mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Price fluctuations at Performance

Has anyone else noticed the wild price fluctuations at Performance?? They have this helmet sale going on now. But if you looked earlier in the week helmet prices were $10 cheaper than today. Trainers are steadily going up. The had the travel trac on sale one day for $109, then a couple days later the sale price change to $129, then $149, now $159.

I am of the mind set I will do no more buisness with these bozos.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Perf,Nashbar,Supergo

These are all the same company now, and all three do this.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG
    Has anyone else noticed the wild price fluctuations at Performance?? They have this helmet sale going on now. But if you looked earlier in the week helmet prices were $10 cheaper than today. Trainers are steadily going up. The had the travel trac on sale one day for $109, then a couple days later the sale price change to $129, then $149, now $159.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperG

Maybe Performance sets their prices based on movement of Natural Gas and Oil Contracts . But seriously I think they do this so that if someone is continuously watching their site they'll get a deal. Its funny if you look at their prices becasue when things are not on 'sale' sometimes they are cheaper.

at least i admit it
    Dude, that is a specific marketing and sales technique. Basically, when they put an item on sale, they have to increase the price of other items minimally (usually common items u might buy with every purchase, although not always) so that their overall income for the day is almost constant whether or not there is a big sale.

Supermarkets do it all the time, most major corporations follow this trend also.
    go outside and play

Linoleum Knife
    It also has to do a lot with demand. Items like winter gloves, trainers, tights, etc. are in demand in the fall and winter. The prices will be higher, because you "need" them at those times. Not much demand for trainers on a great day in July.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    But it's not based on an individual person or tracked by a cookie to change things around.

There are often large differences between web/catalog prices also. Sometimes, as the trainer example, there are differences like 50%. Highly frustrating when you buy something and a few weeks later it's dropped by a bunch.

It doesn't matter and the original poster is only to lose if they stop buying from them. There is NO cheaper way to buy across the board stuff than Performance with these coupons and the TeamP membership. Especially if you stock up on these double point weekends like they've had this year.

Yeah, stuff for cold weather or indoor stuff is not going to be in anyone's favor for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by XC_Miles
    Maybe Performance sets their prices based on movement of Natural Gas and Oil Contracts . But seriously I think they do this so that if someone is continuously watching their site they'll get a deal. Its funny if you look at their prices becasue when things are not on 'sale' sometimes they are cheaper.

shins meet handlebar.
    Being a Performance employee, I am well aware of the # of sales we run. We take one set of Sale signs down only to put another set of signs up.

Like someone else said, I'd always keep an eye open, because eventually you will get a deal. Like our big tool kit right now is on sale for $89. It usually sells for like $149. Not too shabby, I guess.

Also, we do offer a price-match guarantee on stuff, I believe. So if w/in 30 or 90 days (I forget), you see the price lower, you can come back and get the lower price on your item. Worst case scenario, you could just return an item and re-buy it for the lower price (tons of people do this...)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Accidental Endo
    Being a Performance employee, I am well aware of the # of sales we run. We take one set of Sale signs down only to put another set of signs up.

Like someone else said, I'd always keep an eye open, because eventually you will get a deal. Like our big tool kit right now is on sale for $89. It usually sells for like $149. Not too shabby, I guess.

Also, we do offer a price-match guarantee on stuff, I believe. So if w/in 30 or 90 days (I forget), you see the price lower, you can come back and get the lower price on your item. Worst case scenario, you could just return an item and re-buy it for the lower price (tons of people do this...)
    Yeah one of my friends got a ~$1000 bike from performance, while we were in there a few weeks later for something unrelated he saw the price dropped nearly $200, so he got almost $200 back.