Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7

    Pedals for a clips-virgin?

    Any recommendations for a good all-mountain pedal for a clip newbie?

    I like the price of the Shimano PD-M530 MTB SPD Pedals...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,214
    Not sure why you picked this forum to ask the question.
    Thats what I run on all of my bikes.
    Lots of people recommend the multi release clips for starting out.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,684

    Pedals for a clips-virgin?

    I recommend Crank Brothers for newbies. Really easy to get in and out of.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    103
    I started up with a pair of Shimano M520 a few years ago. I still own them but they are now on my spinning bike inside. They are cheap an reliable.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madsedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,465
    Eggbeaters, 'nuff said.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thickfog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,082
    Eggbeaters.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    318
    TIME

    lol

    pedal threads are like wheel size threads.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ti-triodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    TIME

    lol

    pedal threads are like wheel size threads.


    Or just about any subject really. People are just going to push their favorites.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,684

    Pedals for a clips-virgin?

    Quote Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
    Or just about any subject really. People are just going to push their favorites.
    This annoys me. Someone asks a question on a forum, what do you think you're gonna see? Multiple opinions. No ****, you're going to see people's favorites. You might also get a good answer, and that good answer might be someone's opinion.

    I recommend the Eggbeaters cuz I've used them, and they're easy to get in and out of, and have a ton of float. I've also used Time ATAC, and think those are a good option, too.

    I'm on flats now because those are the easiest to get "out of", and I would forget my biking shoes too often.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ti-triodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    This annoys me. Someone asks a question on a forum, what do you think you're gonna see? Multiple opinions. No ****, you're going to see people's favorites. You might also get a good answer, and that good answer might be someone's opinion.

    I recommend the Eggbeaters cuz I've used them, and they're easy to get in and out of, and have a ton of float. I've also used Time ATAC, and think those are a good option, too.

    I'm on flats now because those are the easiest to get "out of", and I would forget my biking shoes too often.
    I was agreeing with the poster ahead of me. Sorry if it offends you. I wasn't calling anyone out on their choices, was I? The OP got some good tips where to start and he can decide on what he prefers. FWIW, I've tried Time but prefer Ritchey, which are very similar to Shimano.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,684

    Pedals for a clips-virgin?

    Quote Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
    I was agreeing with the poster ahead of me. Sorry if it offends you. I wasn't calling anyone out on their choices, was I? The OP got some good tips where to start and he can decide on what he prefers. FWIW, I've tried Time but prefer Ritchey, which are very similar to Shimano.
    Sorry. I'm cranky today.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    668
    Key difference for me between Time and Eggbeater is Time does not eject you when you strike the underside of the pedal on something.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,684

    Pedals for a clips-virgin?

    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Key difference for me between Time and Eggbeater is Time does not eject you when you strike the underside of the pedal on something.
    This is why I stopped using the CBs. The Times are almost as easy to get into and out of, and if I ever go back to clips, they'd be my pedal of choice. For pure ease of getting in and out, though, I think it's hard to beat the eggs.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

  14. #14
    Crash Dummy In Training
    Reputation: PauLCa916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    693
    I like the Shimano PD-M520's you can adjust the tension on them.
    I started out with the least tension once I got use to them I'm fully tight.
    Durable and Reliable and cheap also.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,208
    I learned on eggbeaters, but if I had to do it again I'd do shimanos.

    Eggbeaters were easy enough to get out of but I've broken my fair share. Destroyed the clip in part on Mallets, acids, and eggbeater sl. Bent an axle on a eggbeater sl, had bearings seize on the eggbeater sl.

    I then bought shimano. m540s I think. I've used them for 3 years, not a single problem. They don't spin quite as good but they're holding up. I've had to get a new set of cleats a few months ago as they were feeling loose. Eggbeater brass cleats wear out super quick. ymmv

  16. #16
    Poacher
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,546

    I vote for flats, I wish I learned on flats

    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio View Post
    I learned on eggbeaters, but if I had to do it again I'd do shimanos.

    Eggbeaters were easy enough to get out of but I've broken my fair share. Destroyed the clip in part on Mallets, acids, and eggbeater sl. Bent an axle on a eggbeater sl, had bearings seize on the eggbeater sl.

    I then bought shimano. m540s I think. I've used them for 3 years, not a single problem. They don't spin quite as good but they're holding up. I've had to get a new set of cleats a few months ago as they were feeling loose. Eggbeater brass cleats wear out super quick. ymmv
    I broke 3 eggbeaters, back on Shimano now. Most of the really good riders I go with are back to flats, with Five Ten Shoes. They are as fast as anyone uphill.

Similar Threads

  1. Platform pedals with toe clips?
    By deputydog2003 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 08:54 PM
  2. Virgin Rim Conditions?
    By rockman in forum Utah
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 09:04 AM
  3. Which pedals? Toe clips or clipless?
    By TexasPig in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 01:45 PM
  4. I'm a virgin.
    By Pattersonmotorsports13m in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 05:34 PM
  5. Virgin El Guapo
    By dogss in forum Titus
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •