Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for a good deal on a DH/FR wheelset

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  salsamoto 
#1 ·
Working on my '06 Yeti AS-X build. I picked up a 2007 Marzocchi 66 ETA RC2 front fork and a set of Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes. Now I need to get a good set of wheels for the bike. What would you guys recommend for a good wheelset that would fit the DH/FR style of riding?

Thanks !

#5 ·
Second the Locos

Too Rass Goat said:
Forte Locos on sale at performance $170. That's $80 less than the best deal I can find on Azonics.
I've never met anyone who said they sucked and most said they lasted for multiple seasons without problems. The Locos are essentially the same as the Outlaws (not as many options as the Outlaws) and for $170 it's a steal. They're kind of heavy (from my perspective 'cause I'm not a DH/FR kind of rider) and they're a little tough to get tires on and off. If you have the proper technique it can happen but forget using tire levers to help, it's all about centering the bead and pulling on them --really hard!

The Loco front hub is convertible from QR to 20mm, which is why I bought a set.

#8 ·
VTSession said:
I found its better to build my own wheelset. I built a set of wheels with WTB Laserdisc FR rims and DMR revolver hubs for less than $200.00. There's a certain satisfaction with building you're own wheels.
how much were those hubs? are they sealed bearing?

G
#9 ·
Transition Revolution 32 & 36

TBC Revolution 32 or 36 (32mm & 36mm respectively) with 135 rears or 150 rears (bolt through or QR), 110 through axle front: $289 + shipping. Pretty burly wheelset at a great price (for FR/DH). They also come in white, red, or black rims, currently with red or black hubs (prettu soon: gold, green, blue hubs as well). :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Dr Phil mmkay said:
TBC Revolution 32 or 36 (32mm & 36mm respectively) with 135 rears or 150 rears (bolt through or QR), 110 through axle front: $289 + shipping. Pretty burly wheelset at a great price (for FR/DH). They also come in white, red, or black rims, currently with red or black hubs (prettu soon: gold, green, blue hubs as well). :thumbsup:
Im with him on those wheels.

I saw the red ones at a shop near me and they were really burly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.