Freshly Fujified

Performance tools/return experience

I purchased the Spin Doctor team Tool kit a couple years ago when I purchased my first frame to build from the ground up. While the tool kit has served me well through 4 builds from scratch, two teardowns and rebuilds, and countless adjustments/tune ups, I recently broke the tip off my T25 torx wrench, and rounded off the 4mm hex head on the Y-hex wrench.

I took both tools back to the local Performance today and told them that I was there to swap out two broken tools. The cashier asked if I had my receipt and I said "no". He seemed a bit confused and looked towards a few other employees hanging out in the service area, and I said "I'm gonna look around, when I get back, let me know if we're going to be able to make the exchange". Two minutes later I come back to the register, and there are two brand new relacement tools on the counter. I asked if there was anything I needed to fill out, he said "no". I walked out the door and that was the end of things.

While not necessarily a glowing reference on their tool quality (they're not Pedros or Parks, but I knew that when I bought them), this is another instance of proof that they stand behind their "100% satisfaction guarantee". FWIW, while I'd rather have the Parks tools, I can not afford them. The Spin Doctor tools have served me well and while I've broken two, I'd still buy their products again.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member

They work

You're right the quality of the tools are not as good as park, but they're less expensive and they work. I've had my set about 5 years now and they still do the job. I didn't know they guarenteed them. Maybe I'll go break some so I can get some new ones.

banned
    I love that....

"I'll browse and be back in 5... let me know if I am going to be throttling you or walking out with replacement tools... thanks.. be right back..."

mtbr member
    I, too own some spin doctor tools. You have to be careful with cheap hex (allen) wrenches. A rounded hex key will quickly round out a screw head.

Freshly Fujified

Too funny

Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    I love that....

"I'll browse and be back in 5... let me know if I am going to be throttling you or walking out with replacement tools... thanks.. be right back..."

LOL...I wanted to give the guy the chance to do the right thing. I'm pretty sure I would have gotten my way in the end .

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Map Maker

park

For what its worth - I can't really afford the Park tools either, but I've been saving up my pennies and buy them when ever I can.

I've made two phone calls to Park over the last 5 years - both times they sent me brand new tools / gear in the mail with no hesitation.

First was a P-handle 5mm wrench that I had used so much it was starting to round a bit.

Second was a floor pump. They sent me a new presta/ schrader valve head and pressure gauge.
    Park also talked me through a repair right over the phone to take apart the whole pump and find a little piece of plastic that had blown back into the valve and was causing the pressure from the tire to back feed into the pump.
    GREAT customer service!
    I am glad you got good customer service from Performance as well.

Its good to hear some sucess stories after so many sob stories on these boards.

They are more expensive but you get what you pay for - a great quality tool that will last a long time.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splangy
    I, too own some spin doctor tools. You have to be careful with cheap hex (allen) wrenches. A rounded hex key will quickly round out a screw head.

yeah, but a Park hex wrench will round out eventually too. I actually like my Sears allens, they are always very good about replacing them. You can't count on hex wrenches (especially the 5mm, which I use just about daily) lasting forever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I like performance bike for basic tools and parts. They have really friendly people at the one I go to and they provide sooo much information and what not to the basic bikers who ride on the weekend. It's really nice to keep those guys in business. Plus their prices are great too. Lets put it this way, if it were a mom n pop lbs, you wouldn't be getting a swap.

pagbilao quezon
    i got their cheap Hurricane Micro Mini Pump by Hurricane $12, it works like a charm, i love cheap products LOL
    FEAR IS YOUR ONLY GOD!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i've found performance employees to be hit or miss. a few years ago i bought a 2 piece mini tool that snapped together. After a few months, the snap broke. Not a huge deal, but i liked the functionality and convenience of having both halves of my tool in one place. It also had a lifetime warranty, so i brought it back.

I was asked if i had a receipt, which i thought was puzzling bc it was the Performance Brand and the tool had a lifetime warranty. When i brought this to the employees attention, he said, "Yeah, ok, but it's used". Well, yeah, of course it's used, but i only used it for a few months, which is significantly less than a "lifetime".

I hate being the "can i talk to your manager" guy, but i was that guy...and the manager replaced the tool no questions asked.

I think the thing with Performance is they have pretty high turnover (compared to the other high end LBSs in my area), and the guy selling me a tool was likely serving up coffee a few weeks earlier. The long timers are very knowledgable, and friendly, but the newbies are not always so great.

I've generally had good luck with their tools.

anyone else smell that?
    i once had sears refuse to refund me without a receipt. it was a sears crafstman tool that i received 2 of for my birthday. i had to 'see the manager' to get a store credit. didn't understand the difficulty really....i mean it was a crafstman item!

this was before you could buy craftsman stuff at k-mart....at least around here. we don't have many k-marts left.

Nothing here
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl
    i once had sears refuse to refund me without a receipt. it was a sears crafstman tool that i received 2 of for my birthday. i had to 'see the manager' to get a store credit. didn't understand the difficulty really....i mean it was a crafstman item!

this was before you could buy craftsman stuff at k-mart....at least around here. we don't have many k-marts left.
    That's bogus man. Gone are the days when you can just walk in with a broken tool and walk out with a brand new one with no questions asked. I remember my dad bringing in his broken tools all the time without a receipt and getting new one like snap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownrash
    That's bogus man. Gone are the days when you can just walk in with a broken tool and walk out with a brand new one with no questions asked. I remember my dad bringing in his broken tools all the time without a receipt and getting new one like snap.
    Last time I did it, about 8 months ago, they just asked me to explain what was wrong with it - I guess the guy didn't understand that you could use a hex wrench so much it wore out. It took all of about 5 minutes, I've never had it take longer. not sure what trouble you've had

mtbr member
    May 2006
    People would abuse the craftsman thing by going to yard sales and what not and buying up broken rusted tools and getting new ones from sears. Maybe not an abuse to some, but to me it is....

NardoSS
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl

Steal tools from a garage, return for new product, then sell on line. Yeah, things change for a reason. Sit in the back of your garage with the door open for an hour and you can lose count of the people that hit their brakes to check out what's inside.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by splangy

I also have spin doctor tools and I have had no problems with them

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    delete..
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX