Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Mavic Crossride UB/Disc @ Competitve 99

Competitive cyclist has mavic crossride ub/disc wheelset on for 99.

A little heavy, lower end and cheap
    Bought two sets, one for the trainer and one for my daughters new build.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...&MODE=SPECIALS

GAME ON!
    heavy? that's as light or lighter than my king/819 wheelset which was like $600.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    heavy? that's as light or lighter than my king/819 wheelset which was like $600.
    I did say " a little heavy"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    They're actually $89 now! Just placed an order! THanks!

Kaishingo
    Seriously - talk about an impulse buy. I don't even think I need new wheels, but now I have a set coming!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I don't need any either, but disc/Mavic for $89.00 I had to buy a set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    And for those of you who purchased at 99.95 remember to call Comp cyclist and ask for your $10 credit for there price protection policy...

One Gear
    Thanks for posting. I bought them a week ago and they showed up last night. $89 +$19 for shipping. I half thought that there would only be one wheel in the box.

Good stuff!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Couldn't resist...$109 on my doorstep, great deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    They had the same set in black last week! Too bad it got sold out quick. The $95 XTR hydraulic brakes are gone too :-(

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Bit

Adventure Mapper
    How much does your king/819 wheelset weigh? I was about to pull the trigger on a craigslist deal on xt/819s for 200, but saw this and thought, "well, if I ride them for the rest of this season and don't trash them, I should be able to sell them used and get almost all my money back anyway." They aren't ust, but half the tires I run have tubes in them anyways.
    Had to buy a set just to try them out. Any concerns about the low spoke count, or are these pretty ok for extended/aggressive xc?

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick
    How much does your king/819 wheelset weigh?
    my set was around 2000g +/- but i love them and wouldn't trade them for the world.

The White Jeff W
    Damn. If I could get tham with 15mm front hub Id get a set for the GF's bike
    No moss...

Adventure Mapper
    Get them while you can. Got three sets today. Soon they will be sold out and I bet you will see lots of new crossride wheelsets on craigslist and ebay for 150+!

Master of Disaster
    Are these drilled for Presta or Schrader?

Ordered a set last night so I could upgrade my son's bike to 6-bolt hubs and give him my previous take-off BB5's. I'm a Clyde with plenty of crashes under my belt so this 24-spoke wheelset isn't intended for me personally. My son's OE wheels will go onto my vacation bike to upgrade those craptastic wheels when I next see the bike.

It's worth mentioning that if you use PayPal "Bill-Me-Later" option for the first time, you'll get a one-time $10 credit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Damn you guys.

Didn't really require another wheelset, but the price was too good. Just ordered two sets, delivered to my door (Vanc, BC) for just under $218.

cfx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall
    Damn you guys.

Didn't really require another wheelset, but the price was too good. Just ordered two sets, delivered to my door (Vanc, BC) for just under $218.

I know the feeling! Had to order some myself even tho I didn't need em! Hell of a deal!

C..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    WOO! Mine just arrived! Suhhhweeet!

Yes, it really is a SET!

GAME ON!
    do they actually weigh around 1940g?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't have a scale but according to Mavic the front is 900gr and the rear is 1040. They "feel" very light to me... but I'm a noob.

Mavic Crossride UB/Disk

GAME ON!
    yeah, i'll take mavic's weights as seriously as marzocchi's.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Pretty cool

Finally a righteous deal around here. Especially for me as I was assembling parts to replace a wheel that was stolen from my daughter. That stolen wheel was a Hope disc rear hub, Mavic 717 Disc and DT 14/15 spokes. This won't be as light but they'll look cool and will probably be OK on my daughter's bike for the price, which is not much more than a nice disc rim alone.

I had noticed the same rear wheel alone at the Nashbar for $80.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_515987_-1___
    Last edited by tl1; 03-01-2011 at 08:21 PM.

GAME ON!
    Damn you guys.

did you have to pay any duty or taxes?

Master of Disaster
    I got a shipping confirmation at 1:15AM showing expected delivery in Atlanta tomorrow from Little Rock - at 38.0 lbs. WTF? No way that's only one wheel for half the price of a complete wheelset but did they throw in the rest of the bike too?

Or 30+ lbs worth of rim strips and sealant? Or lead shielding to protect my privacy from UPS x-ray machines? Holy crap. If these wheels weight 15 lbs each, that explains the price and they're going back. No, wait...that's too damn heavy to ship back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nope, $108.95 total including shipping. Shipped from Little Rock, AR

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    I got a shipping confirmation at 1:15AM showing expected delivery in Atlanta tomorrow from Little Rock - at 38.0 lbs. WTF? No way that's only one wheel for half the price of a complete wheelset but did they throw in the rest of the bike too?

Or 30+ lbs worth of rim strips and sealant? Or lead shielding to protect my privacy from UPS x-ray machines? Holy crap. If these wheels weight 15 lbs each, that explains the price and they're going back. No, wait...that's too damn heavy to ship back!
    Yeah, it said mine weighed 38 lbs too but when it arrived yesterday it weighed maybe 5 with the box. I think they missed a decimal... 3.8lbs maybe? HA!

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing -still a few sets left (none black).

cfx
    mtbr member
    Got mine in last night. Shipping weight was supposedly 7.5 pounds for a single set. The wheelset was is in a two layer shipping carton and banded so that's probably where the shipping weight estimates are coming from.

Wheels were in perfect condition, came with skewers, rim strips and Mavic documentation. Can't ask for a better experience from Competitive Cyclist!

D..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    did you have to pay any duty or taxes?
    Don't know if I will get charged with taxes. Will know when the wheels are delivered or picked up at the post office. Sometimes I get charged taxes on bike gear out of the US other times not.

Will advise once they are in my hands.

GAME ON!
    Don't know if I will get charged with taxes. Will know when the wheels are delivered or picked up at the post office. Sometimes I get charged taxes on bike gear out of the US other times not.

Will advise once they are in my hands.
    ah, i thought you had received it already.

Kaishingo

Dimensional Weight - how much room the box takes up converted into a weight. If I ship a man-sized cardboard box empty, it might only weigh 5 lbs. But they'll charge me for the amount of space it just took up inside the truck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    +1 on the dimensional weight.
    Mine just landed up as well. Again, I don't have a scale, but these seem to be super light compared to the stock Alex rims on my bike.

Class Clown
    Last edited by dundundata; 03-03-2011 at 01:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    got one. thanks!

Is dang happy!
    In for set, cheaper than I can get for cost through the shop. Nice find!

Need to find some good fork deals now.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Presta Schrader

Are these drilled for Presta or Schrader?

They are drilled for Shraeder with Presta adapters in place.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Fresh off the scale

do they actually weigh around 1940g?
    Just registered 1920g on my scale

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Alright pulled the trigger on these to, now I can upgrade my old bike to discs cheaply. Thanks for posting!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That's a great deal but I'm not sure I could trust a 24 spoke count hub under my 240 lb body.
    Damnit its almost worth the risk!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks op. I put some slicks on them for my hardtail. When swapping from my old wheels (shimano type) to crosstrails with trail tires, I would have to adjust everything. The der. and rotor line up on these like the other mavics.

Master of Disaster
    And here we go already - somebody on Atlanta Craig's List looking to make a quick $30 profit:

Mavic Crossride Wheelset - $140
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/2248990958.html

Dollars to doughnuts this is a new wheelset from Competitive Cyclist being resold. Some dumbass is going to buy these and eventually his bragging will lead to the realization that he's been had.

Class Clown
    jumped on the bandwagon as well, you won't be seeing them on craigslist though

mtbr member
    Picked up a set also. I have hopes of building up a carbon hardtail ss one of these days...now I just need everything else!

mtbr member
    Did Mavic ever fix the issue with wobbling cassettes on their freehubs? I'd buy a set of these for my GFs bike but she's got an older Crossride rear wheel and cassettes, properly spaces and locked down, wobble on the freehub. Really poor tolerances but doesnt affect the shifting, just makes me not want to buy any hubs marked Mavic.

Class Clown
    the wobble is caused by the nylon bushing inside the freehub wearing down. proper maintenance should keep it going for awhile as dirt wears it down faster, but it can be replaced.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The Crossrides didn't do it for me, but CC also had Crosslines for a ridiculous price ($159). I needed a 12mm through/135 rear which isn't super-easy to find cheaply.

When I got them, CC sent centerlock versions rather than 6-bolt. Also the Mavic instructions are completely incomprehensible. I called CC and received excellent service figuring out how to convert the rear hub and also shipping me out a set of centerlock/6-bolt adapters. I offered to pay for upgraded shipping to get the parts faster for my new build and CC shipped them 2-day on their dime.

So, very positive experience for me. Yeah, they made an error, but they owned it and made me happy with their solution. Going to put them in my regular rotation for parts purchases after this experience.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    The Crossrides didn't do it for me, but CC also had Crosslines for a ridiculous price ($159). I needed a 12mm through/135 rear which isn't super-easy to find cheaply.

When I got them, CC sent centerlock versions rather than 6-bolt. Also the Mavic instructions are completely incomprehensible. I called CC and received excellent service figuring out how to convert the rear hub and also shipping me out a set of centerlock/6-bolt adapters. I offered to pay for upgraded shipping to get the parts faster for my new build and CC shipped them 2-day on their dime.

So, very positive experience for me. Yeah, they made an error, but they owned it and made me happy with their solution. Going to put them in my regular rotation for parts purchases after this experience.
    recently? i see that as the price for a single wheel, but the set is around $350

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I ordered them last week when I saw this thread. They're sold out now.

Master of Disaster
    I ordered them last week when I saw this thread. They're sold out now.
    Must be the Crosslines you're talking about being sold out. The original Crossrides for $89 are still available. Seems odd though - how could they have so many sets available that they can blow them out at this price for over a week and still not be sold out? Weird.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    do you guys think they are a better wheelset the a deore hub/mavic 117 wheelset?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Must be the Crosslines you're talking about being sold out. The original Crossrides for $89 are still available. Seems odd though - how could they have so many sets available that they can blow them out at this price for over a week and still not be sold out? Weird.
    Yes, the question directed to me was reference the Crosslines, which is what I answered.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    OK, so we can all agree that the price on these is fantastic, but what of the wheels themselves? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on these (if they were black, I already would have), and am hoping for some feedback from those of you who have already put them through their paces.

With only 24 spokes, are they strong enough for trail riding? I don't hit big jumps or 12-foot drops, but I do catch a little air from time to time and rocks (talus/scree fields) are a daily encounter.

Also, how big a tire will these rims handle? I don't see any ISO sizes/inner rim widths at BWW, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

To put things in perspective, I'm still on the Weinmann WDR Disc rims that came stock with my Raleigh hardtail. I'm sure they're heavy but they've survived three-plus seasons and thousands of miles of my "learning experiences."

Class Clown
    Mavic says they can handle 1.5 - 2.3.

mtbr member
    Very tempting to get these wheels and a yeti ARC frame for $400 to go with it....

Kaishingo
    Since these are the version that still allows for a rim brake (which is not the most desirable combo these days), my guess is that Mavic was way overstocked on them, and Competition Cyclist bought a boat load of them at pennies on the dollar. I manage a big online retailer, and we do the same thing all the time.

Regarding quality - I got my set last week (thanks to CC for quick shipping and excellent customer service when I had to redirect the shipment!) They are fine wheels and are going on the wife's bike. Are there better wheels out there? Of course. But watch Ebay for a while - wheels are one of those things that you will rarely ever see for under $100. And here we're talking a namebrand wheel set, that also happens to be brand new, and from a reputable manufacturer. So to answer the question everyone continues to ask - Is it a good deal? Hell yes. Is it for you? If you were originally in the market for a $900 Stans wheelset, then you're in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by wuzilla; 03-11-2011 at 11:04 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mklien
    do you guys think they are a better wheelset the a deore hub/mavic 117 wheelset?
    Infinitely better. Especially for $89. This is one of those no-brainer deals that doesn't come along very often.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Infinitely better. Especially for $89. This is one of those no-brainer deals that doesn't come along very often.

Thats what I thought too...they will get used, couldn't beat the price. Mine got here intact and perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ok i bought em. anybody want to buy a deore/117 for 65 bucks?

Is dang happy!

Wide enough for 2.5 IMO

Quote Originally Posted by dundundata
    Mavic says they can handle 1.5 - 2.3.
    Just got mine 870g front 1077g rear (without skewers)
    Not as narrow as my xc hoops, they seem like great wheels for general trail riding. XC for a heavy person and All Mountain for a light weight rider.
    Last edited by Mr. Doom; 03-13-2011 at 07:47 AM.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Man, I saw this deal the other day and couldn't believe that it was for a wheelset... Just jumped on it and bought a set, haha.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So I just got to moving over my cassette/tires to the new set.

After fully tightening the lockring, I noticed that there was still some play in the cassette. Looking at the manual seems to point at a spacer for Shimano cassettes.

Am I missing something or is this supposed to be bundled with the wheelset?

Adventure Mapper
    Yeah, I got a spacer with mine, just a small aluminum piece. Mounting my shimano xt cassette, I have no play with the spacer. Check your box. Apparently, the wheelset manual says to remove the spacer when using Mavic cassettes only. Never seen a Mavic cassette yet though.

cfx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    So I just got to moving over my cassette/tires to the new set.

After fully tightening the lockring, I noticed that there was still some play in the cassette. Looking at the manual seems to point at a spacer for Shimano cassettes.

Am I missing something or is this supposed to be bundled with the wheelset?

Mine came with the spacer. I'll have to take the rear off the bike and remove the cassette to get a pic, but yours should have came with the spacer as well.

C..

Class Clown
    yeah mine was on the freehub already, check around it might have fallen off

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Damn.

Silly me.Found it
    It HAD fallen off

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    so i can put 6 bolt discs on these babies right? is so two sets for me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hernluis
    so i can put 6 bolt discs on these babies right? is so two sets for me!
    yep 6 bolt rotor mounts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Is anyone going to post pics of their new wheels?

Master of Disaster
    I just put on a set of these to upgrade my son's 26er HT from V-Brakes:

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Here's a pic of mine...

They come with a little metal spacer... don't throw it away. Newb mistake #1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic Crossride UB/Disc @ Competitve 99-mavicwheels.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick
    Yeah, I got a spacer with mine, just a small aluminum piece. Mounting my shimano xt cassette, I have no play with the spacer. Check your box. Apparently, the wheelset manual says to remove the spacer when using Mavic cassettes only. Never seen a Mavic cassette yet though.
    Actually it says not to use the spacer for Campagnola (sp?) cassettes only. Shimano and SRAM use the spacer. I should know... I threw mine away not knowing and had to pay my LBS a $4 DA tax to get a new one. I'm just glad they had one!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by robale43
    Actually it says not to use the spacer for Campagnola (sp?) cassettes only. Shimano and SRAM use the spacer. I should know... I threw mine away not knowing and had to pay my LBS a $4 DA tax to get a new one. I'm just glad they had one!
    I'd emailed CC about it and they replied telling me that they would ship me one the next day. I managed to find it lying around though.

Class Clown
    Just waiting for some parts...

GAME ON!
    sweet pic of a totally different wheelset

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sorry, Sally. Did you bother to read the thread?

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a set today. Hate that they aren't black, but the price is too good to pass up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Dang I wish they had an option for the 15mm front that is on competitive cyclist's website.

GAME ON!
    Sorry, Sally. Did you bother to read the thread?
    yes, i did see that you mentioned crosslines. then i read the thread title again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Was away for a week, had to get UPS to hold delivery of my wheels. Will pick them up tomorrow. The bad part is the BS costs to get them to Canada. purchase and shipping from CC was great, duty $11.27, taxes, $22.15 I can live with. But the as$hats at UPS charge $44 for Customs handling on the two sets I bought. So the total is just over $77.

That said it, all in all it is still pretty cheap for two sets of XC wheels.

Couple of questions. What rim is used on the set if you were buying a Mavic rim. Is this the 719?

Also is the front wheel in any convertible from the QR to 20mm?

GAME ON!
    that's why i refuse to use UPS to have things shipped into canada. whatever they have to do at the border, canada post does for $8.

mtbr member
    I just got mine in today. They look great, just waiting on a bunch of other stuff now, lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    They also have a good deal on a slx hg80 cassette - $33. Saw this mentioned in another thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    that's why i refuse to use UPS to have things shipped into canada. whatever they have to do at the border, canada post does for $8.
    Yes, I already didn't like UPS, now I really hate them. They were supposed to hold the package for me to pick up, went down to there distribution centre and no package. Scan shows it was on the truck, driver says not there.

Total clusterf**k, especially given their rates. Had I been able to go USPS to Canada Post I would have been all over that.

I can't envision a realistic scenario where I will ever use UPS again. Perhaps the only way to get through to UPS is to hit up the retaillers and let them know how shitty it is to deal with them. Will get right on that.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder
    They also have a good deal on a slx hg80 cassette - $33. Saw this mentioned in another thread.

wish i saw this a day earlier paid about the same for a deore

GAME ON!
    Yes, I already didn't like UPS, now I really hate them. They were supposed to hold the package for me to pick up, went down to there distribution centre and no package. Scan shows it was on the truck, driver says not there.

Total clusterf**k, especially given their rates. Had I been able to go USPS to Canada Post I would have been all over that.

I can't envision a realistic scenario where I will ever use UPS again. Perhaps the only way to get through to UPS is to hit up the retaillers and let them know how shitty it is to deal with them. Will get right on that.
    they don't care. i've called them before after getting a $42 charge on a $67 item. the guy on the phone basically shrugged with me and really couldn't offer a decent explanation. oh well. still a good deal, i suppose.

mtbr member
    Got my tires/tubes & cassette swapped over (all in good shape, don't worry ) and took them for a quick spin around the yard. They feel... different. I was still riding the 32 spoke stock wheels... These are much better feeling, and they feel stiffer too, even with the old wheels properly tensioned.

Anyone else notice that they used the same length spokes for all of them and just left the extra dangling in the rim? No risk of touching the tube, but still... Must be why they're cheap.

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Easy Tubeless Setup

I had an amazingly easy and painless experience setting these up tubeless. Just ran Gorilla Tape inside the rim and used Specialized 2Bliss tires with homemade sealant. Aired up first try with a compressor and have stayed inflated with no issues.
    Dirtbag since '89

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anyone over 200lbs riding around on this wheelset for light XC action?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke
    Anyone over 200lbs riding around on this wheelset for light XC action?
    Yup. I'm not easy on my equipment either. Make sure you check the tension on the spokes, they don't seem to be very tight

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer9
    Yup. I'm not easy on my equipment either. Make sure you check the tension on the spokes, they don't seem to be very tight
    Ummm I might pull the trigger then and grab a set before they are all gone. Thanks for the heads up about the spoke tension.

Kaishingo

I manage a major retail mail order shop (motorsports industry). I think about 25% of my Canadian customers swear by UPS, the other 75% swear by USPS/Canada Post.

No real rhyme or reason to it - maybe it's a regional thing. We do make sure to ask which the Canadian customer would prefer because there is one truth to the matter - whichever they prefer, they prefer very passionately!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am still trying to decide if I should buy a set. I can't believe the deal is still going on.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzilla
    I manage a major retail mail order shop (motorsports industry). I think about 25% of my Canadian customers swear by UPS, the other 75% swear by USPS/Canada Post.

No real rhyme or reason to it - maybe it's a regional thing. We do make sure to ask which the Canadian customer would prefer because there is one truth to the matter - whichever they prefer, they prefer very passionately!
    it depends on the value of the item. the more expensive, the more ups rapes. funny that their "brokerage fee" changes depending on the value of the item. an $8000 pen needs the same signature at the border that a $20 broken tv needs.

Adventure Mapper
    Here's my set (I am using for training and hoping to get a nice racing wheelset soon) on the ol Titus Motolite which weighs in just over 28lbs:

bikexor
    Just ordered a set. I ride these wheels currently (in black w/o rim brake machining). Rode the poop out of them last season in western colo, broke one spoke all year. I needed to replace the freehub body (the cassette wobble cause) but the freehub is $60 by itself! A whole new set was a no-brainer.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

XC racer
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzilla

Not to hijack, but shippers definitely differ, even case by case. In my neighborhood, I know the UPS supvervisor and they will leave stuff on my back porch even when I'm not home. Fedex will NEVER leave stuff if I'm not there, I end up having to go their center to pick it up. USPS will leave a tag, but my post office is right down the street. I have had both UPS and Fedex add customs charges on overseas packages, but have also received some without any. Never had anything from overseas arrive by post with any extra charges.

mtbr member
    Got a pic after installing some more stuff the other night. They seem to ride nicely, and they've handled 1-2 foot drops easily, and I'm not light (225 with gear). Had the LBS check the tensions and they said they're great now.

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger on a set along with a pg970 cassette. Should be pretty nice for the wife's ride...unless I snatch them for mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6