Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Performance shipping ... sigh

Man, wish I'd read more threads before ordering from Performance Bikes online. Saw that 20% off a single item and my eyes lit up for that new fork I need.

So, 11 days ago (and counting), I ordered a new RS Recon 351 for my first frame-up build. And I'm still waiting.

Several days ago I called to cancel and was informed my order was already processed and shipped. Still hasn't shown up. I've since bought a Maverick SC32 fork and my build is nearly done. I'll just send the Recon back when/if it appears.

Hard to believe in 2008 a company the size of Performance could be so backward in its shipping. When I order something, it's because I need it; guess I'll continue using Jenson.

Just a head's up for those that might be ignorant like I was.
    d

SBK
    HMFIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Hard to believe in 2008 a company the size of Performance could be so backward in its shipping. When I order something, it's because I need it; guess I'll continue using Jenson.
    Not sure what you're saying - Are you suggesting Performance didn't really ship when they said they did? Sometimes BIG operations like that can't stop an order once it's been dispatched to the shipping area, after the parts have been "picked." That's not a Performance problem, it's a big-company problem - many of the online electronics/gadget sellers like Amazon, Buy.com, etc are the same way.

Performance has always been super easy to deal with for me on returns, they have taken stuff for all kinds of reasons and handled them as well as any other catalog-type seller I've dealt with. No question, it's not like dealing with Chad, Larry, The Path, or any of the "real people" or smaller shops, but it's the tradeoff of mass-quantity pricing.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your beef with PerfBike.
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I thought I was being clear. I'm now 11 days in on a simple order and haven't received what I paid for yet. I don't doubt the part will show up. Eventually.

I suppose I'm used to places like Jenson, where I order parts and they show up two-three days later.

If you're suggesting that Performance's size prevents them from shipping promptly, well, I guess I don't understand that logic. Seems they'd be more efficient, now less.
    d

mtbr member
    I thought I was being clear. I'm now 11 days in on a simple order and haven't received what I paid for yet. I don't doubt the part will show up. Eventually.

I suppose I'm used to places like Jenson, where I order parts and they show up two-three days later.

If you're suggesting that Performance's size prevents them from shipping promptly, well, I guess I don't understand that logic. Seems they'd be more efficient, now less.
    d
    Jenson's order show up quickly because they are in SoCal and very close to you, so when you order parts with ground shipping they still only take 3 days at most. I believe Performance's warehouse is on the east coast, and you probably ordered your fork with ground shipping. Of course it will take longer.

They also have a link on their front page for "Order Status" so you can't blame them if you didn't know it had shipped. In fact, if you go there now you can probably find a tracking number for your fork.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I suppose I am not making my point clearly enough. I placed my order on 5.13. The order status never changed until 5.20 (possibly 5.19 to be fair, can't remember). What was happening with the order during that six or seven days?

Conversely, I placed an order via Jenson during the am hours of 5.23. Order had shipped and I had a tracking number when I got home from work that night.

Is that clear?

FWIW, I have no connection w/ Jenson. I had never ordered from Performance before. I know they have decent deals on occasion in store, but I won't order from the site again.

mtbr member
    I suppose I am not making my point clearly enough. I placed my order on 5.13. The order status never changed until 5.20 (possibly 5.19 to be fair, can't remember). What was happening with the order during that six or seven days?

Conversely, I placed an order via Jenson during the am hours of 5.23. Order had shipped and I had a tracking number when I got home from work that night.

Is that clear?

FWIW, I have no connection w/ Jenson. I had never ordered from Performance before. I know they have decent deals on occasion in store, but I won't order from the site again.
    Ahh, that makes more sense. Unfortunately you can run into this with almost any online store. No one actually stocks every single one of these parts except the distributors, and no one wants to have a huge inventory of expensive parts on their hands.

Many sites will list something as "in stock", but all that means is that it is available for the store to order it from the distributor and then send it to you. Good stores like Jenson, Universal, and many others give you an estimate of when it will actually ship to you.

It doesn't look like Performance does the same. Chances are that Performance didn't have the fork on hand and had to wait to get it from the distributor first. It sucks they they weren't more upfront about it

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    was that 11 'business' days?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Jebus, sorry I posted this. I posted the dates above; if you're confused, do the math.

Cripes, if it's OK with you to take forever to get parts, by all means, rock on. I learned my lesson.

SBK
    HMFIC
    Jebus, sorry I posted this. I posted the dates above; if you're confused, do the math.

Cripes, if it's OK with you to take forever to get parts, by all means, rock on. I learned my lesson.
    d, nobody is suggesting that it's not frustrating to take some time to get an order from any seller. I think folks were just trying to help understand why it may have taken longer than expected.

In my case/location, an order shipped from Jenson via Ground at that same time would not be in my hands until at least Tuesday of next week (Monday at the earliest without the holiday). I have to agree with boomn's assessment that they probably didn't have the fork on hand at the time of your order, hence the delay before it shipped out. My personal experiences with Performance are more in line with yours with Jenson - I always have a tracking number within 12-24 hours of ordering, so long as the items are in-stock. The rest is up to the shipping company if I'm expecting a Ground package.

Sorry to hear of your frustration with Performance, hope your build turns out as planned anyway!
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Ok, I did the math, 8 business days. You have to consider 5 of those at least for shipping from east to west coast, via ground. On top of that, if they don't have the unit in stock, there's a couple more days. I speak from experience, I tend to order a lot of crap from CA, and I expect at least 5 days shipping. I guess the lesson is Performance doesn't keep everything in stock, sometimes it's good to actually call and speak with someone. They might have more info about expected stock. Just saying... didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Sorry your experience was poor, at least they'll take the items back with no worries.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm not particularly frustrated with performance; I've already bought other parts and am good to go. I believed the online store telling me the part was in stock. Actually, based on other threads I've read since I placed the order, I suspect the parts were in stock all along. It just took all that time for them to process the order.

Anyway, if you're happy with the company that's all that counts. I'll stick with the other west coast companies that I know get my parts here in reasonable time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    the problem i find with performance when they ship up to me in Canada is that they don't tell me the USPS tracking #. If they would just tell me that one number i could track it using both USPS's site and Canada Post's site. that's just my quarral with them, and not to mention waiting 6 weeks for my order to get to me...and I am on the east coast too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'd have to agree.....If you select their cheapest shipping option it takes longer than most vendors to receive your item. I'm in the east coast and it still takes them over a week to get the item into my hands. I usually shell out the extra $$ (5 bucks or so) and select the fedex 2nd day service and I don't have any issues with that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    shipping things via ground across the country is slow as hell.. you shouldnt be too surprised about that.

ive ordered a few things from performance and they show up VERY fast. its worth joining their club thing just for the upgraded shipping alone. once you buy 200 bucks worth of stuff it pays for itself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Performance has the slowest shipping in the business. They use 3rd party shippers that slow roll your package to the nearest USPS. It sits at the USPS facility for a day or two before being dispatched.

DO NOT ORDER FROM PERFORMANCE UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR 2nd DAY SHIPPING.

Probikekit in the UK delivers to Florida in 4 days. Performance takes 15 to 21 days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Userid is spot on. It's worth it to join Team Performance for the 2nd day shipping alone.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    They also bork up orders to Canada. I ordered some stuff a few months back and selected USPS shipping (because UPS and Fedex rape you on cross-border fees). They shipped it Fedex anyways and told me that the USPS option shouldn't have come up for Canadian customers. Since they dropped off the items at my door while I'm at work I didn't even have the option to refuse the shipment. I'm just waiting for the hefty bill for the brokerage fees (usually about 20% of the purchase price) to show up from Fedex....

Its got what plants crave
    To tell whether it's really Performance's fault or not, you'll have to track the package. It's possible UPS misrouted your package which is why it would take 5+ days to get there. It's also possible Performance sat around a couple of days before placing the order. I think Performance as a whole kinda sucks. I found a wheelset I wanted for cheap after the 10% discount, and at the time they were offering free shipping. It turns out they wanted to charge me 30 bucks for "oversize" shipping even tho a wheelbox isn't necessarily heavy OR that bulky. UPS charges by weight, not package size, so Performance is just trying to get a few bucks for shipping. Companies that try to squeeze extra money out of you for shipping piss me off. I can have just about anything to my door in a couple of days for next to nothing from other vendors like Jenson or Pricepoint. IMO Performance kinda sucks... the only time they're worth order from is when you can get something for 20% off and even then it's about what everyone else is charging regular price when all is said and done.

SBK
    HMFIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I think Performance as a whole kinda sucks. I found a wheelset I wanted for cheap after the 10% discount, and at the time they were offering free shipping. It turns out they wanted to charge me 30 bucks for "oversize" shipping even tho a wheelbox isn't necessarily heavy OR that bulky. UPS charges by weight, not package size, so Performance is just trying to get a few bucks for shipping. Companies that try to squeeze extra money out of you for shipping piss me off.
    Actually, you're wrong on the size/weight thing. I speak from personal experience on this point. UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. all charge large/bulky packages over a certain size as "Dimensional Weight." Here's a link to UPS's own rules: Dimensional Weight at UPS

As an example:
    5 lb Package, Size: 14" x 14" x 14" (typical for bike parts) - Billed UPS at 5 lbs
    5 lb Package, Size: 27" x 27" x 10" (typical wheelset box) - Billed UPS at 38 lbs

Any seller who isn't hitting you with an additional "oversize" charge of some form on a wheelset is losing money by shipping at the actual weight of the box. It's a fact. In reality, both Jenson and Pricepoint add $ for an oversize package like a wheelset.

I'm not a Performance apologist, without question they are the WalMart/Target of bike crap. I buy little stuff there, and the items that they have good pricing on. Other stuff with better deals elsewhere get bought elsewhere. I agree, their oversize charge ($33 at Perf vs. $22 at Jenson and $20 at PricePoint for the same wheelset shipping) is a bit inflated, but that's why I personally generally don't buy stuff like wheelsets at Performance. There are good deals to be had at PerfBike for consumables when compared to other online sellers, and for that kind of stuff I've never personally had a problem with them.

Online "price shopping" requires the inclusion of the shipping charge. If your wheelset was $15 (or more) cheaper at PerfBike vs. Jenson, it's still a better deal. If not, then buy local (ideally) or from Jenson for sure.
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    To clarify further. I ordered on 5.13. To be fair, it was late in the evening, so they wouldn't have gotten the order until 5.14. Checking my tracking file that performance sent to my e-mail, my package shipped to me from Martinsburg, WV on 5.22. It arrived in Phx on 5.24. Based on the holiday, it'll probably show up at my house today, at which time I'll send it back.

To continue to be fair, there was a weekend during Performance's processing time. But by my calculation, there were six working day between them receiving my order and shipping it (5.14 to 5.22, excluding the two-day weekend).

Therein lies my real beef that perhaps I've been unsuccessful in relaying. What was going on during those six days?

It's academic for me at this point, but thought it might be useful for other folks.
    d

SBK
    HMFIC
    To continue to be fair, there was a weekend during Performance's processing time. But by my calculation, there were six working day between them receiving my order and shipping it (5.14 to 5.22, excluding the two-day weekend).

Therein lies my real beef that perhaps I've been unsuccessful in relaying. What was going on during those six days?
    But keeping with your proposal for fairness, how would anyone on MTBR possibly know the answer? Not being difficult here, but the only folks who can really answer your question are PerfBike, I think. Some on the thread believe that PerfBike simply "sat on" your order and were flat out lazy in shipping it out. That's certainly a possibility. Others have proposed that it may have been because the item was not in-stock at the time of your order, or went out-of-stock between the time you clicked the button and they went to pull your fork for shipment. Equally possible, no? If you're seriously interested in finding out why your fork wasn't shipped swiftly, a call is probably the only possible recourse.

Will they cop to being lazy if that was the case? Probably not, who would? In the absence of an answer from Performance themselves, it's really all just speculation. Just my $0.02 as usual...
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sure you're not a Performance apologist?

The reality is, it's academic WHY it took that long. It DID take that long and that's not acceptable to me without some form of communication.

Unfortunately, after placing my order I did some research on here and found plenty of other folks with the same experience. Now that I've had that experience, I know it to be true. In the future, I'll shop accordingly.

SBK
    HMFIC
    Sure you're not a Performance apologist?
    Heh, nope - just logical! Asking on an internet forum (rather than asking the folks who have some chance of answering accurately) why your item was not shipped on time just doesn't make any sense to me unless you're really not interested in finding out the answer to the question. I prefer to ask my questions to those who can actually answer them - that's all.

I don't necessarily blame you on being upset. As I said, that's why I generally don't shop big-ticket items from a supermarket-type shop like Performance. If I need something urgently or by a certain date, I prefer to deal with human beings directly as it's the only way to get something handled appropriately. Same thing with any other mass-retailer online like Amazon, Buy.com, etc.

Either way, as before - hope your build went together as planned and you got to enjoy the new ride over the Holiday weekend.
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    In the interest of accuracy, I never asked here why my item wasn't shipped in a timely manner. I simply commented that it wasn't.

Thanks for the kind words. The holiday kinda screwed up my deliveries, so all my remaining crap is coming today. That's OK, I still rode the 29er the last couple of days.
    d

SBK
    HMFIC
    In the interest of accuracy, I never asked here why my item wasn't shipped in a timely manner. I simply commented that it wasn't.
    I placed my order on 5.13. The order status never changed until 5.20 (possibly 5.19 to be fair, can't remember). What was happening with the order during that six or seven days?
    But by my calculation, there were six working day between them receiving my order and shipping it (5.14 to 5.22, excluding the two-day weekend).

Got it, the "what was happening / what was going on during those six days" was what I was equating to "why didn't it ship right away?" My bad!

Thanks for the kind words. The holiday kinda screwed up my deliveries, so all my remaining crap is coming today. That's OK, I still rode the 29er the last couple of days.
    d
    I'm 100% 29er these days, some quality seat time on a big-wheel always makes my days better. Rode a bit myself, it was nice to get some miles in. I know it's been warm out your way, but it's just now getting warm in Michigan.
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast