Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Outside Outfitters?

43K views 147 replies 78 participants last post by  Buc_Nasty 
#1 ·
#24 ·
like everyone else has said, prices are great, but shipping time is very slow. Im in VA and from the time of my order to the day its on my doorstep is about a week and a half.

great place to buy stuff you dont need now now now now now.

if you do need it now, just cut the crybaby drama and get it someplace else

#26 ·
I know it's a bit of a resurrection, just thought it'd be a good place to add this.

Put in an order for a few misc items to Outside Outfitters; picked the slowest (and obviously cheapest) shipping option to Canada. Will update when I have the items, but I got a tracking number 1 day later directly from the person I was dealing with. Very nice customer service so far (a few items were showing "call us", had to contact them), prices were WAY better than anything I could find anywhere else, and shipping was stupid cheap to Canada.

#27 ·
Yea it turned out the cheap shipping WAS a mistake in my case and I had to pay more, lol ( I think they were just using USPS first class which has no tracking #) and the handling time was slow (I waited 6 days before it shipped). It's tough to order things and wait sometimes, especially when it is keeping you from riding.

However it can always be worse...I have had much much worse shipping, like from Zem shoes (unrelated to bikes). Almost a month now and my shoes have not shipped due to "backorders" but they conveniently did not list this on the website when I ordered it. So, I finally emailed them to ask if another colour was in stock and they said that my order was in stock afterall! WTH? They changed my order to "processed" but I am still waiting for it to ship.. so ya compared to that Outside Outfitters is the daytona 500./end rant.

#32 ·
For certain parts, these guys were hands down the best prices and for us in SoCal the savings on tax is substantial. They are very slow compared to any other e-tailer with basically a week turnaround just to get it in the mail. As long as you are not anxious, I highly recommend them. One of the nice things about the slow processing time was I amended my order before it went out which was nice.

#36 ·
Of course I did ask them several times, but their answer were only "we have dispatched your order" and "is there anyway we can help?". Even when I asked a proof (scan copy, etc.) of dispatching receipt, they couldn't show it. At least, I can be certain it's lost on its way if they can show a proof of dispatching from their warehouse. Poor handling :crazy:

#39 ·
Thats what credit cards are for, you spend their money then try pay it all back at the end of the month. If you didnt get your item and there is no proof it was sent then you should get your cash back, if the vendor doesnt agree then contact your creditcard company.

If you had sent them the info you posted here ^^Post #34^^ your claim would already be underway.

#40 ·
Thats what credit cards are for, you spend their money then try pay it all back at the end of the month. If you didnt get your item and there is no proof it was sent then you should get your cash back, if the vendor doesnt agree then contact your creditcard company.

If you had sent them the info you posted here ^^Post #34^^ your claim would already be underway.
:D:D again, thanks mate .....

#42 ·
Being an Aussie buyer, waiting on 3 tyres coming from them as we speak.... ordered Monday, got the dispatch notice Thursday, they were an order in item so 3 days is good. More than happy with OO's prices and customer service.... as I said earlier, not the fastest but very well priced and cheap shipping to Australia. Ive ordered well over $1000 worth of stuff every year since 2008.

Good guys if you aren't expecting next day delivery.

One of my favourite online stores.

#43 ·
I stumbled on this thread a couple of weeks ago when I was googling this shop to see if they were safe. After reading here and a couple of other places I decided to go ahead and order.

I'm very satisfied. Delivery was very fast (to USA), took 6 days total, from order to delivery, normal ground shipping, which was free.

I had an issue with tracking number not showing for my order, so I called their customer service number, 1st time there was an answering machine, but I didn't leave a message.
Called the following day, a helpful guy answered, I told him my problem, he apologized and said they just upgraded or replaced their shipping system, and that they have a bug with the tracking numbers showing on customers account.
Anyway, he manually looked my order, and told its status.

I have no idea how they manage their low prices, though to be honest I didn't try the "price match" option of other suppliers like jensonUSA, but I just think, that since they have such good prices, it would be good to share my experience.

Buttom line - I would recommend buying from them, and I will buy from them again.

#44 ·
Bought a Stan's Arch wheel set from them. They were by far the lowest price at the time. I was ready to order a Light Bicycle set when I saw this incredible deal.

I picked the wheel set up in person since they are located where I live. Very nice guys there. I would recommend them to everyone.

#45 ·
I have ordered outside gear (not bike stuff) from them. Order fulfillment was a touch slower than other companies, but their price was the best.

I also use with great success:
Bike:
Universal Cycles
Jenson USA
Bike Bling
EBikeStop*
Colorado Cyclist*

Outdoor:
OutsideOutfitters
OMCGear

*I only use these guys if I can't get it anywhere else as I like to avoid the sales tax if I can. By far, UniversalCycles out of Portland is my favorite bike mail order house.

#46 ·
Just ordered a couple items from them. Similar experience to what others have mentioned. Their list price was much lower than everyone else but the shipping/fulfillment time very slow -- 10 days in my case.

I didn't realize Jenson and Universal did price matching. Next time I'll go that route. Jenson always has things to me in 2-3 days even by ground.

#48 ·
I've had a bad experience with Outside Outfitters, I would not recommend using them. Ordered "in stock" handlebars and my credit card was immediately charged. After 7 days without any kind of status, I called them and was told that the bars were backordered and that they could not give me a ship date. (So why was my credit card charged???) I canceled the order at that time and received an email from them stating that a full credit had been posted. A month goes by and I see from my credit card statement that I never got the credit. Have contacted them multiple times since then, and after another week I still haven't received the credit. Looking at their BBB complaints, this seems like their standard MO. I wonder how many people don't notice that their credit was never issued.

#50 ·
I am resurrecting this thread because I feel fellow riders should know the truth about Outside Outfitters. Bottom Line, they are AWFUL!!! DO NOT order from them. I believe there is more going on than just slow shipping. I ordered an Easton Haven Stem on May 20th, finally received an email (with NO tracking #) on May 31st telling me my order had shipped. Today is June 8th and I STILL do not have my order!!! Buyer Beware, these guys are crooks! I have filed a dispute with my CC company and I will also be filing a complaint with the BBB. Horrible company! Reminds me of the New York/New Jersey electronic dealers selling TV's online! :madmax:

#84 ·
For the love of god do not buy from outside outfitters

I second that - AWFUL company.
Better Business Bureau: 23 positive, 77 negative, 56 complaints
(and still a "B" rating from B.B.B.?!????!)
https://www.bbb.org/stlouis/busines...utside-outfitters-in-earth-city-mo-310480850/

People are saying 'shipping takes kind of a while' - i could see this as a valid point IF the website made ANY indication it would take even remotely as long as it does. From everything i read during the checkout process, my item would ship 'standard ground' in 2-3 business days...
This is what happened so far:

November 7: 2016: ordered pedals $6.99 for standard ground shipping
November 16: email saying they were shipped "from the warehouse to the distribution center"
November 16: I replied asking why i was never told it would take this long and why their "ships in 2-3 business days" is so wildly exaggerated
November 21: they reply that i would get priority 2 day shipping, and a confirmation once 'it was dispatched to my address'
November 28: still nothing yet

FORGET a return/refund IF i ever even get these pedals and dont want them. I give it about a .01% chance they would ever refund me.

#52 ·
^worth sending easton an email in case they are official dealer[/QUOTE

Good idea. Just a follow up to my previous message confirming that something fishy is going on with this company. As I assumed, my order was never shipped. The email I received stating that my order had shipped (without a tracking #) was a complete lie. I just received an email from Outside Outfitters stating that they are cancelling my order and refunding my card. No info whatsoever on what happened to my order was given. I repeat, DO NOT ORDER from this company. Chinese company's are better than this one. BBB, here I come.

#53 ·
Live pretty close to these guys and stopped in an while back to check them out. They don't actually stock anything, it's all drop shipped which explains the shipping delays/disconnect.

Nice people, except when they looked at me like an idiot when I asked if they had a tube...

#57 ·
I thought that the big distributors, QBP, etc. required a storefront and a repair shop to get parts from them. The reason my dream of selling online only never escalated.

#56 ·
I ordered a stem adapter from these guys and ended up having a bad experience. They charged me when I placed the order, but the product didn't ship for two weeks when I called to inquire. I then cancelled the order and they told me they refunded me, but never got the refund after 17 days. Still trying to get my money back. Worst merchant ever, if not fraudulent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.