Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Looking for a good deal on an acceptable torque wrench

I'd like to get a torque wrench, and I'm not really knowledgeable enough to know where the best place to get a decent torque wrench is. Does anyone have a good recommendation for one that doesn't break the bank?

lamer

Re: Looking for a good deal on an acceptable torque wrench

I picked up a Craftsman micro clicker torque wrench on sale for $30something a little while ago. It might be on sale again right now. Has inch-lbs and Newton-meters, which is what you'll need for most bike stuff, though you won't be able to use it for heavy duty stuff. For example, I think I remember having to pull out my large Pittsburgh ft-lbs torque wrench to do my FSA crank bolt. Can't attest to the Craftsman's accuracy, but I haven't snapped any bolts or had anything fall off yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    I picked up a Craftsman micro clicker torque wrench on sale for $30something a little while ago. It might be on sale again right now. Has inch-lbs and Newton-meters. Can't attest to its accuracy, but I haven't snapped any bolts or had anything fall off yet.
    Where'd you get it, and what's the minimum nm setting?

lamer

Sears. 25 in-lbs min, which is like 2.8 Nm. I'll have to check the actually markings tomorrow

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Harbor Freight. 10 bucks when there's a coupon. It's 1/4" drive for the one that has range for bikes so you'll need to buy an adapter or shell out a lot for bits.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    Harbor Freight. 10 bucks when there's a coupon. It's 1/4" drive for the one that has range for bikes so you'll need to buy an adapter or shell out a lot for bits.
    Been using that for awhile now although most bolts I do by feel, works good. Also have a husky I think 3/8 works fine for cassette. You can get the little adapter pieces to go from 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2, etc. for peanuts.

mtbr member
    Got the Craftsman as well from Sears. Perfect for bike components. Got it on sale for $50 or so...regularly $70 or something.

mtbr member

the craftsman is $39 at sears or craftsman website as well, think I will just pick one as well.

did anyone also get a good "bike" set to go with it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Haha, glad to see I wasn't the only one to score a $39 torque wrench from sears. I grabbed a metric allen socket set as well for $10.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    For how infrequently I use one, I went with one of the $20 jobs from Harbor Freight. They have 1/4" drive as well as 3/8" drive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    harbor freight one works fine, pick up the security bit set too (contains hex bits +
    Complete Tool Kit?

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Craftsman MicroClick too..
    at $39 it's a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just tried the craftsman micro torque it just snapped the bolt on my East on stem . Stem says 45 in pounds so I started at 25 in lbs and it never clicked it any thing snapped it of. So I try it on a lug nut on boat trailer and it still didn't click so now I have to buy a new stem on a month old bike. I tried a harbor freight and it was junk as well so I am not sure it is possible to get a good torque wrench at this point.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    May 2010

Well for 45 inch pounds you would be using a 1/4" torque wrench not a 3/8"

mtbr member
    May 2010

As I have never seen a 3/8" torque wrench have a setting for 4.5ft. Lb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    you may not get an audible click on such low torque...you may just have to feel the internal click of the wrench...once you get the bolt somewhat tight, start tightening at 1/8 turns and then release, you should feel it then

mtbr member
    May 2010

You wouldn't be able to set the torque wrench properly as soon as you got past lightly threading the bolt in you would have been at that torque spec immedietly and it would be easy to go by it because at that setting the internal spring doesn't have enough pressure to make a noticeable click noise. It would be an extremely faint noise if heard at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddin22 View Post
    You wouldn't be able to set the torque wrench properly as soon as you got past lightly threading the bolt in you would have been at that torque spec immedietly and it would be easy to go by it because at that setting the internal spring doesn't have enough pressure to make a noticeable click noise. It would be an extremely faint noise if heard at all.
    I could not feel any let off at all i tried it on other items besides my bike and never heard a click or felt a let off. I also have a 1/2 in Craftsman torque wrench i use on bigger equipment and it clicks and also you can feel it let off. I never felt a difference in feel or a click even tried it on several odd parts around . Am i doing something wrong. I have lots of experience with my bigger torque wrench. Or is it defective? This is a 3/8 but starts out at 25 in lbs

mtbr member
    May 2010

Could be defective. Have you Tryed torque ing something at a higher torque spec. Let's say 35lbs. Put a socket on your torque wrench set it to 40lbs and go put it on your lug nut on your car and see if it clicks. Average car wheels are torqued to 80-100ftlbs

mtbr member
    May 2010

But if you put it on your lug but and it clicks decrease the value on the wrench and try again. I suspect that it is such a low torque spec you won't get a good feel from the torque wrench because of the little force it takes to hit that spec.

mtbr member
    May 2010

It's the lowest setting so it won't click or have the same feel as if you were torque ing something to a higher spec with the 3/8"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    'Cheap', 'click-type', and 'accurate' are not three things that tend to go together. Stick with a beam/deflection torque wrench if you are on a budget.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    'Cheap', 'click-type', and 'accurate' are not three things that tend to go together. Stick with a beam/deflection torque wrench if you are on a budget.
    Good call. Also, no calibration required, other than making sure that at rest it points to zero.

The park beam units are inexpensive, and it's cool to support cycling focused companies when the price is comparable to the big boys.

-D

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    Just tried the craftsman micro torque it just snapped the bolt on my East on stem . Stem says 45 in pounds so I started at 25 in lbs and it never clicked it any thing snapped it of. So I try it on a lug nut on boat trailer and it still didn't click so now I have to buy a new stem on a month old bike. I tried a harbor freight and it was junk as well so I am not sure it is possible to get a good torque wrench at this point.

OK I messed up I tried the craftsman again . Some one here mentioned that my bolts were probable to tight to begin with and to hand tighten the set the torque wrench to the 45 inch lbs and do 1/8 turns and it worked. So feeling a little silly. Oh well you live and you learn. Any way the 3/8 micro torque craftsman seems to be working fine . Thanks for all the input.

2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    I picked up Harbor Freight 1/4" (for my carbon seat post specifically) and 3/8" (for my FSA SL-K cranks) torque wrench. I can see how people can easily misuse the torque wrench and end up with no indication of when they hit their desired Nm. That said, both were very easy to use after reading the instructions and testing them on gear.

They are both sitting in my bike tool bag set, the 1/4" at 5 Nm, and the 3/8" at 45 Nm until the next time I need them.

At $21.99 each, I can't complain and I'm glad I picked them up. Thank you, everyone, for the helpful comments!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast