mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Looking for wide MTB shoes, recommendations

I have worn out the lower-end Lakes (MX85) I currently wear. I am looking for a good price on a higher-quality SPD-style shoe with a widish footbed, like the Lakes.

Anyone have recommendations for a good shoe? Sidi Dominator, etc.? And where to get them?

I use these shoes for MTBing, road riding, commuting, etc. but mostly care about how the perform while MTBing.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Louis Garneau's "sp" have a wide footbed and are comfortable as well. I had a hard time trying to find a comfortable cycling shoe due to having a wide foot and these have fit the bill nicely. I have a mtb and a road pair.
    2013 SC Tallboy LTc
    2011 SC Tallboy C
    2010 Jackal
    2012 Heckler

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Thanks. I will look into that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Try some Northwave on. I was recommended them for my wide feet. The Drifter pair I got from Wiggle were great for width but only fair for my very high arch. Saying that due to my having tried a lot of shoes without success, I happily bought a second pair of Drifters when my landlords dog chewed my first pair. They have a range of prices and I think I paid around $120Au for the gortex version. Carnacs I believe also have a reputation for good width.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Thanks for these suggestions. I usually add an insert to get a higher arch, but width of the shoe is something I can't change, so I always look for a wide footbed.

mtbr member
    Specialized makes wide versions in their higher end models. I've had the Pro MTB in wide for 3 years now and very happy with them. Stiff, comfy and cheaper than SIDI in most cases. The SIDI reg were a bit narrow for me and their wide were just too wide. I know you're posting in the Best Deals forum so can't help with the price of Specialized, you'll have to find a sale from a local dealer. Otherwise, it's $275 but it's been worth it for me (although I had 25% off!).

The White Jeff W
    I was going to suggest Specialized as well. I have a wide forefoot and was surprised to find that the Spec regular width fit me pretty well. They replaced a pair of Shimano shoes that were very tight.
    No moss...