Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dat mah bike, punk!

Performance sucks, but...

I swung by the Performance Shop in Ventura CA, just to check it out while the wife and baby kicked it at the toys R us and IT SUCKS COCKROACH BALLS. It used to be a Supergo, which had at least good parts all over the place. Now it's just become a barren wasteland of mediocrity. It was sad. And the employees? poor overall knowledge and a generally unhelpful attitude.

That said, here are some forks they're 'blowing out'(LOL, yes i'm shameless). might be a deal in there if you look, or might not, not sure...i thought the Shiver SC was particularly interesting. the fork on the way left is a 66Light, $560. The forks above i didn't even notice....Performance might suck, but they have a deal every once in a while. But i ain't goin' back there.

and i thought Supergo sucked. I wish they came back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i always liked the name Supergo...but I'll take any bike shop over another Walmart
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

I endorse self propulsion
    why would you bring your camera into a store that you know sux? and take pictures? not that i care, just wondering what starts that mental tidal wave of a good idea
    "Pops trippin', he want me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I know people rag on Performance but I suspect those are the ones who don't take advantage of their 100% lifetime money back guarantee. Its a no brainer...you can upgrade every year to a new model and just return your old stuff. They take back anything...cables, clothing, brake pads.

Concerning photo, I don't know of any shop that stocks half that many forks.

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by rconceptsinc
    I know people rag on Performance but I suspect those are the ones who don't take advantage of their 100% lifetime money back guarantee. Its a no brainer...you can upgrade every year to a new model and just return your old stuff. They take back anything...cables, clothing, brake pads.

brake pads?? they'll take back used brake padds?

anyway, yeah i do take pics of random stuff, a wall of forks being one of them. genius isn't it?
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Trying a little
    I agree - Supergo actually had some decent stuff Performance seemed to cut the selection in half. Their sales staff are scary bad, they don't even seem to know what planet they are on let alone that they work in a bike shop.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I miss our Supergo up here in Seattle. It wasn't the greatest, but at least they had some FR/DH stuff that went on special once in a while.

mtbr member
    The Perfromance here (Atlanta on I85) is actually not that bad. Friendly staff and 2 or 3 of the sales people really do know their stuff.

banned
    I love Performance. I got a new barrel adjuster for my XT rederailleur for just 75 cents last week and they always get out of jams when I break something.

The individual store's treat you differently but you can't argue with their deals and the fact they're located just about anywhere you need them.
    Last edited by Becane73; 01-08-2007 at 08:47 AM.

anyone else smell that?
    Quote Originally Posted by rconceptsinc

didn't know they had that. that is why i've been getting stuff from (stuff i'm iffy on...like seats, etc) from rei. they have that no questions asked return policy as well.

and when you say 100% lifetime money back.....what lifetime? could they come back and say, well 1 year on brake pads is a lifetime or something like that? just a wonderin'.

mtbr member
    I have returned a seat to them after I used it for a few month. That was no problem and the seat was clearly used.

mtbr member
    So if I wanted to go riding at night, I could purchase a light from them, use it over the winter, and return it once the days got longer? This is just too good

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have three Performance Bike shops within 20 minutes of me. I find they are good for small parts, tools, etc. If you can find a part in stock it is almost always on sale or on promotion so the price is often close to mail order. Plus they will warranty/replace tools, etc. if you break something. I noticed one day that they had some NIB 05' Reba Race w/poplock's in stock. I offered the Manager $250 for one and she said yes. I felt this was a great deal and probably could have turned around and sold if for much more.

Nothing here
    I think Performance would be a step up where I live. I used to live in Chicago and thought they were just OK. But then I moved to Indianapolis and realized that they have more stock than all the LBSs around here. If I ever need a part and walk into the LBS it go like this "hi , I'm looking for part x" "oh sorry never heard of it, but we can order it for you". Gee thanks. I can order it myself, for cheaper too usually. I think the prices would be more competetive as well. I was given a gift card for a LBS I usually never go to and walk in today. I picked up four 16g CO2 carts for $3.99 each . Yeah, a rip, but there was nothin else in the store I wanted. That is some mighty expensive air I tell ya.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTV8
    I have three Performance Bike shops within 20 minutes of me. I find they are good for small parts, tools, etc. If you can find a part in stock it is almost always on sale or on promotion so the price is often close to mail order. Plus they will warranty/replace tools, etc. if you break something. I noticed one day that they had some NIB 05' Reba Race w/poplock's in stock. I offered the Manager $250 for one and she said yes. I felt this was a great deal and probably could have turned around and sold if for much more.
    I find the service at the shop in Oceanside is excellent. They have a friendly knowledgeable staff and I have gotten some stellar deals. I got my Reba team for 250. I got 2 Easton monkey bars for 40 bucks each and sold them for 85. Did the same with 5 pairs of Time Atac xe pedals I got for 31 bucks a pair. I ebayed them each for over 80 bucks each. There are some good deals to be had and I have never had a problem with returns even on parts that I abused. I brought back a cassette with a bent ring. they exchanged it no questions asked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownrash
    I think Performance would be a step up where I live. I used to live in Chicago and thought they were just OK. But then I moved to Indianapolis and realized that they have more stock than all the LBSs around here. If I ever need a part and walk into the LBS it go like this "hi , I'm looking for part x" "oh sorry never heard of it, but we can order it for you". Gee thanks. I can order it myself, for cheaper too usually. I think the prices would be more competetive as well. I was given a gift card for a LBS I usually never go to and walk in today. I picked up four 16g CO2 carts for $3.99 each . Yeah, a rip, but there was nothin else in the store I wanted. That is some mighty expensive air I tell ya.
    I'm in Indy, too, and try my darndest to support our LBSs. But sometimes I just can't bend over that far. I understand that we're a small market and that trying to break even means trying to get close to MSRP, but as a consumer, the premium for convenience doesn't matter each and every time.

That said, most of them seem open to conversations...

Hey, I'm going to start another topic re: warranty claims. Look here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...61#post2677261

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The performance in SF seems good. The online service is crap though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    performance here in NC is awesome,but it's one of the original ones. The main wrench is probably the best and most knowledgeable one around. They do have awesome clearance, and the "outlet" section has good stuff (where they send returns) cuz it's all 40% off. Had an '07 Manitou Black in there but someone else got it before I did. Got some awesome sram shifters for $40 on sale, returned them after I installed them to get twisties instead. I also live in the same county as their warehouse, so I love performance. Might get a job there in the fall

banned
    duuuuuude..... Performance Bikes is the best....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Perf. in Boulder

The performance in Boulder is the # 1 performing store in the USA. It is like a LBS, the manager is cool, the prices are great, Team Perf. is a good deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    In Richmond VA none of the bike shops are perfect,but Performance is the one most likely to have in stock tubes,tools,chains,tires etc.,at reasonable or sale prices.The other bike shops generally have higher prices,less selection of parts,but more high end bikes and frames.I also would trust the Performance mechanics to work on my bikes although they are not my first choice in Richmond.What is annoying about Performance,but also fun at times is that you must play a complicated game with coupons,coupon codes,Team Perf.identification and points,as well as %off promotions that only last 2 hours, in order to obtain the best prices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i work at performance, they treat their employees like sh!t. i work there and i shop at the other lbs and onlne b/c i don't want to give them any $$

Nothing here
    Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN
    i work at performance, they treat their employees like sh!t. i work there and i shop at the other lbs and onlne b/c i don't want to give them any $$
    You don't get an employee discount? That's bass ackwards. Maybe you ought to get a job at the LBS you shop at. That would make more sense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    we're supposed to but our manager is a complete jerk, all he cares about is profits. he always shafts us on discounts so that the store makes more $$. the other day i got a thule sidearm for my roof rack, i was supposed to give me 30% off but he only gave me 5% then when i called him out he mumbled some **** and walked off.

Endurance Junkie
    Dude you let him do that to you,My better half works at performance in AZ and i know that s**t would not fly here, call him on it if he does'nt give correct discount LET HUMAN RESOURCES take care of his A**. (stand up for yourself !!! )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast