Sweat is just fat crying.

Need a set of cheap back-up wheels?

Performance has Shimano Deore Disc/Sun Rhyno Lite Wheelsets on sale for $99.99.

Not a bad deal.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Former Bike Wrench
    JensonUSA has the same set for $89...all the time

Better Deal

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    JensonUSA has the same set for $89...all the time

Better Deal
    Like I said, not a bad deal.

But. If I buy them thru Performance, being a Team Performance member, I get 10% back on my purchases (that's $10 in this case for all you non-math wizards). Plus, Performance is local for me. No shipping cost. Wonder what Jenson charges for shipping?

Still a better deal?

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

I endorse self propulsion
    i got a set of those. from performance at that. i also had them delivered to the store, which was good b/c i had to have the rear wheel trued right out of the box. but they've been reliable wheels for my old hardtail. heavy as sin. but reliable.
    "Pops trippin', he want me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."

Quote Originally Posted by biggsmoothe
    i got a set of those. from performance at that. i also had them delivered to the store, which was good b/c i had to have the rear wheel trued right out of the box. but they've been reliable wheels for my old hardtail. heavy as sin. but reliable.
    You are correct, sir. They are heavy. Good training wheels.

Thanks for the review.

fp

tl1
    Bicyclist

Are they only good for backing up?

Or can you ride forward on them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    got same rims on xt hubs for $85 shipped on ebay a while back...usually you can find em from dealers for around 125-150 if you feel like you need a better hub. I was gonna buy the set from performance, but my local shop doesn't stock 'em.

I can't weld
    You can save $10 and a full pound in weight by going with the Deore disc/Sun DS-2 wheelset from BlueSkyCycling.com, assuming you can go full disc and not need a rim with a machined brake track. This allows a lighter rim to be used. I abused these for a year and was very satisfied except for a few nipples that kept loosening. Would definately make a decent back-up wheelset. I've kept mine, just in case.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well since:
    a) I'm not a member of "team performance" nor do I ever intend to be because
    b) There isn't a Performance near me and
    c) I can almost always find a better deal through Cambria, JensonUSA, or PricePoint then
    d) The $89 wheelset from JensonUSA is the better deal for me or anyone else who is in a similar situation.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'd spend 50 bucks more and get XT hubs and different (better & lighter) rims. My 2 cents only.... IndieFab has a good recommendation too. Same deal I believe at Jenson. Your Peformance deal is good too, I just don't think the Deore hubs are a better deal than the XT deals out there.

Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    Or can you ride forward on them?

Oh, dammit. Ya got me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am also looking for training wheels and came across WTB LaserDisc Mavic XC-717 Wheelset 14/15 at 1570grams for $350 at colorado cyclist.

More expensive then what u guys are discussing but seems like decent weight and ok price, any thoughts or experience?

anyone else smell that?
    training?? backup?? i ride rhynolites with xt hubs as my one and only wheelset. they have been great. though...i do want to get a freehub buddy to make sure i maintain the grease in the rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I think cambria has the deore/ryhnolites for $89 all the time as well