mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Performance- customer service??????

For those who like to use companies that provide good or even adequate customer service, STAY AWAY FROM PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

On 9/6 I ordered brakes that were supposedly in stock. Two days later my order was shipped and the front brakes were said to be on backorder. When I called I was told the brakes would be in on the 22nd. On the 24th I was told they should be in "any day now." Checking the website on 10/3 showed the brakes would be in on 10/20. Today I called to find out what was going on. Now I'm told "late October to early November" for a delivery date. When I asked what could be done to make up for this and keep me as a customer I was given a choice of either $5 off the shipping I had already paid or a $5 certificate toward my next purchase. I chose the shipping refund as there will be no more purchases from a company that treats it's custmers this way.

Rant over...carry on.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldson
    For those who like to use companies that provide good or even adequate customer service, STAY AWAY FROM PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

On 9/6 I ordered brakes that were supposedly in stock. Two days later my order was shipped and the front brakes were said to be on backorder. When I called I was told the brakes would be in on the 22nd. On the 24th I was told they should be in "any day now." Checking the website on 10/3 showed the brakes would be in on 10/20. Today I called to find out what was going on. Now I'm told "late October to early November" for a delivery date. When I asked what could be done to make up for this and keep me as a customer I was given a choice of either $5 off the shipping I had already paid or a $5 certificate toward my next purchase. I chose the shipping refund as there will be no more purchases from a company that treats it's custmers this way.

Rant over...carry on.
    Yep, I think they are the ones that if you are exchanging something will require you to pay to ship the item back to them and then pay AGAIN to have them ship the replacement item. Lame..

mtbr member
    Performance is a unique store. Their online prices change daily and everything is 'on sale'. When you order from performance, you need to have a lot of paitence. I mean ALOT!

Sometimes they have great deals, sometimes they suck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yes, and this has been discussed so many times that you'd think people would be aware of the potential risks of ordering from them.

Their inventory is not real-time so especially during big sales you're likely to run into this.

I notice you didn't ask for your money back - what most people would have done if they were in a hurry. Tells me that the low price you probably received was more important to you than getting it quick. Fine... but if you were THAT unhappy you should have taken your business elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffS
    Yes, and this has been discussed so many times that you'd think people would be aware of the potential risks of ordering from them.

Their inventory is not real-time so especially during big sales you're likely to run into this.

I notice you didn't ask for your money back - what most people would have done if they were in a hurry. Tells me that the low price you probably received was more important to you than getting it quick. Fine... but if you were THAT unhappy you should have taken your business elsewhere.
    I haven't been on this board long enough to have read these dicussions you speak of.
    I have always had good luck with them in the past.
    I did request a refund.
    I am taking my business elsewhere.
    Thank you for your condescending attitude.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=6]
    Performance=monkey madness
    [/SIZE]

banned
    Nashbar and Performance are the same company

mtbr member
    Performance offered free shipping. I oredered a bike, and was charged $40 for shipping. First i put it in amex dispute(i dont pay) they insisted on sending me a return shipping label even though it would be cheaper to just refund shipping. I shipped it back. Its three months now, they still havent credited my account.
    That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death
    by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it,"
    --A Democratic congressional candidate in Texas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've had great luck with them. I've had a problem with a charger for one of the performance brand light sets for close to 2 years and it finally gave up on me. I sent them an email and offered to exchange or refund if I shipped them back. Seemed to be great service to me, sorry you didn't have the same luck. Everytime I order brakes or brake parts on line, I seem to run into problems too. I recently ordered some new brakes that were supposed to ship in 2 days but ended up taking 7 days to ship. I hate waiting...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've always had good luck with them. I know that their selection leaves a little bit to desire, but their prices are great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    [color="DeepSkyBlue"]Not good. I am interested in ordering one of their bikes, the Outlaw Pro, any one have troulbe ordering a bikethrough them

I endorse self propulsion
    i've ordered a few things online from them and it has gone okay. not spectacular but not too bad. but i have had good experiences in the stores. not necessarily in knowledge or their service dept., but in the fact that they take anything back - or at least exchange it. shorts, jerseys, pedals, wheels...
    "Pops trippin', he want me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."

gimme friction

My recent purchase went well

Quote Originally Posted by Lobeknee
    [color="DeepSkyBlue"]Not good. I am interested in ordering one of their bikes, the Outlaw Pro, any one have troulbe ordering a bikethrough them
    In August of this year, I purchased a new bike (2006 Iron Horse MKIII Expert) from Performance. It was a big purchase for me, and I was a little nervous, but the deal was too good to pass up ($3,200 MSRP down to $2,046, shipped).

I made the order over the phone, it shipped when they said it would, and I was able to track the bike en route. Everything arrived intact, as promised.

I was ready for problems with the order, but none materialized. However, the assembly of the bike was a little shoddy, and I spent quite a bit of time tweaking the shifting. But, I'm not sure if the bike was assembled at IH or at Performance.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the purchase, if only because it was a screaming deal. However, I'm comfortable working on my own bikes, which is clutch because I would *never* leave a bike with my local Performance shop. I'm sure some stores have good service departments, but my local one is not one of them.

Oh yeah, and I joined their bike club, and got almost $300 worth of points, redeemable for gear either online or in their store. it's great fun shopping for overpriced bike gear when you don't have to shell out the cash!
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The initial build would have been done by IH.

I believe you could have taken it to a local performance shop (were there one near you) and they would have assembled it for free. If you trust them, of course.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You have to sort out the online operation from the stores. The stores are great to deal with. I just took back a Pedros $70 pump that crapped out last night. I had it one year, they exchanged it no questions asked, no receipt, etc..
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Captain Underpants
    I only use the local store. I have never had a problem with them returning things, either.

Their website is another thing--I would never order from it, even if I was high on budget crack cocaine.