Thread: Nashbar Warning

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Nashbar Warning

I received an e-mail today from Nashbar stating that my order shipped. Problem is I didn't place one. My billing address was used but the stuff was shipped to a guy at MIT in Cambridge, MA. Of course Nashbar is closed and the charge isn't showing up at my bank yet so I'm not sure which card was used. I am extremely careful on where I use my credit card online so this is really strange.

Anyone else have anything weird happen like this?

One wheeled
    I'd call Nashbar as soon as they open, cancel the order, find out which card, and cancel that too. It sounds like identity theft, not a Nashbar problem. Same thing happened to me, but they changed my address and ordered a TV. It was caught before anything was shipped. It doesn't matter how careful you are, dirtbags are everywhere. In the end, after many hours of my time, nobody was charged with anything because no money was lost.

mtbr member
    once you find out which card was used, let them know.

Back when MBNA was it's own company, someone got my number somehow. Ordered a bunch of stuff, which they took care of. There was one order, I think it was banana republic, they shipped it to a po box or mail boxes etx - and arranged to have police there to meet the guy when he picked it up. I got a kick out of that...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Definitely call. It could be just an email problem. I placed 2 orders with Nashbar and never got the email confirmation. Called and items were shipped to me. Ended up they had some crazy email address for me which they were sending the confirmation to. So it was really just an email confirmation problem.
    Definitely look into it but hopefully that is all it is. If was shipped to Groton, MA I would have said you got my email.. :-)

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    I received an e-mail today from Nashbar stating that my order shipped. Problem is I didn't place one. My billing address was used but the stuff was shipped to a guy at MIT in Cambridge, MA. Of course Nashbar is closed and the charge isn't showing up at my bank yet so I'm not sure which card was used. I am extremely careful on where I use my credit card online so this is really strange.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-2087274-10453324?cm_ven=CJ&cm_cat=1477339&cm_pla=2087274&c m_ite=NEW+-+Performance+Bicycle+" vspale=0></iframe><iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-2087274-10461127?cm_ven=CJ&cm_cat=1477339&cm_pla=2087274&c m_ite=New+-+Bike+Nashbar" vspale=0></iframe>

Anyone else have anything weird happen like this?
    It doesn't have to be stolen from using it onlline. If you go to a retaurant or somewhere where they take your card and then return it. they can easily steal your card # and then create a new card from a blank CC

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I called and the order wasn't placed using either of my cards. The guy said our customer numbers were similar and there could have been a glitch, but he wasn't sure how the order processed with the other guys credit card and my billing address

I started researching the guy it was being sent to last night and found out he's some computer genius at MIT. Haha! I e-mailed him (found his #, and a picture on the net) and he said no he had used a $100 gift certificate and his own credit card when he placed the order and he was calling Nashbar this morning too!

Oh well, I just wanted to let everyone know in case something similar happens.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    It's good to hear this was just an innocent mistake and no crime was committed. I guess it proves these things can and do happen innocently.

Three sheets to the wind
    Wow, that was odd! Luckily it sounds like an error at Nashbar and not an ID theft. I'm in the business and for what it's worth in these times it's a good idea to take a look at your credit header twice a year or so, just to make sure.

Wanderer
    I wouldn't worry anyway. CC companys are pretty good about removing charges.

I had $1000 charged once and they removed it pretty quickly.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Yeah mine is pretty good. I twice had Italian ATMs rip me off (60 and 80 euro) I called them to tell them the machine didn't give me money and they credited my account immediately and said they would investigate the problem with the Italian bank.

I just had a restaurant that charged me twice last week due to a "broken machine" and the bank noticed it and fixed it.

They are kind of slacking though...my debit card expired last month and they didn't send me a new one yet! I called and asked where it was and they apologized and said they would expedite it out at "no charge to me".

Members who have read this thread: 0