mtbr member
    Apr 2004

NiteRider Slickrock 900...

has been up twice today on Chainlove for $259.99 for those interested. I'm pretty sure it will be back up sometime soon.

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

ballbuster

You can buy...

Quote Originally Posted by poontank
    has been up twice today on Chainlove for $259.99 for those interested. I'm pretty sure it will be back up sometime soon.
    Three MagicShines for that. One on the lid, two on the bars.

HID is dead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Three MagicShines for that. One on the lid, two on the bars.

HID is dead.
    I don't know about that. I have a magicshine and when I placed it next to my Niterider Enduro Select HID it did not light up as much of the trail as the HID. So yes, the magicshine is cheaper and lighter, but I wouldn't say it is better than HID. It seems like they have their pluses and minuses.

29 some of the time...
    getting a little off topic...

Magic Shine comparison pictures

Cheap? Yes, of course. But that lighting pattern is pretty messed up. Weird mix of focussed and diffuse with dead spots throughout. I suppose for half the price it could be dealt with, but IMO that is not of the same quality. Nite Rider is also made in the USA. Not sure where the MS is produced, but if it is an import that would definitely explain the 2X price difference. Lastly HID vs. LED.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Magicshine is a pretty low-quality light. Though I have seen a few problems with NR HIDs, I'd take that over the magicshine. Another option is to look for the L&M ARCs. I know Chainlove had them for under $200 and they may be selling at other places for that. The ARC was a really good HID and still beats a lot of LEDs if you want a one-light setup.

Yet another good option is a Jet Phantom halogen- excellent beam pattern with a really warm color that illuminates depth well. Plus, halogen replacement lights are cheap. HID bulbs and ballasts can be expensive to replace. Those can be found for around $200-$250 new. I used to own one a few years ago. A friend still uses it and it is extremely reliable. The connectors are also quite waterproof in downpours. I'll take a good halogen over a crap LED and there is some real junk out there. I have some really nice LEDs but I still am impressed by the Jet halogens.

If you want a decent quality LED at a decent price- one that will last many years and has good manufacturer customer support (you can talk to and get parts from the owner) and parts that are easily available, look at the Dinottes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29
    Not sure where the MS is produced, but if it is an import that would definitely explain the 2X price difference.
    I'm pretty sure the MS is made in China.

ballbuster

Huh...

Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    getting a little off topic...

Magic Shine comparison pictures

Cheap? Yes, of course. But that lighting pattern is pretty messed up. Weird mix of focussed and diffuse with dead spots throughout. I suppose for half the price it could be dealt with, but IMO that is not of the same quality. Nite Rider is also made in the USA. Not sure where the MS is produced, but if it is an import that would definitely explain the 2X price difference. Lastly HID vs. LED.
    I got one, and I don't see that at all in real life. No dead spots at all. Pretty dang uniform, actually. The shot im the comparison may be with the old reflector. The current reflector is a light orange peel pattern. I compared it to my NR Digital Pro 12e on high beam (32 watts halogen), and the coverage was about the same and about the same brightness. I have a bud with a generic OEM version of the Topeka HID. It will be interesting to A/B compare them on the trail.

BTW, $260/85=3.058....

So yes, you can get three of these bastids for the price of one HID on freaky closeout discount sale. what do you think will kick more photons? One HID or three Magicshines?

Up to you, but I'm telling you, the MS is a game changer. I would not want to be in the light business trying to sell my lights for $400+ right about now.

BTW, quality is actually pretty dang solid. The cord feels a bit cheapish vinyl coated kinda stuff, while NR is higher quality rubber coated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sorry everyone. I didn't mean for this to evolve into a debate between HID's and LED's. I just wanted to give a heads up for anyone interested.

It's a good topic for discussion just not here. Maybe someone should start it over in the Lights and Night riding forum

ballbuster

True, you're right....

Sorry everyone. I didn't mean for this to evolve into a debate between HID's and LED's. I just wanted to give a heads up for anyone interested.

It's a good topic for discussion just not here. Maybe someone should start it over in the Lights and Night riding forum
    Like the other poster says..... check out Lights and Night Riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Did You Know????

The replacement bulb is $140.00!!!!!!
    "I can only assume chan slap is what happens when you get assaulted by Jackie Chan. I don't think anybody can prevent that."

ballbuster

Don't ask....

Quote Originally Posted by thesenator
    The replacement bulb is $140.00!!!!!!
    ... how much a NR repalcement battery goe$ for.

If you can solder, you can DIY one for $60 or so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's back up on chainlove.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's back up on chainlove.com
    Up again for another 30 minutes or so.

mtbr member

niterider enduro

anyone know how many lumens the niterider enduro has? its been on chainlove, and I tried checking various sites for it, but it doesnt list it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FortOrdDirt
    anyone know how many lumens the niterider enduro has? its been on chainlove, and I tried checking various sites for it, but it doesnt list it.
    I tried finding that information too and just couldn't find it. But they are about as bright as the magic shine, but are not 900 lumens. The Enduros are not as bright as the slickrock.

Here is my last word on this thread. I ran the magicshine on the handlebars with the Slickrock 900 on the helmet the other day and I think they are a great combination. Man, that slickrock lights up a trail. HID and LED's working together in perfect harmony.