Thread: NC MTB shops

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

NC MTB shops

(Sorry if this is duplicated, I had problems posting the initial thread)

I'm going to be in Matthews/Charlotte NC during October & was wondering if anyone could recommend any shops in this area?

We're staying in the UNC-Charlotte area, so if that's near any stores, that would be OK as well.

Thanks

Kris
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Do It Yourself
    Try the MTBR NC forum...

http://forums.mtbr.com/north-south-carolina/

or the local mtb site...

http://www.smallbrowndog.com/
    Long Live Long Rides

rob
    slakDawg
    Bike Line is the closest to UNCC, right across the street as a matter of fact.
    1001 E WT Harris Blvd
    Charlotte, NC 28213
    704-549-8804 phone

Sun and Ski Sports is about 7 miles north off of I-85 at Concord Mills (Speedway Blvd).

As HomeBrew stated, check out http://www.smallbrowndog.com/shops.html for more local shops. If you need a hook up for rides, check out the Forum.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rob
    Bike Line is the closest to UNCC, right across the street as a matter of fact.
    1001 E WT Harris Blvd
    Charlotte, NC 28213
    704-549-8804 phone

Sun and Ski Sports is about 7 miles north off of I-85 at Concord Mills (Speedway Blvd).

As HomeBrew stated, check out http://www.smallbrowndog.com/shops.html for more local shops. If you need a hook up for rides, check out the Forum.
    Thanks for the help guys. I won't have time for riding as we'll be there for the NASCAR race that weekend. I take it Concord Mills is the mall that the Bass Pro Shops is at?
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Correctimundo !

QUOTE=revrnd] I take it Concord Mills is the mall that the Bass Pro Shops is at?[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobart
    QUOTE=revrnd] I take it Concord Mills is the mall that the Bass Pro Shops is at?
    [/QUOTE]

yup you are right about that...bass pro shop is at concord mills....You said matthews area?? There is The Bicycle shop (Trek, Haro) on monroe rd in matthews and one more..forgot the name.(gary fisher).maybe .10 mile from there on monroe rd. Anyways...bogity bogity bogity

rob
    slakDawg

No time to ride?!?! That's blasphemes...

...one of Charlotte's best trails is about 4 miles from Concord Mills. Come on, it's only a NASCAR race, you can watch that on t.v.

If you don't want to bring a bike, there are a couple shops in town that rent bikes.

Beech Springs (AKA Poplar Tent):
    http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...5_4567crx.aspx
    http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/t....cfm?trailid=1
    Last edited by rob; 08-16-2004 at 05:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Charlotte

You should rent a bike because there is definitely some fun trails right in the city. You should stop by Southpark Cycles. They are within 4 miles of three different trail heads. You should ask for Kevin he is the mechanic and would take you out riding. They also have Konas and Gary fishers for rent there. If I was you I would rent a dawg from them. Great bike for the trails around there. Ride and watch Nascar on TV. I second that motion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby-doo
    You should rent a bike because there is definitely some fun trails right in the city. You should stop by Southpark Cycles. They are within 4 miles of three different trail heads. You should ask for Kevin he is the mechanic and would take you out riding. They also have Konas and Gary fishers for rent there. If I was you I would rent a dawg from them. Great bike for the trails around there. Ride and watch Nascar on TV. I second that motion.
    ok...what trail heads are 4 miles from southpark cycles?? I know of reni and the neighborhood trail across from the retirement home on tyvola...but you named 3?? which ones are you talking about that are 4 miles away??

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

You guys are going to kill me but I can ride any day of the week up here in the Great White North. I only get to 1, maybe 2 Cup races a year. We really don't have a lot of time w/ the drive down & back (2 days each way) in the Charlotte area.

Thanks for the help w/ the shops though.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    You guys are going to kill me but I can ride any day of the week up here in the Great White North. I only get to 1, maybe 2 Cup races a year. We really don't have a lot of time w/ the drive down & back (2 days each way) in the Charlotte area.

Thanks for the help w/ the shops though.
    No prob, I was just busting your balls, I grew up here in Charlotte and live within 2 miles of the race track. NASCAR OVERLOAD!! Anyways, it's not about where you ride today, it's where can you ride tomorrow...

Scooby-Snacks, I'd also like to know of the other trail that close to SPC? thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

3 places to ride?

You have got the two down. Rennaissance and the backyard trails. The other is the auto doctor. Moto cross course. Sandy portal road is where it is off of. Not sure it is still there. I was there a while agao and the Southpark boys hooked me up. Good guys to ride with. They also have a great wed. night race series. Your the home town boy though so you have probably ridden the auto doctor. Cheers

rob
    slakDawg
    Ah yes, the Auto Doc trails, I haven't been there in years and I thought that developments took most of them out. Last time I rode there, a bunch of ATVs were tearing it up. That was a fun trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yep, Auto Doc trails were pretty good..not too tech, but fast

Don't forget Catawba Riverfront and Beach Spring. Also, whatever happened to Cane Creek, for that matter, Reedy Creek, that little technical section of McAlpine Greenway, and some park off of Tuckaseegee Road, on the river? Years ago ( ~10 + yrs. ) Cane Creek was THE place to ride.

JT

Ah yes, the Auto Doc trails, I haven't been there in years and I thought that developments took most of them out. Last time I rode there, a bunch of ATVs were tearing it up. That was a fun trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So where is this auto doc place....I want to check it out if its still around. ALso are there any maps or anything to those neighborhood trails off of tyvola across from the retirement community in the neighborhood off that dead end street. I've only been there once. The trails didn't really flow but they are alot of fun. Some awesome jumps. It didn't seem like many people ride there though. I had to play cobweb duty all afternoon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Auto Doktur directions from the NC Trail Review link

Auto Doktur is an auto repair shop located off of Sandy Porter Rd. between Shopton and 49. Park at Auto Doktur, there's designated mt. bike parking, gate closes after 5, park roadside at other times Trailhead is across the street.

I think the reviews as well as the directions are quite old. I'm not sure if the repair shop is under that name anymore.

JT