Rat Fink

Nashbar jacks up MSRP for bogus discounts

Nashbar is advertising the DiNotte Ultralight at $189.95 down from MSRP of $249.99 for a 24% discount. (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=15430) The list price on that item is in fact $199 (http://www.dinottelighting.com/DiNot...ng_Ultra_5.htm), so the real discount is $10, not $60 as they're leading you to believe.

I called them about it but they won't apply the advertised discount to the real MSRP.

Bottom line is they're acting like Sears and jacking the price up to apply what appears to be a substancial discount.

Might be worth looking at their other 'sale' items.

They lost me as a customer.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I got a giro xen from them for 79.99 with free shipping so i am very pleased with them...especially when my local LBS wont budge from a 139 asking price for the same helmet

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaTrailRider
    I got a giro xen from them for 79.99 with free shipping so i am very pleased with them...especially when my local LBS wont budge from a 139 asking price for the same helmet
    Just curious but who is your LBS in Tampa?

Who are the brain police?
    I just bought 5 items from them and got the 15% off plus another 10% at checkout.

I'm happy.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Rant

I see your frustration, mbmojo. This practice of artificially inflating the MSRP is one of the reasons that I'm starting to bypass the middle man and purchase items directly from where they are manufactured, i.e. Asia, and, in the process, destroy the American Economy.

I wonder how long it will take for the US to lose its Economic stronghold.

Sorry for the tangent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ok maybe i exaggerated that they wouldnt budge on the price, they would probably hook me up but not as far down to 79.99...my shop is AJs Bikes and i have nothing but good things to say about them, i wasnt trying to put AJs down just giving props to nashbar. AJs is a great shop and they always hook me up but sometimes you just find better deals online

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Ok maybe i exaggerated that they wouldnt budge on the price, they would probably hook me up but not as far down to 79.99...my shop is AJs Bikes and i have nothing but good things to say about them, i wasnt trying to put AJs down just giving props to nashbar. AJs is a great shop and they always hook me up but sometimes you just find better deals online
    I only asked because I am a new mountain biker in the Tampa area. I have also been using AJ's. I like them and they seem involved with the local riding clubs.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah dude AJs guys know a lot about the area and they are all riders so they have first hand information...if you dont mind me asking how old are you? Its hard to find riders around here my age so im usually riding with guys older than me

no shoes no shirt no dice
    Quote Originally Posted by gringopapo
    I see your frustration, mbmojo. This practice of artificially inflating the MSRP is one of the reasons that I'm starting to bypass the middle man and purchase items directly from where they are manufactured, i.e. Asia, and, in the process, destroy the American Economy.

I wonder how long it will take for the US to lose its Economic stronghold.

Sorry for the tangent.
    How do you get your stuff directly from the manufacturer? Don't you have to be a distributor and buy in bulk?

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Yeah dude AJs guys know a lot about the area and they are all riders so they have first hand information...if you dont mind me asking how old are you? Its hard to find riders around here my age so im usually riding with guys older than me
    Ahh. . . I think you might be disappointed, I am 41
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    haha its all good...im used to it, i usally go out to alafia all the time and i ride with guys in there 40s and 50s. Even when i go out there by myself i'll end up meeting some guy in his 50s or 60s.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Van
    How do you get your stuff directly from the manufacturer? Don't you have to be a distributor and buy in bulk?
    Naw, I'm just talking websites like ledshoppe.com, bikesdirect.com (which is still, technically, a middle man but the frames are cheap) and other websites popping up these days playing to the consumers thirst towards directs from Asia wholesalers.

Shreddin the Cul de Sac
    Three of us combined our order for the Light and Motion Arc NiMH (plus two $2 rimstrips, to get the 15% off five items). After adding the 10% discount code, we paid a total of $288 dollars each, including shipping. I think that's a pretty good price for that light.
    keep moving

Transplant
    Well didn't really read any of the other posts but I got a Pedro's Master Tool Kit 2.0 about a year ago from Nashbar. Funny because I work at a shop and it was about $150-200 lower then wholesale. Markups in the bike biz are crazy enough but there are deals to be had!

Transplant
    This is kind of funny though!
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...rand:%20Pedros

-9% savings!

mtbr member
    i hate nashbar... they have F-ed up every order i have got. and mess up prices, shipping. and you order things and when it comes..not there... discontinued.... not once, but twice... no more nashbar for me.