2006 Yeti AS-X

Looking for a good deal on a DH/FR wheelset

Working on my '06 Yeti AS-X build. I picked up a 2007 Marzocchi 66 ETA RC2 front fork and a set of Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes. Now I need to get a good set of wheels for the bike. What would you guys recommend for a good wheelset that would fit the DH/FR style of riding?

Thanks !

Chillin the Most
    Azonic Outlaws are your best band for the buck.

Nice no rass
    Forte Locos on sale at performance $170. That's $80 less than the best deal I can find on Azonics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I found its better to build my own wheelset. I built a set of wheels with WTB Laserdisc FR rims and DMR revolver hubs for less than $200.00. There's a certain satisfaction with building you're own wheels.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Second the Locos

Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    Forte Locos on sale at performance $170. That's $80 less than the best deal I can find on Azonics.
    I've never met anyone who said they sucked and most said they lasted for multiple seasons without problems. The Locos are essentially the same as the Outlaws (not as many options as the Outlaws) and for $170 it's a steal. They're kind of heavy (from my perspective 'cause I'm not a DH/FR kind of rider) and they're a little tough to get tires on and off. If you have the proper technique it can happen but forget using tire levers to help, it's all about centering the bead and pulling on them --really hard!

The Loco front hub is convertible from QR to 20mm, which is why I bought a set.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Nice no rass
    I carry the big steel Park levers for just such cases. Not a problem. My Sun SOS are similar, depending on the tire, they can be a real beyotch. The color choices on Outlaws are cool, but for an $80+ savings, I'm going Loco.

mtbr member
    i second the azonic outlaws
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    I found its better to build my own wheelset. I built a set of wheels with WTB Laserdisc FR rims and DMR revolver hubs for less than $200.00. There's a certain satisfaction with building you're own wheels.
    how much were those hubs? are they sealed bearing?
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Dr Phil mmkay

Transition Revolution 32 & 36

TBC Revolution 32 or 36 (32mm & 36mm respectively) with 135 rears or 150 rears (bolt through or QR), 110 through axle front: $289 + shipping. Pretty burly wheelset at a great price (for FR/DH). They also come in white, red, or black rims, currently with red or black hubs (prettu soon: gold, green, blue hubs as well).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil mmkay
    TBC Revolution 32 or 36 (32mm & 36mm respectively) with 135 rears or 150 rears (bolt through or QR), 110 through axle front: $289 + shipping. Pretty burly wheelset at a great price (for FR/DH). They also come in white, red, or black rims, currently with red or black hubs (prettu soon: gold, green, blue hubs as well).

Im with him on those wheels.

I saw the red ones at a shop near me and they were really burly.
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido