mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Looking for any discount I can find on a new Roval wheelset - Control Carbon 29er

So this is a new model and all but anyone know of a Specialized dealer (Or whoever can get them) that will offer any discount on a new Specialized wheelset ? I know they probably keep their dealers on a pretty tight leash but thought I'd at least try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You are at the mercy of your LBS. You can shop around dif. dealers and see which one will give you the best deal, or just go to the one that you normally go to that you have a relationship with.

Another thing that you can do is ask for shop credit. e.g. pay full msrp and ask for shop credit. The small stuff in a shop is marked up a lot more than the big ticket items and although you get say $100 in shop credit, they are only out maybe $40 or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks, that's about what I thought.

Why can't Specialized parts be like any other mfr's parts ? Not tons of options out there for affordable carbon wheels though. Seems like I'll need to troll eBay for a pair. At $1200 it's tempting to buy new but that's still serious dough. PM me anyone if you know a rogue dealer !

Trail Ninja
    If you got $1200, look again: Haven Carbon 1k for a 26" set and 1.3k for the 29er set on sale.

Mountain Bike Wheels Sale

Haven Carbon wheels have the toughest carbon rims for their weight. If you want a smoother ride with your choice in top end hubs and top of the line spokes, you'd have to shell out more for Enve. Roval wheels aren't in the same league.

If I didn't already own carbon wheels (I own a set of 29er Haven Carbons and Enves), this would've been the sale I jumped on.

mtbr member

Looking for any discount I can find on a new Roval wheelset - Control Carbon 29

Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    If you got $1200, look again: Haven Carbon

Haven Carbon wheels have the toughest carbon rims for their weight. If you want a smoother ride with your choice in top end hubs and top of the line spokes, you'd have to shell out more for Enve. Roval wheels aren't in the same league.
    I agree. I have haven carbons and they are bombproof. Also offer a damn good warranty and they no longer have that hub issue. Colorado cyclist also have the best deal for them. I bought a tallboy and it was a $500 upgrade from Colorado cyclist. And the guys at my lbs specialized dealer said if they were the same price as rovals they would go haven carbons

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    So I had a pair of Haven Aluminum last year. I had no problems with them but sold them because the local mechanic said they'd need regular bearing replacement. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to maintenance. I know they fixed some of the issues but my take was they didn't really eliminate them. When I spoke to Easton, they didn't admit to there being a problem. I know that component problems get blown out of proportion on reviews but it did seem like their design was certainly prone at the very least to premature wear vs other hubs. I think the Rovals are 1 or 2mm wider as well (2 inside 1 outside) so it seems like they still have a slight edge. I'm not saying Havens are crap but at the same price on sale, the Roval's seem worth a look.

mtbr member

I Believe the haven carbons have ceramic cartridge bearings tgey roll forever. I've got over 3k miles on my carbons from this season and did 1 overhaul which turned out to just be a cleaning. Only reason I did it is I do that with all my wheels every season. Never had any issues with the wheels. I am sold on carbon. Only complaint I have is they are a proprietary rim so you have to stick with the straight laced Easton hub. It's not a bad hub but sucks you can't lace any other hubs. My next set if I ever could afford it would be to use enve rims they are pricey but you can lace them up with any hub.

mtbr member
    Can the rims be purchased separately anywhere?
    I have a set of DT 240 hubs that are looking for some carbon rims to mate with.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    If you got $1200, look again: Haven Carbon 1k for a 26" set and 1.3k for the 29er set on sale.

If I didn't already own carbon wheels (I own a set of 29er Haven Carbons and Enves), this would've been the sale I jumped on.

Trail Ninja
    It was a problem with the rear hub's preload adjustment needing checking and adjustment, to ensure no play/slop that could kill the bearings in short time. I'm forced to do the same for my Chris King hubs front and rear. I used to do so with Shimano hubs. DT hubs have the QR clamping force and determine preload, and people consider that primitive, but it works. Even Shimano's cup and cone offers pre-load. I think Haven's rival Shimano for fastest rolling speed, but that's subjective, as I don't consider my senses well tuned to judge such and the sensation of faster rolling could be due to other factors I'm not considering.

Easton's also a cool enough company to offer a FREE upgrade kit for the rear hub to address that problem, which includes new bearings and tools to remove and install them properly. The replacement parts for their hubs are very affordable, especially compared to Chris King. I think it's about $30-35 to convert the front from QR to 15QR. Not sure about the rear, but I recall being quoted something around that.

mtbr member

Yeah just got wind of the spacer kit looked at wheels and appearently have have the first model year of havens. I guess I'm one of the few customers didnt have a issue. Anyways I bought them a year ago tomorrow in going to call Easton and see if I can just send in my wheelset and swap them since they have a 2 year warranty no questions asked. I've read they will swap them and put the new spacer kit.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by KMan View Post
    Can the rims be purchased separately anywhere?
    I have a set of DT 240 hubs that are looking for some carbon rims to mate with.

Michael
    That's the downside to havens. The carbon rims have to run with the straight pull spokes and the Easton m1 hub. Other then that they rock. Might I recomend lacing those dt 240s to a set of enves.

Talked to Easton. They told me just to ship in the wheel wheel copy of receipt and they will swap it out no problem. Super pleased at how easy it was
    Last edited by vapezilla; 03-08-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Trail Ninja
    Haven rims are for 24 spokes anyways.

Roval wheels don't have DT hubs. The carbon control wheelset has DT 350 internals for the rear. The front is proprietary and the rear hub shell is special made too, not necessarily by DT Swiss. I have heard that Novatec makes at least some Roval hubs, but not sure which models that applies to. Here's a pic of a selection of hubs that DT makes:

I see various Bontrager hubs, a 350 with custom Giant blue decal, Tricon, Spline...

Trail Ninja
    Here's one article that catches a crate of Roval hub shells at a Novatec factory:

Canadian Cyclist - Novatec Factory Visit

I also heard that lower end Roval hubs are from Joytech.