Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

New AEBike.com feature: Daily Deal

Hello folks,
    Hopefully this isn't inappropriate to post here, just trying to get the word out.
    We at AEBike.com have started a new feature, the daily deal. Roughly every weekday we will pick a popular product from our catalog and offer it at an extremely low price, even far below our normally low prices. At the moment we have a killer price on a Cateye Astrale cycle-computer.
    The deal can always be accessed at this link: http://www.aebike.com/get/deal/
    Happy shopping!
    CS
    AEBike

Freshly Fujified

Great idea

Very nice bonus from a company that already has good prices and excellent customer service.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    They do have good deals and located close to me, however I find their website to be cumbersome sometimes. Wouldn't stop me from buying, just some feedback.

Which way? Uphill.
    Great idea, the $7.50 shipping to me will probably kill the deal most of the time for me though.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    It's 7.50 for the first item, 75cents for each additional item. So just buy lots!
    Check back in a couple hours for a great deal on some 26" studded tires.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by nelluk42
    It's 7.50 for the first item, 75cents for each additional item. So just buy lots!
    Check back in a couple hours for a great deal on some 26" studded tires.
    Good to here about the shipping if I buy multiples. Thanks for the heads up on the studded tires, I'm gonna have to pick some of those up.

Man, this is not going to be good for my bank account.
    Blog

Nothing here
    Get a RSS feed. That way it'll be easy for us to find out what deal is going on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Post deleted - no longer relevant
    Last edited by nelluk42; 10-31-2006 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

RSS Feed now active

Thanks to your suggestion I have now implemented an RSS feed for the daily deal. You can find the link to it at the deal page, http://www.aebike.com/get/deal/

Thanks!
    Cullen
    AEBike.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The RSS link doesn't seem to be working?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hmm, thanks for the feedback. Could you do me a favor and tell me what browser and operating system you are using? I'd appreciate it so I can get this dialed in.
    Thanks!

Nothing here
    It works for me. I'm using Firefox. Great!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm using Firefox as well. When I click on the RSS icon I get a page that has this on the top:

"
    This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below. "

Then there is bunch of stuff below that that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Hope that helps, I really want to get the RSS feed so I don't forget to check everyday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hmm, you're probably using Firefox 1.5. A couple of suggestions:
    1 - Upgrade to Firefox 2.0, which was released last week (getfirefox.com). FF2 has much more robust RSS support and should 'just work'
    2 - Install a feed reader plugin to your firefox. I use Wiz RSS ( http://www.wizzcomputers.com/Welcome.php ). Viewing the feed should work fine on that, and it'll work better than what firefox comes with for your other feeds.

I think I know how to make my feed work with 1.5 but i'm not sure if its feasible for me to do, I'll investigate a little.

Thanks!
    Cullen

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Use the best browser!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, I've been meaning to upgrade to FF2. That's what I'll do!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hope this works for everyone else. Make sure you check todays deal, which I think is our best yet.
    A package of six 700x23-25c presta road tubes, only $8 ($12.25 shipped if you don't buy anything else)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The "Daily Deal" is a misnomer. It should be called the "Twice Weekly Deal". I notice they only put something new up once or maybe twice a week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    This is not true at all. I have put up a new deal every week day since we started. They usually go up around 1:30pm EST, I'm working on the next one now, which will be our 14th deal since we started.
    Are you checking it via the RSS feed? If so, let me know and I'll investigate and see if it is not updating.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yes, I have been checking your RSS feed. Everyday I check Woot, SAC, and aebike. Woot changes everyday. SAC changes multiple times a day. And aebike changes once or twice a week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Can you let me know what you use as your RSS reader?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    IE version 6. Windows XP.

mtbr member
    hey, nelluk42/aebike! Could you tell me what model year is the Shimano Hone crankset (both 170 and 175mm) you have in your web store? How come it cannot be purchased online? Also, is it really darl gray and not black? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hi djork
    Please email us at the main email address on our site and I will try to answer your questions.

Also, can anyone else confirm whether or not the RSS feed works consistently for them? I have tried it using three different readers, and only one of them is having problems updating it frequently, and I'm having trouble finding any tech support for this on the web, posted in all the RSS forums I can find.

EDR

... and if we just ...

Nelluk42....i've added the RSS and I would gladly buy whatever the daily special is IF you can get me a Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 UST tire!!!! Just say you have one and I'll call you in 5 minutes

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Heh, someone called me looking for that tire yesterday, was it you? But no, no sign of the Fat Albert at our supplier.
    Keep checking that Deal though!

EDR
    Heh, someone called me looking for that tire yesterday, was it you? But no, no sign of the Fat Albert at our supplier.
    Keep checking that Deal though!
    yeah, that was probably me. I've called a dozen shops all across this country! I even emailed Schwalbe. They said they expect to see them in January......JANUARY!!! Argggh!

thks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    OK guys, I tracked down the source of the RSS problem. Some RSS readers were checking the file's modification date on our server, which won't report it, and it wouldn't get updated. Technically the reader isn't supposed to do this, it's kind of a short cut.
    As a solution, I have changed the address for the feed. This should work much better for everyone. Here is the new address:
    http://www.kazookayaks.com/dailydeal.xml
    That's our alternate server for our local kayak business, the page of which is still under development.

mtbr member
    I can practically hear my credit card groaning.

If you guys could just get Shimano's most holy permission to sell stuff online, I pretty much wouldn't shop anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WolverineGator
    Try Opera. It seems significantly faster than Firefox (don't know about IE, since I gave up on that long ago), especially on the MTBR website. It handles RSS feeds.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    I can practically hear my credit card groaning.

If you guys could just get Shimano's most holy permission to sell stuff online, I pretty much wouldn't shop anywhere else.
    Who can't buy Shimano online? Perhaps you meant Specialized?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Who can't buy Shimano online? Perhaps you meant Specialized?
    I can buy shimano online, AEBike can't sell shimano online. I'd rather buy from them than any of the shimano authorized internet sellers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you guys could give me feedback as to how the RSS feed is working now I would really appreciate it. It's my first experience authoring a feed and I'm doing it all manually. One of my browsers is still cacheing the RSS file so it isn't updating as frequently as it should, not sure if this is a problem for typical users.
    Thanks
    CBS @ AEBike

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

This is all I get from that link

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    - <rss version="2.0">
    - <channel>
    <title>AEBike.com Daily Deal</title>
    <link>http://www.aebike.com/get/deal/</link>
    <description>Updated several times per week with our current "Daily Deal", one item at a temporary low price.</description>
    <lastBuildDate>Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:17:00 GMT</lastBuildDate>
    <language>en-us</language>
    - <item>
    <title>11/13 Deal: Selle San Marco Glamour Women's Race Saddle</title>
    <link>http://aebike.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=706&guid=AEBIKE-DD-17-317</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">AEBIKE-DD-17-317</guid>
    <pubDate>Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:17:00 GMT</pubDate>
    <description>It seems as though most of our customers these days are men. And with Mother's Day a scant 24 weeks away, there's no better time than today to encourage equal demographics in the peloton than a great women's racing saddle.- Features: Manufacturer part number: 530M001 - MSRP: $100.00 - Made in Italy - Rail material: CroMoly - Gel padding - Carbon fiber-reinforced plastic shell - Performance women-specific design - Length: 276mm - Width: 124mm - Weight: 210g (approx)</description>
    </item>
    </channel>
    </rss>
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    That's today's deal, the saddle. Using an RSS Reader you can subscribe to that link and it will notify you every time a new deal has posted. Most newer browsers (IE7, Firefox 2) have this built in. If you are using other RSS feeds currently but ours doesn't work for you, it'd help me if you let me know what browser/program you use.
    Thanks!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    I can buy shimano online, AEBike can't sell shimano online. I'd rather buy from them than any of the shimano authorized internet sellers.
    ...ahhhh. I see.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Well it's been about 6 weeks since we started doing the Daily Deal, and I feel it's been successful. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback or suggestions, or input on what type of items to list.
    Thanks to those of you who have participated!

No, that's not phonetic
    I have sent you guys multiple emails about a problem with a recent order (10242006055242896) and have not heard anything back. I am wondering if mail from you ends up in my Spam box and I just don't see it, or if you never responded. Please email me at tscheezy AT yahoo DOT com because I want to see if your replies actually get through or what. If you PM me to verify that it was sent then I can be sure of what happened. I got the email confirmation of my original order from you guys just fine, so it does not seem like you are being filtered. I am a little annoyed at the lack of response...

Thanks.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Rocket Scientist
    Mar 2005
    Could you have an option to combine the shipping of daily deals during a week? Personally, I would like to pick up a few of the daily deals, but dread paying shipping charges over and over again for small items that I usually don't need right away. I don't mind paying for the item at the time I purchase it.

I imagine it could be a logistic nightmare, but never hurts to ask.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hi There

I'm sorry if no one replied to your message, or if there was a miscommunication. I found your message in my spam box. I will address the issue on Monday.

Thanks!
    Cullen

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Trying to nail down fair shipping costs has been a concern of mine. My hope had been that people would just order enough other stuff that they need so that the shipping was negligible, but of course theres only so much you can buy on a regular basis. I was thinking about making the daily deals have free shipping, but of course that would involve raising the price on the deals to compensate.

Your idea is interesting. I'll mull it over to see if there is an efficient way to make it work.

Thanks!
    AEBike

flow where ever you go

Ok.........

Well it's been about 6 weeks since we started doing the Daily Deal, and I feel it's been successful. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback or suggestions, or input on what type of items to list.
    Thanks to those of you who have participated!
    How many yellow drinking bottles can anybody really want, and how many days does anyone want to find them as the daily deal? Seriously, too much cheap boring and/or useless stuff. Mix it up more, you guys carry about everything....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The TDF bottles were our most popular deal, and we had requests to bring it back, so we did. Can't please all of the people all of the time.
    As I said, when I post items that are less generic/cheap, such as a specialty component, often none of them will sell.
    I am always trying new types of items to see what works, its you guys that ultimately decide what is put up by requests and purchase history.

Captain Underpants
    If you guys could give me feedback as to how the RSS feed is working now I would really appreciate it. It's my first experience authoring a feed and I'm doing it all manually. One of my browsers is still cacheing the RSS file so it isn't updating as frequently as it should, not sure if this is a problem for typical users.
    Thanks
    CBS @ AEBike
    I'm using Safari--will try it in firefox later.

Nice idea, BTW.

Which way? Uphill.
    I'm hoping to see some Ergon Race Grips come up on the daily deal soon.
    Last edited by nepbug; 12-13-2006 at 10:40 AM.
    Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Your wish is my command. I've got a cool triathlon watch about set to go for today, but check back tomorrow!

flow where ever you go
    The TDF bottles were our most popular deal, and we had requests to bring it back, so we did. Can't please all of the people all of the time.
    As I said, when I post items that are less generic/cheap, such as a specialty component, often none of them will sell.
    I am always trying new types of items to see what works, its you guys that ultimately decide what is put up by requests and purchase history.
    Well then, keep the studded tires and business cards (or what ever they were) coming.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Also, as you'll see from nepbug's post at the bottom and my reply, I'm always open to suggestions as to what to put on the deal. There are some brands that I can't really discount this heavily, but if I can do it and there's a good supply of the item, usually I'll be more than happy to get the suggestion.

on my 3rd wind...
    Thx AE Bike for listening and trying to accommodate picky and demanding bikers who shops via internet. I have been checking it almost daily. I like the idea of shipping cost saving via being able to store different daily deal (say over a week or two) into a cart but not ship until buyer is done shopping. That way only one shipping charge for multiple daily deal item. Is that possible now?
    sth

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm always happy to listen to suggestions from customers.

Currently there is no GOOD way to save multiple daily deals. I'm pretty sure if you left one in your cart and came back the next day and added it, the old one would be gone.

What you can do is this: Place an order for a daily deal. For payment method, select "will call with credit card number." On the screen where it lets you type in order instructions, put something like "Please hold this order until I complete it later this week.".

If you do a second order, you could put in the instructions, "please add this to order number ######## which i placed on tuesday."

In your final order you could include the Credit card number and put in the notes to combine and ship your outstanding orders

Obviously this is cumbersome for both you guys and me, but if only a few people are doing this, I don't mind at all. A better solution may be forthcoming.

Thanks!
    AEBike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast