Future Rainbow Jersey

Observation: Colorado Cyclist

Let me start by saying that I think that Colorado Cyclist has a pretty good selection of road and mountain stuff.

However, is it me, or do they never, ever have any good deals? Even when they have sale or clearance, their prices are still generally pretty high.

The only decent deal they have is the Santa Cruz Superlight that they've had on sale for $1499 complete for at least the past 3 years. Even that deal is somewhat suspect considering the spec.

I get the catalog all the time and I laugh because there's no way I'd pay 5-10% more for the same stuff from this place. Even their in-house Douglas brand (primarily road) is pretty pricey for generic online-only stuff.

In all honesty, how do they stay in business if places like jenson and pricepoint sell a lot of the same stuff so much cheaper?

Does anyone agree? Thoughts?
    "If I can't work to make it...I'll rob to take it..."

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Their pricing is generally at or slightly below MSRP. They have never claimed to be a discount reseller. They are mainly a road company and they offer many items not usually found online or in many LBSs (especially clothing).

The Douglas frames are not that "generic." They are the house brand and quality frames. The value is very good. Hard to beat a Ti/carbon road frame and carbon fork for $900.

Pricepoint is selling mostly closeout and OEM parts. Jenson does that, too, along with current stock.

Colorado Cyclist deals almost entirely with current model stock. That always costs more.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Their pricing is generally at or slightly below MSRP. They have never claimed to be a discount reseller. They are mainly a road company and they offer many items not usually found online or in many LBSs (especially clothing).

The Douglas frames are not that "generic." They are the house brand and quality frames. The value is very good. Hard to beat a Ti/carbon road frame and carbon fork for $900.

Pricepoint is selling mostly closeout and OEM parts. Jenson does that, too, along with current stock.

Colorado Cyclist deals almost entirely with current model stock. That always costs more.
    Fair enough. BTW, that is actually a great deal for Ti/carbon road frame and carbon fork. I must of missed that one. The clothing selection is actually pretty good as well, especially the Merino wool retro jerseys. I think I can only name one other place off the top of my head that sells them.
    "If I can't work to make it...I'll rob to take it..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Their wheel rebuild prices are really good and they do an excellent job. Also the higher end bike kits are a great deal considering what they come with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The only time I ever bought anything from them was about 5 years ago when I found a pair of ATAC pedals on closeout. Suffice to say I'm still using the pedals today but have yet to make another purchase from Colorado.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I'll second this

Quote Originally Posted by ssuperlight
    Their wheel rebuild prices are really good and they do an excellent job. Also the higher end bike kits are a great deal considering what they come with.
    Colorado Cyclist has built me two great sets of wheels using their rebuild option. The pricing isn't unreasonable for this service, and the wheels have survived a pretty impressive beating.

breathing helium
    I just bought a new '05 Turner 5 Spot from them for a good price and got the fork at 25% off. I'm pretty happy with the deal, especially since I was looking for a Horst Link frame.

mtbr member

Good job!

I got my road bike from CC. A Douglas Fusion, carbon stays and fork. Full Ultegra kit (including cranks) for 1100. Couldn't find anything within 400 for the same spec.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

mtbr member

Good clothing prices and good service...

I just purchased a Bell Sweep and Shimano 225 shoes from them.