mtbr member
    Jun 2012

New question here. Ordering from CRC to Canada - Customs?

Hey guys, hoping this is the right place to post this.

Looking to order a bunch of stuff from CRC and was wondering if I'm going to get hit with some kind of tax at customs?

The package I'm guessing will be fairly big as I'm getting a crankset + rear shock amongst other small things.

Anyone care to share some experience with this? The order is roughly $500 CAD.

mtbr member
    Never been hit in numerous orders... Maybe that's being lucky. I've ordered a fork from them, so had a big package.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

ups and downs
    It's hit or miss, I've had small items come through without customs but big items like wheelsets, frames and forks always seem to get processed through customs. And sometimes small and expensive things like XTR cranks have passed through without customs.

The thing to watch for is often CRC describe the contents as "Cycling Goods" and about half the time that has happened, Canada Customs have interpreted that as cycling clothing which has a 20% duty in Canada.

So if that happens you can apply for a refund and use the correct tariff item number for bike parts (8714 9990 20) which are duty free and only have GST/PST/HST applied.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Got a wheel a week ago with no extra charges. Just got a cassette and a couple of tires and got nailed with duty, taxes and fee. $43 on a $120 order. I'll have to apply for the refund on the duty.

fear this
    Canada, if I recall charges no duty on bicycle components.
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie, some goodies to lighten 'er up

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've ordered small parts (derailleur and cassette) form them 3 weeks ago and at that time it was free shipping. I just picked up my parcel last week from the post office, no taxes.

GAME ON!
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What is the average time waiting from the free shipping method, last time I paid for shipping it was here in 7 days, I picked free this time and its been 10 working days and nothing has come in. Can it take longer this way or should I start to worry my parts are gone with my money?
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    What is the average time waiting from the free shipping method, last time I paid for shipping it was here in 7 days, I picked free this time and its been 10 working days and nothing has come in. Can it take longer this way or should I start to worry my parts are gone with my money?
    10 days from shipment notice including weekend(s) wouldnt worry me. 10 working days might start to. over maybe a dozen orders my experience has been about 6-8 working days to southwestern ontario. i think it lands in toronto first so right in the GTA might be a day or two less but i am no shipping expert.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Have ordered from CRC to the Yukon a number of times, big stuff and little stuff - service was great, never had a problem with screwed up orders, never had extra duty charges, no probs at all - will continue to order from them. Always landed at my door within a week or so w/free shipping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah I am in London so I will give it till Friday and then panic, I already sent an email to CRC saying what do we do now.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have found that on orders from CRC delivered by Canada Post I have yet to be charged any duty or taxes. On orders delivered by DHL they have charged taxes plus a nice, big brokerage fee every time. I have never paid for DHL shipping - CRC have just decided to send certain things that way so now I put something in the order notes asking them to please not use DHL for my orders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I find I usually start hoping at around 7 days. Usually within a day or two then. At 10 days, I think you are a bit premature worrying. I'd give it at least 2 weeks.
    Mine have always come Canada Post and I find I have to pay taxes about 50% of the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ive had an order not arrive after 20 days so I contacted CRC. They said to wait until 15 business days had passed and then I could complete a form regarding a possible lost shipment. Package showed up the next day. They will take care of you either way. Ive received an incorrect wheel in an order and after 2 emails with them they sent DHL to pick up the item and had a new one shipped that day.

As for customs, after about a dozen orders I have come to expect having to pay nothing if the order was under $300 and 50/50 on just paying hst if over that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonheckler View Post
    Ive had an order not arrive after 20 days so I contacted CRC. They said to wait until 15 business days had passed and then I could complete a form regarding a possible lost shipment. Package showed up the next day. They will take care of you either way. Ive received an incorrect wheel in an order and after 2 emails with them they sent DHL to pick up the item and had a new one shipped that day.

As for customs, after about a dozen orders I have come to expect having to pay nothing if the order was under $300 and 50/50 on just paying hst if over that.
    OK cool today is day15 and nothing yet so I have the form filled out for the lost is post. I might wait till Friday and then send it, that will be 18 days and I have waited to finish my bike long enough LOL.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anyone ever get a bike bag/case from CRC? I ordered an Evoc Bike Travel Bag during the private sale and wonder if I'll get hit with any customs charges or just the usual HST?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by framed View Post
    Anyone ever get a bike bag/case from CRC? I ordered an Evoc Bike Travel Bag during the private sale and wonder if I'll get hit with any customs charges or just the usual HST?
    Canada Post has a flat $9.95 customs handling fee, so should only be paying that plus HST.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonheckler View Post
    Canada Post has a flat $9.95 customs handling fee, so should only be paying that plus HST.
    Oh they raised it did they? It was $5 the last time I got dinged by them.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Oh they raised it did they? It was $5 the last time I got dinged by them.
    Yes 9,95$. I'M remember few years ago, only 3$....

Pay custom fee one time and asked for a refund from CBSA and I received a refund of 2$!!! Idid it just by curiosity...hehehe I'm sure the refund cost more than 100$ in fees....