building up my first bike... Prices weren't bad but being new to MTBing I was overly giddy about it at the time. Now I don't even bothering checking their site for well.... anything. It's like surfing through all of their "filler" items burned me out and I find it a hassle to shop from them. Cost of shipping sucks as well.
    Killing it with close inspection.

Its got what plants crave
    I like Price Point but after opening one or two of their emails I realized quickly that they never do coupons (20% off one item TODAY) or anything like that, which I appreciate. They have a consistently low price and even if they're a few bucks higher I usually use them because they're reliable. I figure part of having everyday low prices is that their marketing department has very little to work with!
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Wēk Ss
    All retailers do this. It is *up to* 97% off. All sales are like this, even with brick and mortar bike stores, clothing stores, etc. How is this new? It's been practiced for as long as I've been alive, and has been used even with paper ads, with the big splash at the top before itemized listings.

I buy a fair amount from Price Point, Jenson, etc. Their prices are fairly consistent. I never buy because of sales, but because I need something.

Former Bike Wrench
    My only issue with Price Point is that they charge "insurance" for UPS shipments that by their nature already include up to $500 insurance coverage...a bit of a gouging but otherwise they have been good to work with over the years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I got suckered by their "Big Sale" a couple of years ago when I was building up my first bike... Prices weren't bad but being new to MTBing I was overly giddy about it at the time. Now I don't even bothering checking their site for well.... anything. It's like surfing through all of their "filler" items burned me out and I find it a hassle to shop from them. Cost of shipping sucks as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    My only issue with Price Point is that they charge "insurance" for UPS shipments that by their nature already include up to $500 insurance coverage...a bit of a gouging but otherwise they have been good to work with over the years.
    yeah the shipping is quite a bit. i think i payed $30 for a $22 product cause of shipping. but they are reliable so thats why i dont mind using them

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

They're almost as pathetic as furniture stores. "Factory Authorized Clearance!" "Massive Overstock Sell Off!" "Inventory Closeout Sale!". There's a furniture warehouse near my house that's been doing a going out of business clearance sale for nearly 25 years now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    AUCTIONS starting as LOW as .99 CENTS

Class Clown
    give Jenson a try, good folks

mtbr member
    Up to 97% of business is getting someone into your store and not the other store down the street. Big box retailers will discount items below cost to drive foot traffic (think Black Friday). They know you'll need to purchase things like batteries, toilet paper, etc. Of course, this strategy works better for B&M stores vs online retailers and had more success when the economy was better. Online it's much easier to shop around, price things out, and decide where to order from.

My favorites are the folks who drive to 10-15 different stores to buy stuff on sale, then spend more money on gas then they actually saved vs buying everything at one store.

I work in marketing and wouldn't have a job if humans were really "smart"...

usually cranky
    they have pretty good prices so i use them from time to time. $40 for a 60a minion is pretty good.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Are you new to the concept of marketing?

It's all clever use of language. They will say things like, "Up to 97% off" and have just a couple of items with that marked off. So, what? They want to get you onto the site to see what else they have to offer and on sale.

You can continue ignoring the emails if you want, but decent deals often crop up on great sites like Jenson, Pricepoint, etc. They are all reputable retailers.

mtbr member
    what did you expect? a new fox fork at 97% off? PPs prices are great across the board and price match is cake. if this really bothers you, you should probably never look in a sale catalog or watch a TV commercial ever again.

Linoleum Knife
    At least they had one item that was 97% off.
    The last couple times I have clicked on Cambria's "Up to 70% off!" ads, they haven't had anything better than "30%" off.

Went to the grocery - Yogurt was $7/10. They had a big sign there that said "Low Price"

No - the low price would have been last week when it was $6/10.

I don't like Pricepoint. I don't like their marketing, I don't like their selection, I don't like their shipping surcharges, and I don't like their (utter lack of) customer support.

And I don't like all the little weasels who think that making a living by misrepresentation and blatant lies to scam a couple bucks is somehow an awesome way to go through life.

mtbr member
    how is it a scam?

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blue109 View Post
    how is it a scam?
    The OP expected 97% off the entire website.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    And BTW, their price matching is one of the best around. They will match a competitor's price 30 days AFTER your purchase.

http://www.pricepoint.com/lowest_price_guarantee.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

It happens...

I had placed a telephone order at PRICEPOINT for wheels and requested a price match.

The salesperson said they couldn't offer a price match as the wheels sold by the competitor had straight-gauge spokes and their product had double-butted spokes.

I said ok and ordered the wheels...sure enough, when they arrived the wheels had straight gauge spokes.

I don not see how this could've been accidental.
    "I can only assume chan slap is what happens when you get assaulted by Jackie Chan. I don't think anybody can prevent that."

mtbr member
    I read this whole thread and I still don't know what disingenuous means.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast