mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Looking for girls 24" mountain bike

I do not want a walmart 24" bike for my eight year old. They weigh as much as a Harley Sportster. Craigslist looks OK, you guys have any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Craigslist had some great deals when I went looking for a bike for a 9 year old. I paid 50 bucks for a schwinn. But I seen 300 dollar bikes for half and they looked new.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Me too.

REI used to carry Scott Contessa Jr (20" and 24"). These were the lightest I could find and the fork was tuned for a kid (easy to compress). Every other bike I found weighed a million pounds and the suspension forks were a joke. But REI does not carry them anymore.

I monitor Craigslist but no luck yet.

These also look interesting:

Mx 24 Xc — Orbea

But I don't know if you can get them in the US.

Sorry - I got no helpful ideas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    I do not want a walmart 24" bike for my eight year old. They weigh as much as a Harley Sportster. Craigslist looks OK, you guys have any other suggestions?
    have you had a look on all those big online stores, like jenson, CRC, CC, nashbar, performance... ?!

mtbr member
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    JAMIS BICYCLES - YOUTH BIKES
    Kids' collection - Trek Bicycle
    MARIN BIKES 2011 | Kids | Alloy HT-Kids
    REI carries some Aluminum 24" kids bikes with a "suspension" fork from Diamondback and Novara.

Just about every major brand makes a 24" HT for kids now. Head down to a local shop that sells the brand you are most interested in or troll CL for them. They go quick on CL from what I can tell. This list should at least give you some to search for though. There are some on ebay as well but watch shipping costs.

Expect $300-400 new but a buddy found a girls 2 year old 24" hotrock in decent condition for $50 off of CL.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you for the list. I have seen the Trek but no others. I do not want to spend 400 unless she enjoys it. I have a 16" bike that she never uses but it is garbage. Going to check out CL.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm looking for the same think but in a boys bike. I'm coming up empty handed unless I want to spend $300+

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Try GT. I picked up a new 2012 Laguna 20" for under $250. The LBS was able to get last years bike for a decent price. They may have some 24" ones left. Your LBS should be able to check GT's stock online. The 20" weighs in somewhere between 23 and 24 pounds.

Laguna 24 - Girls - Kids - Bikes - 2013

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just bought my 8 year old son a haro 24 fl or something like that and it is the lightest bike I have seen for a kid. It was $325. It is a very solid bike and definitely on par with the specialized versions for less. I know they have pink version for girls. Google it. I bet It weighs mid to low 20s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk