Sweat is just fat crying.

Looking for deals on WTB MutanoRaptors

Just picked up a set of 2.4s at Performance for $20 each, and really like the way they handle.

Any deals on them out there? Are they being discontinued?

Thanks,

fp
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

Devil Mtn
    I highly doubt they are being discontinued. Performance seems to always have them. Unfortunately they don't carry the 2.24 which is actually a larger volume tire and has a thicker sidewall than the 2.4 ... not sure where WTB came up with their numbering scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by reklar
    I highly doubt they are being discontinued. Performance seems to always have them. Unfortunately they don't carry the 2.24 which is actually a larger volume tire and has a thicker sidewall than the 2.4 ... not sure where WTB came up with their numbering scheme.
    Thanks for the response. It made me wonder if they were being closed out because my Performance had one last pair for so cheap, and there aren't any on the website.

Man, other sites have them for close to $50! (Cambria, Jenson).

mtbr member
    $39 at Tree Fort

www.treefortbikes.com
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Performance sells special versions of some tires that have a different spec, usually so they are less expensive. I have seen wire bead versions of tires at Performance that otherwise did not officially exist.

I can't remember what it was about those 2.4 Mutanos and Peformance's site doesn't show them anymore, but I thought I remembered some difference that made them heavier. The other possibility here is that Performance had bought a lot of them and got some really good bulk pricing

adult onset ADHD
    Quote Originally Posted by reklar
    Unfortunately they don't carry the 2.24 which is actually a larger volume tire and has a thicker sidewall than the 2.4 ... not sure where WTB came up with their numbering scheme.
    I own both the 2.14 and the 2.4, the 2.4 is really a much larger tire. The 2.14 yes does have a thicker sidewall and is better at higher pressures. But the 2.4 is better on dry trails with lower pressures and is lighter.
    The 2.14 is almost more like an Urban tire in my opinion.

I needed to edit the above. I own the 2.14 (49/52) and the 2.4 (DNA 55/55) I can't speak about the 2.24s
    Last edited by Nor'Easter; 08-22-2009 at 08:00 AM.
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor'Easter
    I own both the 2.14 and the 2.4, the 2.4 is really a much larger tire. The 2.14 yes does have a thicker sidewall and is better at higher pressures. But the 2.4 is better on dry trails with lower pressures and is lighter.
    The 2.14 is almost more like an Urban tire in my opinion.

I needed to edit the above. I own the 2.14 (49/52) and the 2.4 (DNA 55/55) I can't speak about the 2.24s
    2.14 ... yeah never seen that one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Performance sells special versions of some tires that have a different spec, usually so they are less expensive. I have seen wire bead versions of tires at Performance that otherwise did not officially exist.

I can't remember what it was about those 2.4 Mutanos and Peformance's site doesn't show them anymore, but I thought I remembered some difference that made them heavier. The other possibility here is that Performance had bought a lot of them and got some really good bulk pricing

That's right I saw that as well it was a wire bead version and it was heavier like $19.
    I have used the lighter 2.4 's and very much liked them....

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That cheap Performance tire is heavier than the normal 2.4 Race Mutanoraptor. My buddy bought a bunch thinking they were a great price, but as I recall they were about 100g heavier. I've been finding the lighter (normal) Mutanoraptors for about $25 each at PricePoint every once in a while (but they are $40 now).

Sign Killa
    Wow, it's interesting to see someone that really likes these tires. I ran one on the front and it scared the crap out of me. Aside from some crappy IRC tire, the Mutano washed out easier than any other tire I've owned if the trail was even slightly sandy. They were decent on hardpack and cruising around on the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wu-wei
    Wow, it's interesting to see someone that really likes these tires. I ran one on the front and it scared the crap out of me. Aside from some crappy IRC tire, the Mutano washed out easier than any other tire I've owned if the trail was even slightly sandy. They were decent on hardpack and cruising around on the road.
    There are many many parts of the world that don't have any sandy soil at all. Every area's dirt is different. This tire was highly recommended by a bunch of riders in my local area (i never did try it for myself before buying a 29er though). That just how it works

adult onset ADHD
    Quote Originally Posted by wu-wei
    I agree, for trail riding the 2.4s work well on dry hardpack with lower (28lb) pressure. the tires are fine on concrete. They do wash out on the front on the loose stuff
    I am running Specialized Enduro 2.2 now for the trails.
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have the 2.4s in back. Smooth rolling and plenty o' traction is all conditions. Of course, my conditions are dry/dusty, rocky, hardpack, rarely mud.

In front they're a different story. It's that center continuous bead that wants to catch in straight cracks in rocks or in control joints on concrete. If you're going just slightly in a different direction the bead will settle in the crack/joint and toss you, like it did me twice till I realized I wasn't imagining things. I love them in back.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Super Secret Mutano Raptor Setup Trick: Run the tire backwards on the rear.

It rolls well on hardpack (assuming it is because of the center row of knobs)
    It floats well on sand (assuming because of big volume)
    It has good traction on loose terrain (assuming because the tread is now acting like a paddle tire instead of a tractor tire (tractor tires are designed to cut down thru soft terrain to harder terrain, you don't want that on a mtb tire (maybe you do in the mud, not sure))).

Anyways I like the tire a whole lot better when run backwards on the rear. That goes for both the 2.24 and the 2.4.

I did not like this tire on the front at all.

They wear out relatively fast.

They used to be relatively cheap (2 for $45 at Pricepoint). Not anymore.

Folding Bead Versions:
    As stated before, the 2.24s are much tougher than the 2.4s, and have bigger side knobs and smaller center knobs. The 2.24s don't seem to roll as well as the 2.4s, but that could be all in my head.

Nashbar had a 2.4 wire bead version for $13 a while back: they are ~1300grams and built like a brick sh1thouse. Mistakenly bought a couple. Much less traction compared to the folding model (especially on off camber rocks), but surprisingly they actually roll slightly better. Avoid if possible.
    -MitchB

Quote Originally Posted by mb300
    Super Secret Mutano Raptor Setup Trick: Run the tire backwards on the rear.

It rolls well on hardpack (assuming it is because of the center row of knobs)
    It floats well on sand (assuming because of big volume)
    It has good traction on loose terrain (assuming because the tread is now acting like a paddle tire instead of a tractor tire (tractor tires are designed to cut down thru soft terrain to harder terrain, you don't want that on a mtb tire (maybe you do in the mud, not sure))).

Anyways I like the tire a whole lot better when run backwards on the rear. That goes for both the 2.24 and the 2.4.

I did not like this tire on the front at all.

They wear out relatively fast.

They used to be relatively cheap (2 for $45 at Pricepoint). Not anymore.

Folding Bead Versions:
    As stated before, the 2.24s are much tougher than the 2.4s, and have bigger side knobs and smaller center knobs. The 2.24s don't seem to roll as well as the 2.4s, but that could be all in my head.

Nashbar had a 2.4 wire bead version for $13 a while back: they are ~1300grams and built like a brick sh1thouse. Mistakenly bought a couple. Much less traction compared to the folding model (especially on off camber rocks), but surprisingly they actually roll slightly better. Avoid if possible.
    Wow, thanks for all the info. I'll have to try running the tire backwards, altho I gotta say that I couldn't believe how well lI was hooking up with the tires running the same direction f & r. It seemed like the bike did everything I asked it to, without losing a bit of traction. Everything I pointed it at, it did without a second thought.

It was just one of thoase rides where I couldn't do anything wrong, so I'm giving the tires the credit.