mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Poll: Good Reliable Trustwothy Ebay Sellers?

How about a poll for those who've had good or bad luck with Ebay sellers. Comment on shipping time, inventory, combined shipping, if you had to pay duties/customs, email response, or whatever might help the rest of us shoppers.

I've seen:

Abaxo (Taiwan?)
    Sept 19 (Thailand)
    TheRacket1 (Israel)

I've bought from Sept 19 and he shipped super quick and items were just as described
    We Ride In God's Country!

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Most of the sellers are reliable, however economy international shipping is not so much.
    Get it unlocked.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by estabro View Post
    Most of the sellers are reliable, however economy international shipping is not so much.
    Yah especially DHL!
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    How about a poll for those who've had good or bad luck with Ebay sellers. Comment on shipping time, inventory, combined shipping, if you had to pay duties/customs, email response, or whatever might help the rest of us shoppers.

I've seen:

Abaxo (Taiwan?)
    Sept 19 (Thailand)
    TheRacket1 (Israel)

I've bought from Sept 19 and he shipped super quick and items were just as described
    Abaxo is actually out of New York. Do your research before purchasing from them.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Abaxo is actually out of New York. Do your research before purchasing from them.
    They have 99.1% positive feedback on ebay. That's pretty good for a high volume seller. Your experience different than that?

IMO, they seem to advertise lower than market prices, but make up for it with higher than average shipping costs. Their bottom lines prices appear fair enough.
    Get it unlocked.

Give it a crank
    I buy all my brake pads on feeBay from "bikefridge" in Ohio. Some kinds of pads may be out of stock sometimes, so ordering long in advance when they're in stock is best. Always ships instantly.
    Last edited by Mtn-Rider; 08-28-2012 at 04:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Abaxo has always had laser fast shipping, I'm on the west coast and get my items within three business days of ordering. Never had an issue, products have always been as described.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Warrior's Society
    They have 99.1% positive feedback on ebay. That's pretty good for a high volume seller. Your experience different than that?

IMO, they seem to advertise lower than market prices, but make up for it with higher than average shipping costs. Their bottom lines prices appear fair enough.

I don't buy from them.....sounds like when the sale goes good, everything is fine.....gotta read the Neutral an Negative feedback.

Their shipping practices were enough for me to look elsewhere.

Plus it seemed as though EBay looked the other way in regards to their own policies because they are such a high volume seller.

All my post was meant to convey, is do your research before you buy......so you know what to expect.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've ordered from abaxo a couple times with no issues, but half the stuff shipped from Oklahoma not NY. Most comments are on the shipping charges which i don't get. It'd like ordering ice cream and complaining its cold.

Other good places are crosslake sales and bicycleoutfittersindy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok so Abaxo has mixed reviews. What about the other overseas sellers? Have you US folks been hit with duties? I ordered a frame from On One in the UK and got hit with a frickin $140 duty!!! I'd rather not pay that of course.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ok so Abaxo has mixed reviews. What about the other overseas sellers? Have you US folks been hit with duties? I ordered a frame from On One in the UK and got hit with a frickin $140 duty!!! I'd rather not pay that of course.
    Are you in the U.S.? import duty on finished frames is 3.9%. I was charged $25 + if i remember a $3-5 fee for a frame imported from china about 4 years ago. A complete bike is 11% i think. Maybe On One put down the wrong import code??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddouble518 View Post
    I've ordered from abaxo a couple times with no issues, but half the stuff shipped from Oklahoma not NY. Most comments are on the shipping charges which i don't get. It'd like ordering ice cream and complaining its cold.

Other good places are crosslake sales and bicycleoutfittersindy.
    Crosslakes' Canadian shipping costs are atrocious. For American buyers though, they're pretty good. (had a crankset picked up in the States by a friend)
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Shipping to Canada sucks. When I lived in NY I sold a drivetrain to someone on freebay and the cost was over $40 to ship and the buyer gave me neg feedback because he was charged over $30 for import taxes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The sellers feedback is your poll right there. Could also Google a sellers name. Are you new to Ebay? Your ques is worded like it was written 10 or 15 years ago. Ebay is now an essential option to check for many purchases. That and Amazon.com if only because of mostly no sales tax for the time being. I have done 115 purchases on ebay, always from >99% feedback. I don't remember having even one problem. Abaxo was good for me, but 99.1% IS a little low.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Abaxo has worked very well for me in the past as well. Most of their shipments come from New York, but I have received at least two packages from Oregon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What about the overseas sellers? Like I said Sept 19 was good and no duties. But what about the others? Duties seem to be hit or miss if you'll get charged

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just had a terrible experience with Crosslake Sales. Seller sent wrong item (which doesn't even fit my bike), then told me that they would send me right item asap. Two days later they told me that they DID NOT have the item and that Amazon had made a wrong listing.
    When I crosschecked Amazon I found the exact item I had bought listed with Crosslake, but now at 3 times the price I paid. When confronted with this, Crosslake Sales (the Owner) finally admitted that in fact they HAD the item in stock but wouldn't sell it at the price I had paid.
    I unfortunately had the item shipped to a friend in the US who then forwarded it to me overseas without checking the item first, so I am out USD65 for international shipping already. I don't want anything to do with Crosslake Sales anymore, so I will try to sell the fork on Ebay - I just can't tolerate liers !!!
    USD 370 out of the window so far but NOTHING could make me go back!
    That said, I have had many successful transactions on Ebay. Just make sure you also check the negative feedback - not only the positive.
    Otherwise Chainreactioncycles has served me well. But customs/toll will be charged if over the toll-free allowance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a Cotic and was worrying about duty fees as well. I calculated the fee and it wasn't anywhere near 140 bucks for just a frame. Hopefully it turns out that way. "fingers crossed"
    Pedaling Gorilla

banned
    Dec 2006

I've seen:

Abaxo (Taiwan?)
    Sept 19 (Thailand)
    TheRacket1 (Israel)

The shipping is what usually sucks
    Last edited by gridtalker; 11-15-2012 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member

READ the feedback !!

This will give you a much better feel for the seller.
    I've had a couple of diabolical transactions with virtual %100 feedback sellers; I mean these guys were the meanest SOB's ever. They had sent either damaged (and cover'd up) stuff, or goods years off advertised (big for shocks). They both knew, which made it worse. One went as far to EM my GF (who had bought a disguised shock -was trying to return) in effect telling her he knows where she lives - might come by for a "ride" sometime. He's about 6 hrs away. Totally creepy BBB (born bad baby), and he still sells at 99%. It can be done.

Thankfully these were during my first quarter of buying from eBay, and since -over 100 items later, my experience has been much better; by reading the actual feedback. What constituted the neutral & negative marks? These SAY A LOT more than endless "thumbs up" feedback. Use articulate language w seller, utilize Paypal wisely and announce you always give very accurate feedback. Doing all this keeps my transactions relatively prompt, honest, economical, no matter the item integrity.

Be a raging sleuth when using eBay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Avoid abaxo!!!!

I just bought a set of brake rotors from them. I purchased them in seperate listing. One was 180 and the other was 160. Both listed as new.

I received them. They sent 2 160 rotors!!. One was in the box and the other was loose in an envelope and looked different from the other one. They won't respond to message besides the automated ones from "Sabrina."

I filed a dispute and within minutes they told me to return the item and I pay shipping for their error. I looked at their feedback and it looks like when you return you get nothing so I escalated it to a claim/

GAME ON!
    theproscloset and wheelandsprocketos have been great for me.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    theproscloset and wheelandsprocketos have been great for me.
    Great sellers. Wheelandsprockets have brick and mortar stores in Wisconsin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    +1 on wheel and sprocket. I have purchased from their ebay store several times and one time I had an item on my door step 24 hours after ordering it (I live across the state in WI). I've been in one of their stores in Appleton, very cool. I have purchased two carbon frames from China and everything went really well as well as a bunch of stuff from CRC in England.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    They (Abaxo) have 99.1% positive feedback on ebay. That's pretty good for a high volume seller. Your experience different than that?
    True, but 21 negative feedback in the past month (and 453 in the past year) still seems pretty high. Although, having sold enough stuff on eBay over the years, I know one out of every couple hundred buyers seems to be a complete wackjob!

I'd rather buy my Wellgo MG-1s from an LBS or reputable online dealer, but I can't seem to find 'em anywhere but eBay and Amazon...