mtbr member

... and if we just ... In Need of WheelSet Price Range $250-300

Hey Guys,

I am in need of descent wheelset.
    I am riding Single Pivot Wayless bike with Juicy 7. I need disc brake compatible wheel set. I am more of a XC rider. I weigh around 165 lbs.
    Which Wheelset is the best bang for the bucks? from 200-300 price range.
    Do I need to change both wheels? Since my front is working fine, or, change the rear only?

thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    check out bicycle wheel warehouse
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

mtbr member
    Cool thanks..I checked the site
    I am thinking about Mavic XC717 XTR 965 Disc. What is your opinion on that?
    They do not say how much they charge for shipping..any ideas?

mtbr member
    mavic crossride disc $220 + shipping
    at most online vendors

FSA XC-300 on ebay for $270 + $26 shipping
    ebay FSA XC-300

mtbr member
    I ordered a set of wheels from bicyclewheelwarehouse.com (actually, it was a gift from my wife). Shipping was around $30, and the wheels, 4.2d, xtr, comp, have stood up to two rough xc rides.

Oh, and they weighed the same as listed.

Ant

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I also bought the Xtr/dt 4.2 set from bicycle wheel warehouse. They came in only a few days, the shipping was $15 to Denver. Just email them if you have any questions, they were very helpful. I am glad to hear they weighed the same as listed, i think they said about 1750 on the site, pretty light for the $330 in my opinion. I was worried they might be a little heavier as I read someone else on the forum had a 200gram difference with a set from BBW but who kowns his scale may have been off and he might have forgot the skewers.

mtbr member

Wheelworld

How about these from Wheelworld. They are pretty decent and use cartridge bearings. Similar to the DT Onyx hub but with less machining. A friend bought a pair of these and they looked reasonably nice. At $199, they are a good deal. If you are patient, they occasionall have a 20% off coupon.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=4639

mtbmoose
    spokane, wa

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cane Creek is having close outs on a lot of their wheels in this price range-with free shipping. I read on one of the roady websites that they're only going to make track wheels from now on. Might be worth a look if you like their stuff.

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tsj9197

FSA XC-300 on ebay for $270 + $26 shipping
    ebay FSA XC-300
    Better yet, 249.77:

http://www.fullcycles.com/product_in...roducts_id/265

I got this set about a month ago and I love em.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBmoose
    How about these from Wheelworld. They are pretty decent and use cartridge bearings. Similar to the DT Onyx hub but with less machining. A friend bought a pair of these and they looked reasonably nice. At $199, they are a good deal. If you are patient, they occasionall have a 20% off coupon.

mtbmoose
    spokane, wa
    I have those, the 317s with DT Cerits. They ain't light, like 2100 grams. I like the Mavic rims, but the FSAs are much lighter for nearly the same dough.

mtbr member

Good job!

Currently I have:
    WTB SpeedDisc Pro Xc 24mm rim and WTB LaserDisc Lite Hub.
    Will I see significant climbing and overall xc rideability with the recommended wheelsets.
    Please help me understand...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I really liked my fsa XC300 set and it seemed a good mix of weight strength..
    That said, they are only 169 at colorado cyclist, along with a bunch more wheelsets at pretty good prices it seems:
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/90510/

mtbr member
    May 2004
    http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/611432524.html

Interested in these? They are mine...make me an offer. Great wheelset...DT cerit Hubs, Alex dp20 rims, 32 14/15 spokes

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBmoose

mtbmoose
    spokane, wa
    Take note that the wheelset pictured is not what's advertised. The rims in that photo are 717s....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Mavic 819s (tubeless) on XTs with wheelsmith spokes for $269.99 at Beyondbikes - pretty good value if you are thinking of going tubeless - they are tube compatible as well. Crossrides are also good value - Beyondbikes has them for $220 less 12% (= $193.60) - see coupon on their site for 12% off of any factory built wheels - another $20 bucks less if you want silver over black.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by h.eye
    Mavic 819s (tubeless) on XTs with wheelsmith spokes for $269.99 at Beyondbikes - pretty good value if you are thinking of going tubeless - they are tube compatible as well. Crossrides are also good value - Beyondbikes has them for $220 less 12% (= $193.60) - see coupon on their site for 12% off of any factory built wheels - another $20 bucks less if you want silver over black.

You can get 819/XT for about 200 at Colorado Cyclist IIRC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    You can get 819/XT for about 200 at Colorado Cyclist IIRC.
    Colorado's price is actually 122 (front) + 133 (rear) as configured but to reconfigure with black spokes and nipples (vs silver) the total becomes 133.40 + 144.40 = 278.80. Colorado is Centre lock only and low end DT spokes vs Wheelsmith for Beyond Bikes (depends on preference). Shipping is similar for both places.

Quote Originally Posted by h.eye
    Colorado's price is actually 122 (front) + 133 (rear) as configured but to reconfigure with black spokes and nipples (vs silver) the total becomes 133.40 + 144.40 = 278.80. Colorado is Centre lock only and low end DT spokes vs Wheelsmith for Beyond Bikes (depends on preference). Shipping is similar for both places.
    I guess I looked at their site wrong then. I also thought I saw a set of XT/819s on Ebay from a store that was selling them in the 200 range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I guess I looked at their site wrong then. I also thought I saw a set of XT/819s on Ebay from a store that was selling them in the 200 range.
    Yeah, usually the some of the best deals are on Ebay. I often buy on Ebay when I'm not in a hurry to get the part so you can wait for a great deal to come along.

mtbr member
    How about tubeless wheels. Are they worth it?
    What happens if you need to fix a flat in a middle of nowhere?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you use Stans, the idea is you don't get a flat in the middle of nowhere.. :-)

You can still pack a tube and use it if you are on an epic ride too. The nice thing with tubeless is it allows you to run low pressure, which depending on where/what you ride is great. Here in New England, the rocks make it great to have low pressure...

But I guess the Stans is a diversion from actual tubeless wheels, I have only used Stan's conversion, not actual Tubeless wheels......

Jesus loved the dinosaurs
    I just bought a set of XT/DT Swiss 5.1d's from BWW, and couldn't be happier. They shipped very fast, and the price was good.

I used them to replace the Crossrides that the Bike Shop threw in with my new Motolite because I new the Crossrides wouldn't be good for me (I'm 6', 235 lbs. on a 5" travel bike; I'm too heavy for the Crossrides).

Quote Originally Posted by ktm2us
    How about tubeless wheels. Are they worth it?
    What happens if you need to fix a flat in a middle of nowhere?

Tubeless is the bees knees. If you're worried about flats on tubeless, carry a tube... if you flat (and you wont if you run Stan's liquid in the tire) you can just throw a tube in and be on your way, no different from changing a tube on a regular set of wheels.