mtbr member

Performance product reviews fake?

Anyone ever give a low rating on an item in the "new" Performance product review that showed? Rated something with one "star" not too long ago and it never made it onto the site, even though I am a "verified" reviewer....
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

TurnURComputerOff&GoRide

Shop reviews are not the same as MTBR

Many of the on-line vendors routinely delete reviews that are not positive. Iíve had it happen twice to me. One where everything I said was moderately positive, but I gave the product 3 out of 5 and this vendor only publishes ratings of 4 and above.

At the end of the day, you should not be surprised by this as they make their money selling stuff and negative reviews wonít help them, and it is their website.
    You just need to remember that vendor hosted reviews should always be taken with a degree of skepticism, especially sites that have no negative reviews whatsoever.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob
    Anyone ever give a low rating on an item in the "new" Performance product review that showed? Rated something with one "star" not too long ago and it never made it onto the site, even though I am a "verified" reviewer....

The only info you can gleen from those reviews is maybe some guidance on sizing. For example, with the Performance Ultra shorts you need to size up from your normal size or the Perfomance Ultra jersey is a race cut so if you want a more relaxed fit again you'll have to size up. But everything is guaranteed 100%, so if you don't like it, take it back. Save your receipts if you want your money back, otherwise you're stuck with credit.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member

Kudos to Performance (for once!)

I REposted my negative rating of one of their item, and it did show up a few days later. They added a comment themselves but they posted it. First compliment I have given performance in quite a while....
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This practice is not exclusive to Performance, there are a ton of sites that will only post reviews they choose (Newegg comes to mind). The thing about online reviews is they are usually motivated by negativity. That is if you are unhappy with something, you are more likely to alert others since you feel like you've been wronged. Only a small percentage of satisfied customers will post positive reviews since many feel they got what they paid for, end of story.

The same applies to billing errors. If you order something for $100 and they only charge your credit card $50, are you going to alert the company about the mistake? Generally the answer is no but there are a few extremely honest people out there. Lets change the situation and say you order something for $50 and they chare you $100. I'm confident enough to say that, if not 100%, 99% of the people that have experienced this scenario have alerted the company of the mistake.