Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Merino Wool

5K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  tkblazer 
#1 ·
Looking for a descent deal on a Merino Wool jersey. So far Smartwool seems to have some pretty good prices, but nothing on sale. Anyone know where to go ?

#4 ·
2times said:
I checked out Portland Cyclewear and products look pretty nice. Have you tried their jerseys ? if so, what do you think ?
I've owned 3 of their jerseys for almost two years now. They've held up really well considering the abuse they've seen. No issues with the logo falling off and the fit was as advertised (I went with the transfer style -not embrodiery). Our club (ri nemba) ordered ~ 25 from Chad and they came out great all around.

I've also owned older Spot, Surly and EWNR jerseys. All of them have been great jerseys. I usually wear wool year round nowadays and ride ~ 250 days a year (more in a good year), both mtb and road. As long as you don't mess up and toss it in a warm wash, or fall into a thicket, they should wear well. Oh yeah, keep the moths at bay as well!

#5 ·
try icebreaker brand, great merino stuff, tight weave, long cut, and they have decent sales. ibex is just a expensive as swobo so i don't touch the stuff anymore, unless found in a thrift store, which happens once in a blue moon. smartwool fabric really doesn't do it for me, stick to 100% merino. i also have a new jersey coming from chad at portland cyclewear- he has a new line of merino stuff too- and the jerseys from him seem really nice. if my club likes, or some fellow 24hr teams, then a bulk order is definitely the way to go- hope so.

#6 ·
Im trying merino wool for the first time this year. I have Ibexs' top of the line base layer and I really like it alot. Merino wool acts as advertised and I will be buying more pieces as thr wallet permits. Merino wool isnt cheap but I have seen a few deals here from time to time and they are legit. http://www.vermontgear.com/index.html Ibex also has an outlet section and be sure to sign up for email specials.

#7 ·
Keep an eye on Steep and Cheap, I picked up this Zoic Smartwool longsleeve jersey for about $35. It's been listed on SAC 16 times so far, so it'll probably be back again. There's an Icebreaker women's Merino jersey listed there right as I type this post for over 50% off.

#8 ·
Thanks for the tip. I signed up with " Steep and Cheap ". You mentioned above the jersey was ' smartwool' although the add says ' sportwool' -- anyway this leads me to my next Q -- I checked out Smartwool's website and they got allot of jersey type pullovers, anyone know which one was designed for cycling ?

#10 ·
It's zoic sportswool not smartwool

Smartwool is a name brand like Zoic. The Zoic sportswool is a 60/40 wool/poly blend. Smartwool doesn't have any current cycling jerseys. However, they are releasing a couple this spring. Ibex makes jerseys. Canari also makes a couple of merino jerseys.

http://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=2161870

#11 ·
I just picked up a pair of Craft wool/poly undershirts for $27 each from REI outlet (if I didn't like them I'd just return them). They have been amazing in the cold. The temperature was 43 to 45 degrees, cold humid, and the sky was overcast. I wore a thin poly shirt over the undershirt just to cut down on some of the wind penetration. The wind still cut right through both layers but as soon as I slowed down or stopped, I warmed right back up again. I was sweating pretty good at the end of the ride (3.5 hrs) but the wool kept me warm even when it was wet. With all of my thermal poly shirts, they would have been wet and freezing.

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/761595?vcat=OUTLET_SEARCH
The XL is a perfect fit for me. Long arms and long torso, snug but not tight in the waist, perfect break at the shoulders, and a nice fit around the neck.

#12 ·
"I was sweating pretty good at the end of the ride (3.5 hrs) but the wool kept me warm even when it was wet."

Thats the best feature of wool of all of them

#23 ·
labor of merino deals

yea, dem icebreaker woolies on SAC were nice; such a task to catch these deals as they cycle thru the 24 hours. still, icebreaker stuff is showing up everyday, like the coronet tops which are soooo nice. my GF has been making a killing on the site as there is more women's icebreaker items, and women's bike clothing on.
anyway, SAC has quite a bit of cycle stuff showing up: ; gloves, lycra shorts, knickers, tops of all types (MTB shoes are gone/northwave kameleons); brands such as castelli, pearl izumi, some zoic. but oakley bike stuff is gone, and the blackburn hard stuff seems exhausted too. but what comes next- who knows? heck, i saw a de rosa road frame on there the other day.
all-in-all, SAC is definitely buying up overstock of bike related stuff than ever before.
those ibex wool knickers on aebikes (?) is a great deal.

#26 ·
I ended up with an icebreaker sport ltd 320 from SAC and I gotta say, I'm sold on quality Merino. It seems to keep my body temp within a closer range than the other synthetics I have. I found a guy on Ebay that sells smartwool for a pretty good price as well. I will now look for a Merino base layer t-shirt to go under the Icebreaker, somthing less than 200 gm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.