It's Makeable
    Mar 2008

Nashbar Shipping is Taxed to California

Legal Eagles:

A recent order from Nashbar resulted in a credit card charge that was different than the online receipt. The invoice that arrived with the order ordered the charges differently than the online receipt.

What?

Well, the reason I bring this up is that Nashbar is charging tax on "Shipping/Handling" to California despite inconsistent application of the tax law. Seems a bit shady to me. The PDF for ordering does not separate shipping and handling. There is not mention if handling, so there is no tax on the shipping.

There is no mention of handling on the online receipt either. No tax should be charged.

The invoices with the order list "Shipping & Handling" so Nashbar can get away with skimming money from its customers. IOW, if Nashbar include $0.01 for handling, the entire "Shipping & Handling" portion or your order may be taxed.

This is California. Seems shady. In case it matters, my online receipt was off by only $0.01, but the additional penny was not authorized!*

Bothered, I am. Hot? Not so much.

Perhaps I am still aggravated by the Acai Pills I rec'd courtesy of the Nashbar credit card account mismanagement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

CA Sales Tax

Unfortunately, the reason Nashbar charges CA sales tax is that it is owned by Performance Bike. Since Performance Bike has multiple bicycle shops in CA, Sales tax must be charged. Sure wish that was not the case.
    [SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Sales Tax

However, Sales tax should never be charged on services, including shipping charges. I've used Nashbar before and never had sales tax on the shipping/handling part. Call them and I'm sure it must be a mistake.
    [SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nashbar charges tax on all orders...they are located in Ohio, and any internet business based in Ohio has to charge the appropriate sales tax from the state in which the original order was delivered to

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by doco
    Nashbar charges tax on all orders...they are located in Ohio, and any internet business based in Ohio has to charge the appropriate sales tax from the state in which the original order was delivered to
    I have not been taxed on any of my Nashbar internet orders. So it seems they do not charge tax on ALL orders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by poontank
    I have not been taxed on any of my Nashbar internet orders. So it seems they do not charge tax on ALL orders.
    whoops, I was in hurry....most states...I am in Colorado and all orders from Nashbar include the state tax....I just ordered a vitamix from Ohio and was also charged state tax

pisses me off ...Ohio is the only place to get the extra tax charge

It's Makeable
    Mar 2008

A mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by CCTrog
    However, Sales tax should never be charged on services, including shipping charges. I've used Nashbar before and never had sales tax on the shipping/handling part. Call them and I'm sure it must be a mistake.
    Indeed, I looked at some older orders and found that sales tax was not charged on shipping. This one order must have gotten mangled pretty good somewhere b/w "Submit" and delivery.
    I feel much better now

It's Makeable
    Mar 2008

Shipping = Shipping and Handling and it is taxed in California

Quote Originally Posted by fogman
    Indeed, I looked at some older orders and found that sales tax was not charged on shipping. This one order must have gotten mangled pretty good somewhere b/w "Submit" and delivery.
    I feel much better now
    One e-mail and two phone calls to straighten out one botched order (everything in Nashbar's favor). All is right, except that there are better ways to spend the time .. like on the bike!
    Shipping = Shipping and Handling at Nashbar. You will be taxed in California. County tax rates are different, but you will be dinged for tax on shipping. A good example is an order I placed for Gu and some other food. No tax on any of the food (*), but tax on the $9.99 shipping.
    It got pretty annoying listening to all the "this one time, we will help you" when, as far as I am concerned, Nashbar is stealing from me ( online order vs. credit card charge, and a lot of grief for price adjustments). Crappy business.

* It is not food , is it

mtbr member
    You are disgruntled about the tax, that is going to the gov. Not to Nashbar's profits. So you should complain about the state and not Nashbar. If you want to start complaining about the state's taxes, well.. get in line.

Now if Nashbar is charging you a tax, and pocketing it, I think they would be in deep with bigger issues other than unhappy customers.

I'll reserve my opinions about Nashbar since they are somewhat irrelevent to the issues in this thread.

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    Here is the link just in case someone wanted to peek
    http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqpurch.htm#10
    If you can't play, display.