Thread: nashbar bites

mtbr member

nashbar bites

I ordered some stuff from them last week when they had a sale. I ordered 6 items and when the final check out happened they listed only four minus the discount. I called nashbar and told them about it. Their customer service said they have no record of the transaction. I asked her if she was sure and she said she was and gave me her name. Yesterday the order showed up. Now I have to clean up this mess but of course I will have to wait till monday to speak to customer service.

GIT-R-DONE!
    I feel your pain. Like yourself I placed an order last week and when it arrived a 2 days later the light I ordered was broken. So I called them up and they told me that they do not have any record of my order.

So here I am with a busted light and a few other goods that I paid for but apparently nashbar does not have a record of it. So I wonder if I called up my credit card company and told them to reverse the charges. If nashbar will all of a sudden find my order and make things right!
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Are you guys serious?

That is whack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    call your cc company and get them to call nashbar. they'll probably 'find' your order after that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

typical

One quirk of nashbar is that their ordering/customer service is completely separate from their distribution facility. In other words neither one can communicate with the other except by one mass download per day from one facilities computer to the other. This is the information I've garnered from their customer service, anyway.

So I just keep that in mind when I order from them knowing that if either I or them make a mistake I will just have to take delivery and go through the hassle of returning merchandise even if one of us catches the mistake before the order ships.

Off course, all of the other online manufacturers have their little quirks, too. It's always give and take.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well I have a love/hate relationship with them right now. I order the $45 steel MTB frame from them 3 weeks ago. It arrived, but damaged (the rear triangle was crushed and so was the rear dropouts. They did send me a return shipping label and took it back. Then last night I was trying to order the 853 Reynolds frame. My connection was messed up with the server. So I called today, explained what happened and they gave me the 20% discount even though that coupon expired yesterday. So, as long as that frame arrives in good condition (I paid for the 2 day shipping this time) then I'll have no complaints. Overall I've had good experiences with them, but I do understand that when you deal with that much volume, problems happen.
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

banned
    I found out that Nashbar and Performance Cycles are the same company.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    They are owned by the same company, but they don't carry each others stuff or work together. Which would be great for me if they did since there is a Performance store 8 miles from my house!
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I ordered a jacket from them (only because I couldn't find it anywhere else) 2 weeks ago and still haven't seen it. I called them and they said it takes 7-12 business days to receive the order because they ship it via pony express. I wish I had known that when I placed the order so I could have had it shipped via FedEx!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ordered that large toolkit from them via USPS for $80 and it was at my PO Box in 3 days.

Schwinn love
    Nov 2005
    I don't think they're too bad. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them. Though mostly when they have sales and coupons together. But don't order using standard mail. Unless you don't mind waiting two weeks. Express is usually not much more.
    As fast as Litespeed

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

never had a problem with nashbar

I order about 4 times a year when they have a closeout or a really good deal on something I need. I always pay for the basic USPS shipping and the order usually gets to my house within 5 days, the most I ever waited was 10 days. I live in missouri, so maybe that has something to do with it.
    I really like a lot of the generic nashbar parts, especially the price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

My experiences

I ordered a bunch of shite on their returns section. That section states that they'll contact me if an item is no longer available. Anyway, I order a frame, wheelset, and a fork, all from their returns section. I also ordered a bunch of parts to build the bike up. Anyway, I check on the order the next day online, and it says that the main parts (frame, wheelset, and fork) are not available, but that the remaining items (which I don't need anymore) will be shipped.

I call customer service and cancel the order. A week later, all the goddamn parts I don't need show up at my door. I went to UPS and had to return it.

A month later (not having learned my lesson), I ordered a $200 returned fork, and a $20 saddle. Not wanting to pay $8 shipping on just a $20 saddle, I state in the comments section that the entire order should be cancelled if the fork is not available. Guess what happened next? Yup.

over 50 years of cycling

No good has been

Nashbar USED TO be my favorite place to buy stuff. I bought tons of stuff there.
    I think when they were bought out, they also fell apart as a source.
    Prices went up.
    Selection went down.(if you count ACTUAL STOCK)
    Shipping rates went up.
    They added sales tax (did NOT have that before for my location)
    They started pulling the "out of stock" of everything you WANTED to buy but get you for $8 bucks shipping for a set of $2 tire irons you added on as an impulse buy at the last second.....and somehow your cancellation of the order didn't work.

Now I only use them rarely and NEVER add that couple buck impulse buy stuff onto the order, and only if its a REALLY good deal.

Seems like a lot of companies go through that "started good then went downhill" cycle.