Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sweat is just fat crying.

Looking for the cheapest blades for Gillette Mach 3 Turbo.

Locals stores have them 4 for $10. Too much. Anyplace online to gettum?

Yes, it's mtb-related.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I gave up using multiple bladed razors for a vintage, single bladed safety razor a long time ago.

I tried one of those Quattro blades (the 4th blade starts your car on cold mornings) and think it's the worst razor ever made.

What on earth would you need Mach 3 Turbo blades for anyways ?
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    I'm with you on the safety razor, works great.

it was also a lesson to me on how the world really works.

bb

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Locals stores have them 4 for $10. Too much. Anyplace online to gettum?

Yes, it's mtb-related.

fp

shiit dog, here you go!

Mach Turbo, Biatch!

i'm with you on the mach 3 turbo, works great.

every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo_x
    I'm with you on the safety razor, works great.

bb
    Single bladed razors and single speed bikes... there's a theme there methinks.

Apparently, my old Gillete adjustable safety razor is the preferred choice for drag queens (as told to me by a drag queen) and I like it because it's not another disposable item in an all too disposable world.

I'm hunting for a blade sharpener so I can also extend the life of the blades.

I still want to know what a Mach 3 has to do with biking.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
    Single bladed razors and single speed bikes... there's a theme there methinks.

Apparently, my old Gillete adjustable safety razor is the preferred choice for drag queens (as told to me by a drag queen) and I like it because it's not another disposable item in an all too disposable world.

I'm hunting for a blade sharpener so I can also extend the life of the blades.

I still want to know what a Mach 3 has to do with biking.

i still want to know what Gillette safety razors have to do with Mach 3.

i'm with you, i'm an obsessive recycler, but i don't think loose safety razors and my clumsy fumbling and rushed mornings would mix well. i'll look elsewhere to tread lighter on this earth.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Gillette safety razors have nothing to do with Mach 3 razors except to point out that I have no idea where to get deals on Mach 3 blades and make a commentary on how simpler is better and why I don't like disposable commodities.

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Gillette safety razors have nothing to do with Mach 3 razors except to point out that I have no idea where to get deals on Mach 3 blades and make a commentary on how simpler is better and why I don't like disposable commodities.

why does it have to be about you, what YOU like what you DONT' like. freaking self absorbed self righteous freak like yourself needs to keep her eye on the ball. the dude was asking where to get gilette blades, not if he should switch to safety blades like your fruity self.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I still want to know what a Mach 3 razor has to do with mountain biking and guess I was rambling (as I am wont to do) to fill in the empty spaces as we await an answer.

Apparently, I have failed to amuse a few folks.

mtbr member

just my opinion...

the not throwing as many things away part is good, I like that, but the interesting part to me is that it turns out the safety razor is actually easier and works better. it's not really like the single speed at all, that would be more like a straight razor. that's fine too, if you're into it, but it's too much work for me (like the single speed ;-)

everyone know the old business saying about razors and blades, well that's what it's all about. there was never anything wrong with the safety razor, it's just that the razor companies make all their money from blades, like printer companies make their money from cartridges. the problem is anyone can make a safety razor blade so they had to start coming up with different sytems to make sure you can only buy their blades. that's why there's so many different incompatibile blades and razors and they're changing them all the time.

I had a whole drawer full of razors and blades that didn't work together, or work well, until I read an article in the new york times about shaving and how many people were recommending the safety razors. I tried it for the heck of it and couldn't believe how well it worked.

I got the razor, brush, and old fashioned cake shaving cream, and I've been using them for over a year and haven't cut myself once. I also have much less irritation and a better shave.

and by the way, I'll discuss whatever I want, unless a moderator says it's not allowed ;-)
    the only connection I can see to biking is if someone wants to shave their legs ;-)

bb

Dat mah bike, punk!

and by the way, I'll discuss whatever I want, unless a moderator says it's not allowed ;-)
    the only connection I can see to biking is if someone wants to shave their legs ;-)

bb

thank you.

bb
    Bingo.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i guess you can't be surprised...why don't you get some Revlon Nair and really get that leg and arm hair off
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'm actually surprised that I didn't think that someone would be looking to shave their legs and yes... Nair would probably do a better job and those legs would stay smoother longer.

I was thinking there was some bizarre mechanical purpose for the razors and that must stem from spending my days nights in a couple of shops where I toss around large chunks of steel and turn wrenches on bikes.

I'm also surprised that I was called a self righteous, self centered fruit / freak and didn't tear someone a new one.

Nah.

I'm actually surprised that I didn't think that someone would be looking to shave their legs and yes... Nair would probably do a better job and those legs would stay smoother longer.
    Nair doesn't work very well, and it stinks.

thats right living legend
    If you dry your blades with a hair dryer after every shave they'll stay 10 times sharper 10 times longer.

And I'd call you a fruit just for reading the NY Times.... And I bet ya coudn't tear me a new one.
    Last edited by blackagness; 01-07-2007 at 09:38 PM.

mtbr member

Cryogenically tempered blades

I know you guys are going to think I am nuts or pulling your leg, but the cryogenically tempered blades last FOREVER; sometimes I can get 4 to 6 weeks per blade. I have used them for years and love them. Bigtime money saver. Buy the small pack and see for yourself (and no I don't get a kickback for the sale of these blades).

4-pack:
    http://www.greatrazors.com/index.asp...WPROD&ProdID=1

Testimonials:
    http://www.greatrazors.com/index.asp...ATS&Category=7

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyR in San Antonio
    I know you guys are going to think I am nuts or pulling your leg, but the cryogenically tempered blades last FOREVER; sometimes I can get 4 to 6 weeks per blade. I have used them for years and love them. Bigtime money saver. Buy the small pack and see for yourself (and no I don't get a kickback for the sale of these blades).

4-pack:
    http://www.greatrazors.com/index.asp...WPROD&ProdID=1

Testimonials:
    http://www.greatrazors.com/index.asp...ATS&Category=7
    From the testimonial page: "The typical Mach 3 blade lasts for 4-5 shaves."

I thought I was going nuts! I thought "they have to last longer than this."

Hmmmm. Might give this a try, thanks.

fp

mtbr member
    def try ebay for these blades. much, MUCH cheaper than stores.

mtbr member
    WARNING! I have purchased Mach 3 blades twice off of ebay. The first set was perfect and worked great. Once I ran out, I went back to ebay. The second set have defects in all the blades. The first blade of the three (blade that cuts first) is at a different angle than the other two. This makes the blade feel old and used and they don't seem to last as long.

over 50 years of cycling

stropping

Of course its biking related. I am sooooo much more aero when I have a really close shave.

To keep pricey blades alive longer and not have to determine when they are worn out by loss of blood (I seem to nick easily), in addition to drying them every time, try stropping the blades.

Yah, just like in the olde movies, except updated for modern razors. Use a piece of smooth leather, like a small chunk of chamois from car use or your outdated shorts, and stretch it over something. (I wrap it around a small chunk of wood.) then "reverse shaving action" a few strokes before every shave. Play around with how much pressure and how many strokes. (yah, here come the comments on THAT)

You would be amazed at how long blades last when doing this, and when they do finally wear out, you just notice you are not getting as close a shave instead of deciding the blade is deteroriated enough to require a transfusion.

And you don't want to know how sharp my trail knife is. Probably could shave with that in a pinch.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

Bike Matron
    Jul 2004

Laser?

Funny thread, this. One of my secret pet peeves is the utterly obnoxious, outrageous price of razor blades. And of course the thread is bike related; lots of guy cyclists shave their legs.

Anyway, I started to wonder if it isn't more cost effective to do laser hair removal and just be done with it.

mtbr member
    I'm personally fond of just using a good-old stainless steel knife. You def get more burn after but a good lotion takes care of that!

I'm just joking. My dad is a single-blade-disposable-bic man. But I can't do that, I'm all for the multi-blade. I have a turbo, but use regular Mach 3 heads. Its still pricy, but I don't shave enough to care!

Which reminds me... I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Offtime3123
    I'm personally fond of just using a good-old stainless steel knife. You def get more burn after but a good lotion takes care of that!

I'm just joking. My dad is a single-blade-disposable-bic man. But I can't do that, I'm all for the multi-blade. I have a turbo, but use regular Mach 3 heads. Its still pricy, but I don't shave enough to care!

Which reminds me... I need to.
    I got my frozen blades in the mail, and will be noting how long they last.

Cracks me up- I went from looking for the cheapest, to paying even more!

fp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Trail
    Of course its biking related. I am sooooo much more aero when I have a really close shave.

To keep pricey blades alive longer and not have to determine when they are worn out by loss of blood (I seem to nick easily), in addition to drying them every time, try stropping the blades.

Yah, just like in the olde movies, except updated for modern razors. Use a piece of smooth leather, like a small chunk of chamois from car use or your outdated shorts, and stretch it over something. (I wrap it around a small chunk of wood.) then "reverse shaving action" a few strokes before every shave. Play around with how much pressure and how many strokes. (yah, here come the comments on THAT)

You would be amazed at how long blades last when doing this, and when they do finally wear out, you just notice you are not getting as close a shave instead of deciding the blade is deteroriated enough to require a transfusion.

And you don't want to know how sharp my trail knife is. Probably could shave with that in a pinch.
    Wait.... are you saying you can stropping disposable "modern" blades can make a difference? An old heavy thick leather belt will work as well for stropping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast