mtbr member

paypal "buyer protection"

is it worth anything?

Say I buy something on ebay from a seller with little feedback, if I pay with paypal (I guess you might have to pay with a checking account), are they really going to do anything if there is a problem? Has anyone actually had to use that service?

Freshly Fujified

Here's how it works

If you get spun by a seller who takes your money and doesn't send the item, Paypal will contact the seller and give them a certain amount of time to respond (2 weeks??) and settle up to your mutual satisfaction. If they do not respond, and IF there is a balance in their PayPal account, they will collect whatever they can, up to the full amount of the transaction. This is as far as i've ever gotten in a dispute, so I don't know what happens if the seller contests your claim.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    So basically they don't do anything. What are the chances of someone ripping you off and leaving the money in their paypal account.

I was actually more worried that the item would not be in the condition described. I've got some pretty amazing deals in the past, I'm convinced because the seller's feedback was so low others where afraid to bid. But then again, the same thing makes me afraid to bid.

In any event, thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had the same situation as Bob. Paypal decided in my favor but couldn't collect because the seller had nothing in his account.
    Last edited by Buonarroti; 02-24-2007 at 08:50 PM.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    So basically they don't do anything. What are the chances of someone ripping you off and leaving the money in their paypal account.

I was actually more worried that the item would not be in the condition described. I've got some pretty amazing deals in the past, I'm convinced because the seller's feedback was so low others where afraid to bid. But then again, the same thing makes me afraid to bid.

In any event, thanks for the info.
    I had a "not as described" issue with a dirtball seller on ebay and both Paypal and ebay just gave me the runaround. It was good that I paid for the goods with my credit card. They got my money back.

Lesson learned - pay with your credit card because sooner or later, you will come across a less than honest seller .

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Bob ty for the heads up. didn't know that the 'buyer protection' was that worthless! Man, i've been pretty lucky i guess after all these years on ebay.

seems to me like i just got stiffed for $10 on a Troy Lee visor though. 1 month and still waiting.

i agree with joules too, the chances of someone 'skipping town' on a sale and leaving the money in paypal is pretty slim.
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Person
    Sep 2005
    I bought a frame on mtbr classifieds last year, and the guy wouldn't ship it to me. Kept giving me excuses and fake delivery times. After a month I contacted paypal about this and my frame arrived within a couple weeks. Have no idea what they did, but I got my frame so I'm happy. Always pay by credit card too just to be safe.