Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Nashbar GT Frames

Nashbar has some killer deals on frames right now, especially GT's, and free shipping through today. I just ordered a couple of Peace 9r frames.

Nashbar - Mountain Bike Frames

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Do these frames actually come with their shock they show in the picture?

Edit: oh nvm, I see they dont now. But I bought Marathon 2 frame for my GF anyways. It was so cheap and I've always wanted her to try a full suspension - this can be the bridge. Thanks for the heads up! +rep!
    Last edited by KVW; 07-18-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tempted to pick up a marathon 9r but not having luck finding what the rear shock specs are. Don't really need to spend the cash anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It looks like an I-drive 4 frame so 6" eye to eye 1.25" stroke M8x21.8mm/M8x40mm bushings needed. I know arts cycles has that FoxRP3 shox for $99.99 if you add another $50 for the hard wear that equals about $350 for a full suspension 29er frame. Not a bad deal at all.

mtbr member
    Is it possible to make the peace 9r into a geared bike? (Sorry for the stupid question) The reason i ask is bc i have the gt karakoram 3.0 from blue sky, but it is just too big. I need a smaller frame bc i hate getting my balls crushed on the toptube

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ddouble518 View Post
    It looks like an I-drive 4 frame so 6" eye to eye 1.25" stroke M8x21.8mm/M8x40mm bushings needed. I know arts cycles has that FoxRP3 shox for $99.99 if you add another $50 for the hard wear that equals about $350 for a full suspension 29er frame. Not a bad deal at all.
    That really isn't helping me avoid the temptation dude . Going to have to read some reviews of that frame to see if it sounds any better than my old 03 GF sugar 29r. As prone as the sugar frames are to breaking it maybe nice just to have this as a back up.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by ddouble518 View Post
    You don't happen to have the marathon 2 shock/bushing specs do you?

I emailed GT and they took 2 days to reply and just said call Nashbar. Not a good sign...

I called Nashbar and they don't have the specs. They said these are warranty frame replacements being dropped shipped directly from the manufacture. In other words, if you were to break said GT frame, they would send you these (guess that's going to leave current GT owners out of luck?). So yah, he said he couldn't help me. Suggest I contact Fox or other shock manufactures as they may have known models already compatible with this frame...
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm pretty sure the 8x22/ 8x40 bushings are the same for the 4-5" full bikes in the gt line at least for the years from 2005-2010. I know the 5" bikes have a 7.5" eye to eye with 2" stroke so I would think all the 4" would have a 6" with eye to eye with 1.25" stroke. They are all based on variations of the i drive system. I don't know about the carbon frames but i would guess the would follow suit.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    That really isn't helping me avoid the temptation dude . Going to have to read some reviews of that frame to see if it sounds any better than my old 03 GF sugar 29r. As prone as the sugar frames are to breaking it maybe nice just to have this as a back up.
    The only thing thats stopping me from trying this out is the fact I have a tapered fork and don't want to also invest in that also

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    THANK YOU! +rep. I destroyed my frame over the weekend, was able to pick up a sanction for >$200 with a 20% off code! You just saved the rest of my season!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anyone know the bushing specs for the Sanction? I know the shock is 7.5x2...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    39.88X8 and 21.85X8

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    GT just told me 22x8, 40x8.
    Also talked to Push, who said you can just call in with your bike model and they can cut reducers for you for about $35.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Airic81, there are at least a couple of different options for converting single-speed drop outs to add a derailleur hanger but I have not tried either so I can't offer any recommendations:

Universal Cycles -- DMR 10mm Chain Tugs w/ Derailleur Hanger

Problem Solvers

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by miles of pain View Post
    GT just told me 22x8, 40x8.
    Also talked to Push, who said you can just call in with your bike model and they can cut reducers for you for about $35.
    Wow you got alot better response from GT than I did.

In fact, the combination of their ignoring me/blowing me off to nashbar (who couldn't help either), GT's website no longer offering archived docs of their bikes prior to 2009, and the numerous threads about i-drive components repeatedly coming loose/creaking with supporting links to GT's website that are now broken, having no clear cut answer when calling shops other than "bring the frame in and we'll see if we can help you out", I've decided to just return the frame when it arrives and eat the 15 dollars return shipping.

Just leaving a bad taste in my mouth... Just a shame, I used to be such a fan of GT. Always had a soft spot for em since it was my first mountain bike back in 93. Oh well...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Meh, I don't expect them to offer excellent support on a 2008 closeout model. I read the creaking threads and worry a little also, but it seems with the right grease that problem is really a non-issue. There's a problem with the forums where the vocal minority can appear to be the majority- I'm hoping that's the case as for the pivots.

But for <$200 for a new frame, we can't really complain!

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by miles of pain View Post
    Meh, I don't expect them to offer excellent support on a 2008 closeout model. I read the creaking threads and worry a little also, but it seems with the right grease that problem is really a non-issue. There's a problem with the forums where the vocal minority can appear to be the majority- I'm hoping that's the case as for the pivots.

But for <$200 for a new frame, we can't really complain!
    Kind of a agree and disagree. I know it's an 08 closeout part, but I'm always purchasing closeout parts and have always got great support so long as I showed that I did purchase it new from a official retailer and it wasn't second hand.

I don't know. If it were just for me, maybe I would take on that challenge - god know I have enough bikes to ride in the meantime, this could be a side learning project. But since this was for my GF, the last thing I wanted to do is fight with it and always be wrenching on it trying to chase down some creaks/squeaks.

Btw, on some of those threads if you read the same thing, it was a little more than just grease and locktite. Someone mentioned needing some sort of .5mm shims needed to keep the i-drive bolts from coming loose again. I don't know, I'm sure I would conquer it eventually. It was just discouraging to see all the document links those troubleshooting threads were referring to broken. That and the Marathon in particular is hardly ever even discussed in that entire GT subforum. The other thing is, I don't know if such a steep head angle of the Force and Marathon is a good thing. I just got my girl friend to come with me to Downieville, the last thing I need is to give her a bike with a nervous steering front end.

Yesterday I went on ebay and got her one of these instead:
    '09 KHS XCT 535 Bicycle Frame w/ X-Fusion 02 RC Air Shox 5" Rear Travel New OE | eBay

Frame is about the same weight as the force/marathon with a slacker HA and comes complete with shock, headset, derailleur hanger and fully warrantied as it's an OE part from a reputable retailer "better bikes". Hoping her next trip to downieville is even more badass as she had alot of fun on her hardtail. It was a crowded day and she was only 1 of 2 people total we ever saw on a hardtail - she should be much better equipped the next time up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post

Yesterday I went on ebay and got her one of these instead:
    '09 KHS XCT 535 Bicycle Frame w/ X-Fusion 02 RC Air Shox 5" Rear Travel New OE | eBay

Frame is about the same weight as the force/marathon with a slacker HA and comes complete with shock, headset, derailleur hanger and fully warrantied as it's an OE part from a reputable retailer "better bikes". Hoping her next trip to downieville is even more badass as she had alot of fun on her hardtail. It was a crowded day and she was only 1 of 2 people total we ever saw on a hardtail - she should be much better equipped the next time up.
    That frame is a great deal, just built one up a few weeks ago for a buddy. I just picked up a force for me and marathon for the GF, hopefully everything goes smoothly. The GF rode my salsa big mama and pretty much just looked at me with puppy eyes for a FS. Is there a decent place to order bushings? and anyone know if those bushing sizes listed earlier work for all of the GT frames? mainly the force and women's marathon?
    Last edited by zedaristo; 07-24-2012 at 02:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    for bushings/reducers, call Push Industries, they will get you sorted no problem.

GAME ON!
    just like the last gt closeout they had, it's mostly small, x-small
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Thanks op. I managed to snag a Gt marathon 9r the other day. The deals going on right now are perfect for the budget biker.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillout2010 View Post
    Thanks op. I managed to snag a Gt marathon 9r the other day. The deals going on right now are perfect for the budget biker.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for the heads up!!
    Hope you enjoy your new ride.
    zarr
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    Nashbar has some killer deals on frames right now, especially GT's, and free shipping through today. I just ordered a couple of Peace 9r frames.
    *********************l/JeYTj[/IMG]

Nashbar - Mountain Bike Frames
    Is it still going on?

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by gridtalker View Post
    Is it still going on?
    click the link?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    FYI, Good news and bad news if you ordered one of the Peace 9r frames:

The good - The frames I ordered on July 19 arrived yesterday in good condition. So if you ordered one on or around the same day yours should be showing up soon. The SS frame I ordered in matte green looks great.

The bad - Not only was the 9r Multi frame that they sent me not the same one that was pictured, it wasn't even from the same year as the one pictured. They showed the newer model with the rasta paint and 27.2 seatpost size, what I got was the older model with the metallic blue paint and the 26.8 (27.0?) seatpost size. I'm not a huge fan of the blue and the non-standard seatpost diameter but I'll probably keep the frame anyway as $99 steel frames are hard to come by...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast