"El Whatever"

Online Retailers

So, after watching a lot of horror threads about Beyond Bikes, Performance and else... I have this question...

Which are the "safe" on-line places??

I've heard from Larry at MtnHigh and Hammerhead. Which should be others??

I'm seriously thinking about getting a cheap-arse full suspension frame early next year and some parts and bring them into mexico. Foock the Mexican LBS's!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Of the heavy hitters, I think Jensons is good based on my experiences. Orders have always gone smoothly. Refunds and returns are no drama and my credit card has always been credited within quick time span. I have bought and returned everything from small parts like grips to biggies like a frame. Frames come double boxed, A GREAT plus in my book! First rate. Their site navigation is good too.

As for the smaller shop, I like Bill Larson. He has no site, but sends a mailing list of prices and products that put some of the big boys to shame considering he is a small shop. He has some uniques close out products too, like the Interloc Dual Banger hydro deal for $120 a pair.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

Just passing through....
    I must agree about JensonUSA, no problems there. The other place that I recommend, even higher than Jenson is Bikeman.com. Good prices and the service is top notch. I've bought quite a few parts from them now and always found them helpful. There was an honest mistake made one time and they corrected it promptly and without any hassles. Thats all I really ask for in a shop is decent prices and to know that I don't have to worry about it if something goes wrong, cuz I know they will correct it.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 08-15-2004 at 07:50 PM.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

gotta go with Jenson.........

I've dealth with several and now will only deal with Jenson if possible. Second to none.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Just FYI.
    I had a problem ordering from them because I tried to order using a foreign credit card.
    They required a scanned copy of the credit card that you are ordering with and a second piece of photo ID.
    All of this on an order I was making to be shipped within the US and for an item costing less than $20.
    Complete and utter overkill given the value of the item and the security built into modern credit cards.
    When I stated that they could cancel the order if I had to go through all of that I received an email back stating that my ordr had been cancelled as per my request.
    Oh well I did ask for it I suppose.
    I will still use Jenson when I am in the US and agree that they have an excellent website but I will not order online from them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You should be lucky they go to those lengths to ensure your security.

mtbr member
    what about Price Point? I have had no problems with them.

mtbr member
    I will go with Jenson any time I can. They are awesome!!! I have gotten screwed by supergo and performance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Jenson has been great. Give www.universalcycles.com a try.

"El Whatever"

What about...

wheelworld.com???

They have a frame I'm interested (KHS FR1500)...
    Check my Site

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    Performance - they were good years ago
    Nashbar - slooooowwww order processing, but they have some small hard to find items
    Supergo - some good deals if you can find the right size, poor selection overall, ship speed okay, poorly packaged
    Jenson - no problems, fast delivery, some good deals
    Cambria - I've heard of problems with them, I haven't had any. They have some hard to find items and sometimes some real good deals.
    Price point - very fast order processing/delivery, well packaged, prompt return credit, but customer service couldn't tell me if a wheelset I was ordering had presta or schrader holes, I asked them to match the tubes to the wheelset and they sent presta tubes and schrader drilled rims.
    Chucksbikes - this guy offers good service, not much of a selection, but if you find what you need on his site, get it. I got an entire crankset from him for barely more than Cambria wanted for a single chainring (same one on the crankset). Then he emails me and tells me the crank arms are a little scuffed from rubbing the cardboard... do you still want crankset for $10 less. Sure thing, I never would have noticed the scuffs, got a heck of a deal though. Then they were at my door the next day.

mtbr member

Greenfishsports

Hi all, I live in Australia and have tried purchasing through supergo and had a similar problem to the other Aussie guy above did with Jenson. I can understand all the security these days but it is painful for international customers. However I believe these sites are great if you live in the US.

I have purchased heaps of stuff from greenfishsports.com They are fantastic!!! Not the hugest range of gear, but I usually recieve my stuff from the USA to Australia in about 5 days. I can pay with either credit card or Paypal and have NEVER had a problem!

Check them out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i can seriously not understand you guys thinking it is a hassle to fax a photocopy of some id. I am so grateful that supergo and the likes actually go to such lengths to ensure our safety. I have been a victim of internet fraud, and it is a much, much, MUCH bigger hassle to get your money back, trust me..

Same in shops, some ppl frown at the check out chick when she checks your signature.. I just get scared when people dont.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Juan
    I assume you do not purchase from O/S yourself because otherwise you would understand all the hassle that this causes.
    The point is why the hell do we have all of the security devices that we have in our credit cards if we then have to go through emailing (not faxing) a scanned copy of our credit card to them. If you order from within the US and provide them with the 3 digit number that is on the back of your credit card then there is no problem This number was supposed to be an added secrity device that has only happened recently.
    Nearly every other online retailer, hotel, airline etc I have used is hapy to allow m to use my Credit Card upon provision of this number but for some reason Jenson also requires this scanned image.
    Mind you in saying that I have recently heard that Supergo will only ship O/S if they can get over the phone confirmation of th credit card holders address from their bank. Effectively this means that they will not ship O/S seeing as though no bank will provide that detail without written authority from the cardholder.
    Obviously these 2 company's are making enough money from their domestic sales and do not want O/S business.
    That is fine. There are plenty of other businesses that we can and do use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Dont assume.

I have been online/mail order shopping bikes and components for more than 15 years, from all the big american companies. I lived in Europe until I moved to Australia 6 years ago. The time it takes to copy and fax your CC is well worth it compared to the potential hassle of getting ripped.

JS

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    Hi all, I live in Australia and have tried purchasing through supergo and had a similar problem to the other Aussie guy above did with Jenson. I can understand all the security these days but it is painful for international customers. However I believe these sites are great if you live in the US.

I have purchased heaps of stuff from greenfishsports.com They are fantastic!!! Not the hugest range of gear, but I usually recieve my stuff from the USA to Australia in about 5 days. I can pay with either credit card or Paypal and have NEVER had a problem!

Check them out!
    I live in Spain, and I have made an order in greenfishsports.com and had some problems, but I hope the order will arrive next week. They have made a mistake with the adress and the shipment service that I choose. I chose UPS Express Service (100$ and fast) and thy shipped the order via UPS Expedited Service (less expensive and slower), and made a mistake with the shipping information. Then, where are my 20$??
    If shipment arrives ok, perhaps I'll make new orders with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    I live in Spain, and I have made an order in greenfishsports.com and had some problems, but I hope the order will arrive next week. They have made a mistake with the adress and the shipment service that I choose. I chose UPS Express Service (100$ and fast) and thy shipped the order via UPS Expedited Service (less expensive and slower), and made a mistake with the shipping information. Then, where are my 20$??
    If shipment arrives ok, perhaps I'll make new orders with them.
    Honest Mistakes happen. It's the crooked companies like Supergo and Performance that cause the most issues.

Greenfish has been very reliable and good to work with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Speedgoat gets 5 stars in my book

speedgoat.com - you can call or email and talk to the owners directly. I was even given a substantial discount to resolve a minor problem I had with an order. They want you to be happy and court returning customers.

Be sure try their VIP pricing scheme. As you put items in your virtual cart, the more you add, the lower the displayed prices of many items go. So for comparison shopping you should add all your items to the cart to see what you will actually pay. Also note that their shipping is always free.

If you are looking for a high end frame, built up or not, they will do it right - see their custom builds pages.

I however chose to get my Santa Cruz Blur at my favorite LBS. I prefer dealing with my LBS owner if at all possible, he always gives me a good deal and backs up what he sells, even lending bikes if yours is in the shop. But for certain items that he has to order anyway, it is quicker for me to get on the phone myself.

mtbr member
    I got a fully built Truth from them last winter. There was some scrathes due to S&H and fork had some paint blemishes. They offered me only $50. After some phone calls some aggrement was reached. It was 2003 frame no propedal and AVA. I wanted the 2004 version PP and AVA. They got it from FOX and took a month but it was only $50 from my part. Now I have suspension I wanted and a spare shock. Deal with Patrick if he is still working there. I guess the owner Kyle is reasonable person for going thru with it. I didnt want to send the bike back even for full credit that was offered for free pickup because it was a great deal. The 2003 truth , XT, XTR kit , Avid Ti, Mavic tubeless Marz Marathon and other good parts fully built for $2600.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    wheelworld.com???

They have a frame I'm interested (KHS FR1500)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    www.bikeman.com

www.speedgoat.com

I order a ton from the internet (too much).
    Bikeman and Speedgoat are both incredible. They email you if there is a hold-up or something is late. They both have huge selections. Speedgoat pricing is not as good as Bikeman but they have some of the best technical assistance.

Charles at www.hammerheadbikes.com is very good as well. I got a wheelset from him and I love it.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    You don't really believe that Jenson is taking such extraordinary measures in order to protect YOU, now do you? Like any business, they're looking out for their own interests, and any perceived benefits from doing so that may accrue to you are purely incidental. Although I use Jenson, there are other retailers higher on my list with much better prices, and if I were overseas, I would surely not jump through the hoops required to do business with them. There is enough protection for the consumer built into the CC system as designed to satisfy me.
    - Joe

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    Although I use Jenson, there are other retailers higher on my list with much better prices, and if I were overseas, I would surely not jump through the hoops required to do business with them.
    - Joe
    So, spit them out!! I'm overseas (well, just across the border!).
    Check my Site

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Sorry, I guess I strayed from your original query. As has been mentioned before, Chucksbikes.com can have some smoking deals, but selection is limited. I've used him twice with no probs. Same can be said for Icyclesusa.com. I view Larry Mettler at MtnHighCyclery.com as my LBS even though he's one state away. Don't judge by his webste - just call him and he'll get what you need at a very competitive price with no inflated shipping charges. I find Cambria's and Pricepoint's prices to be better than Jenson's, but the selection is not as great. But in your position, you're better off going with a smaller outfit that can address your unique circumstance, like Larry, or maybe the guys at Webcyclery.com, who are also a pleasure to work with. Good luck,
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    So, spit them out!! I'm overseas (well, just across the border!).