mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Need some cheap brakes!

I'm doing a project bike for a buddy and I'm on a pretty tight budget. I need some brakes on the cheap as in under $100 if possible. I have some FR-5 levers and Avid rotors to go the mechanical route but some Hydro's would be nice.

Cheapest I've found for BB7 calipers is about $64 shipped from china on ebay. Then I'd need to buy cables and housing so at least another $10.

The only Hydro set I've found under $100 are avid elixir 1's for about $70 on ebay. No experience with these though.

Any alternative suggestions?

The White Jeff W
    Tons of options on ebay at or under $100. They might be used or taken off a new bike but whadda ya want for a hunnert bucks?

Brakes in Typeisc Brakes - Hydraulic | eBay

Blue Sky is always a good place to look for inexpensive brake options. Check out the BB5 complete set at $96 or the Funn EZR at $66. The reviews are good for the Funn brakes but apparently its hard (or impossible) to get replacement pads, but you can buy the caliper with pads & rotor for $16 bucks

Bike Brakes, Mountain Bike Brakes, Mountain Bike Disc Brakes, Hayes Disc Brakes, Bicycle Disc Brakes
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Tons of options on ebay at or under $100. They might be used or taken off a new bike but whadda ya want for a hunnert bucks?

Brakes in Typeisc Brakes - Hydraulic | eBay
    Are any of those a better deal than a set of elixir 1's for $79.99? Take off's or used in good shaper are just fine too.

The White Jeff W
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    In general I'm kind of wondering if cheap hydraulics like these are better than BB7's? Hmm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i have elixirs 1 's there ok stop fair , squeal a bunch yup. The first chance i get i will switch to Shimano Hydraulic

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I'm doing a project bike for a buddy and I'm on a pretty tight budget. I need some brakes on the cheap as in under $100 if possible. I have some FR-5 levers and Avid rotors to go the mechanical route but some Hydro's would be nice.

Cheapest I've found for BB7 calipers is about $64 shipped from china on ebay. Then I'd need to buy cables and housing so at least another $10.

The only Hydro set I've found under $100 are avid elixir 1's for about $70 on ebay. No experience with these though.

Any alternative suggestions?
    Try ebay they have plenty of brake deals

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Check out bikewagon.com. I'm in the same boat, looking for a setup under $100 and that's the route I'm planning on going. Get some Juicy's for around $40 a pop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm not seeing a matching set of juicy's for that price. Maybe they ran out? Did you get juicy 3's or 5's?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010