Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

local bike shop, the biggest mistake in the whole bike purchase process

i decided to take the advice of the members on here and tried all the local bike shops to find the full suspension bike for a short woman of 5' 1" .

we went into every store looking for a bike that would work for her needs.
    that she could ride and stand over and pick herself

some places are definately more knowledgeable than others. but when it came time to buy. it seems that in the stores opinion, only the bike brand the store sold, are the best bike for her to buy.
    and other brands we shared or wanted to discuss with the store, were of lesser quality or had some horror story about frame failure or something was not worked out or what ever

so in the long run.

it was really a waste of gas and time and after all the bikes we looked at
    and she stood over and rode.

she liked two brands / models.

one is the trek fuel 5.5 and trek fuel 8 wsd in a 14

and the other was a smallest model diamond-back-brand/model
    1). was a mission 1 / 07
    but had a fork with travel she felt made her lean back too much.

and another called
    diamond back recoil which she really liked for fit and size and color but spring was too stiff and guy could not adjust it, so another guy is going to come and adjust at store saturday afternoon

all of the bikes we liked weigh the same or less than the hardtail she has now.

and some of these bikes are actually less money than i spent of the hardtail

if i had a choice i would still buy the bike online and avoid the local bike shop at any cost.

unless the store is a giant chain, which relates to a lower cost through bulk purchasing power,which would make up for the time and gas and lack of knowledge of going to a local place to begin with.

i figured she would have wanted the most expensive bike, but she chose the bike that felt better/fit her ,over high sticker price. the other thing is, not every brand is available locally, so we could not find the k2 t/nine ridgeline bike for stand over or fit.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    One of the local paintball pro shops is like that, whenever they're DEALING a brand, its the greatest there is for whatever market level, and when they stop dealing it they talk trash about that brand, which makes you feel so nice how they lied to you about the brand when they were dealing them.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

We get titles?
    Can you or the girlfriend work on the bike yourself? If not, you're probably better off buying at an LBS, because that's where you'll be going every time you need a tune-up or to have something fixed. And they'll treat you better if they sold you the bike. They'll probably even include some free tune-ups.

The other thing to consider is warranty. If you ever have a need to take advantage of your manufacturer's warranty, what do you want to do, box up the bike and ship it back to the internet dealer, or drive to the local LBS?

I know a lot of LBS's are filled with wankers and knobs, but they can be a really valuable resource AFTER your purchase. Sure they all talk ragtime about the brands they don't sell, but that's why you went to different stores to begin with, right? To check out different brands for yourself?

So I completely agree that you should ignore 90% of what all the LBS's tell you and decide for yourself which brand/bike to buy. But once you make that decision, I'm telling you, you're far better off paying an extra 10-20% or whatever and buying it locally (because that extra money is buying you a level of service and support), than saving a few bucks in the beginning by buying from the internet and then being on your own for the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep, you can waste money in stores and online the same way. Some stores will shaft you on warranty coverage and on maintenance. Typically warranties, even though advertised as lifetime for certain manufacturers, do not cover components. So beware that warm fuzzy feeling.

Best bet for all of this is learn to do your own mechanics, and then buy what you've researched well online. For those fortunate enough to have a performance or other discoutn shop nearby, that works well.

surfer w/out waves
    Hey, research is research no matter how you look at it... If you don't put some sweat into broadening your knowledge base you're gonna get screwed... It's kinda like going to a Ford dealership and asking about a Chevy... Salesman are salesman for a reason ...

I'm a DIY kinda guy... but did you look at some female specific bikes? I know the big [SIZE="4"]S[/SIZE] released some new models... here I believe they are the Era, Safire, and Myka models...
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

mbtr member
    Having read your epic saga finding a bike for your wife, i think you're gonna be disappointed with anything. I think you should buy online so your disappointment with product will be offset with 'i got a good deal cuz i cut the middleman.'

Good luck!

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by lunna
    i decided to take the advice of the members on here and tried all the local bike shops to find the full suspension bike for a short woman of 5' 1" .

we went into every store looking for a bike that would work for her needs.
    that she could ride and stand over and pick herself

some places are definately more knowledgeable than others. but when it came time to buy. it seems that in the stores opinion, only the bike brand the store sold, are the best bike for her to buy.
    and other brands we shared or wanted to discuss with the store, were of lesser quality or had some horror story about frame failure or something was not worked out or what ever

so in the long run.

it was really a waste of gas and time and after all the bikes we looked at
    and she stood over and rode.

she liked two brands / models.

one is the trek fuel 5.5 and trek fuel 8 wsd in a 14

and the other was a smallest model diamond-back-brand/model
    1). was a mission 1 / 07
    but had a fork with travel she felt made her lean back too much.

and another called
    diamond back recoil which she really liked for fit and size and color but spring was too stiff and guy could not adjust it, so another guy is going to come and adjust at store saturday afternoon

all of the bikes we liked weigh the same or less than the hardtail she has now.

and some of these bikes are actually less money than i spent of the hardtail

if i had a choice i would still buy the bike online and avoid the local bike shop at any cost.

unless the store is a giant chain, which relates to a lower cost through bulk purchasing power,which would make up for the time and gas and lack of knowledge of going to a local place to begin with.

i figured she would have wanted the most expensive bike, but she chose the bike that felt better/fit her ,over high sticker price. the other thing is, not every brand is available locally, so we could not find the k2 t/nine ridgeline bike for stand over or fit.
    three online places i recommend.

capitallettersdotcom.

eecummingssucksdotnet

and paragraphsdotcom.

good

luck

with your

search.

Its got what plants crave
    What do you expect them to say? The house brand sucks, go buy something somewhere else? That's how salesman are, regardless of what it is they're selling. The competition sucks, ours is awesome so you should buy it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If you know your sh#t, buy online. If not, find a good LBS you trust, suck it up and buy locally. As you learn, wean yourself from the shop if you feel capable of handling your business yourself.
    Shops are great resources for local trail knowledge, folks to pedal with, picking up used kit and finding drinking buddies.
    The intraweb is great for learnin'...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    what brands of bikes do those sites offer ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    So the conclusion you come to is valid...but the only way you could've come to that conclusion is by checking out the LBS's.

How could you have known how a bike fitted without sitting in the bike itself at the LBS?

If you "started over" on your search, there's no way you could've automatically chosen to order online first .... b/c you wouldn't have the knowledge of what fits and what doesn't if not for the LBS. It's easy to say "order online" in retrospect, right? But what if your local LBS had a bike that fit like a dream on the first sitting - then what would you say?

So if your conclusion is order online-only, great - more power to you. I just hope you don't end up one of those people who goes to the brick-n-mortar only to check things out before ordering said item online to save a little dough.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I love my LBS. These guys are so good to me and very helpful and friendly that I'll even pay a little more to help them out. Yeah, I could get the RaceFace crankset for less online but I'd fork out the extra money to support my LBS. Why? If they don't make money and end up closing down, I'll be screwed out of a good place to go.

I try to do as much as I can to give them business. They are good to me and I want to be good to them. They only carry Specialized and Treks but they will work on any bike even the Wally World bikes and will order parts you need for any bike. They are helping me work on my Yeti right now. They pressed in my headset last Thursday and did an outstanding job.

In summary, you really don't know how important your local LBS is until it closes down and you need that quick bike fix.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    the things i can do without are the fill loss o fee and distrack shuns which take away from the simple fact, that if the items were available online, i would have bought already, the only problem is, the bike shop selling, has the exclusive on items i want, so i owe them my business and must fit their rules of doing business.

i did observe one thing.

color is very important to a girl. she will pick the lower end bike based on the color .

mtbr member
    Your female friend NEEDED a bike shop (or a bike shops selection) to find out what size bikes would fit best, and to discover what geometry she preferred - not laid back.

Suck it up.

And, bro, it's great that you want to help her, but don't let your negativity and search for the ultimate deal ruin her bike buying experience.

Ant
    -fellow cheapskate

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    actually the selection just led to confusion. just like anything other than a referral to place to buy.

it is info overload.

after a while she just said, i like the gray one .

please don't look at me as negative. i never attacked other bike brands

the shops did. they created fear about frame failure and stuff about component quality levels

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

lunna, time for you to just conduct your search on your own

actually the selection just led to confusion. just like anything other than a referral to place to buy.

it is info overload.

the shops did. they created fear about frame failure and stuff about component quality levels
    and quit giving us here headaches trying to help you. You're never going to get advice you deem worthwhile, you'll always complain. I thought you were gone from this forum after your last thread but here you are complaining again. Enough!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    wow lunna, I echo what xcguy said. I searched some of your other threads and it seems like you've been waffling on this decision for a LONG time now, asking questions that google could've easily answered and over and dissing most, if not all the advice that people are taking their time to give you.

suffice it to say that if you spent HALF the time you spent on MTBR as quality time with your girl, she'd be a lot happier than getting the lightest full suspension bike in TI or CF (and also the cheapest) as a surprise.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006

it is info overload.

learn

how to use
    paragraphs and caps

please!
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I also looked at some of your older posts and let me say you're over thinking this way too much and blowing off very good advice. You don't want to be looking for a super light bike for the girl because it will have her in a very uncomfortable position a.k.a. race position. This process is so simple yet, you're probably ruining her experience. Let her ride the bikes and then buy the one she's the most comfortable riding. It's really that simple.

Also from your other posts I suggest you find a lbs because I doubt you'll be able to do all of the repairs yourself. It doesn't take a wonder bike to make anyone happy. You can also easily buy grip shifters and change them out. It wouldn't take 30 minutes. Also you can't blame the shops for hating on the other brands because they don't carry them. Like someone else said you can't go to a Chevy dealer and talk about a Ford. I bet most components they were hating on are sitting on their bikes. There's only two options shimano or sram. Oh yea don't blame us for your bad experience when you went to the local bike shops. You now know which shops are better than the other shops and if you plan on buying her a bike online to save a couple dollars it needs to have the geometry similar to the ones she liked.

P.S. I would pay to see a frame that has failed with a girl rider that's 5'1. That has probably never happened in this sport. That's hilarious that someone scared you that much.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member

lbs are the way to go

I bought my bike from a lbs. I had problems with them and was disappointed. I was in the same mindset as you were but when i was dealing with issues with my bike later, i went to a different lbs. Even though i didnt buy my bike there, they took care of the issue and i became a regular customer.

I didnt mind spending a little more on parts because when i needed something, they would take me right in and work on my bike. You cant get that online!

I will keep giving a lbs business when i am treated like that.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1991
    I bought my bike from a lbs. I had problems with them and was disappointed.
    Having looked at lbss last year for a new bike, I can empathize with the OP. You get conflicting info from each of them. Then you drop 5 or 6 bills, not knowing what kind of service, if any, you are going to get - when you can get a comparable bike for a couple hundred less over the internet.

My recent experience with the nearest lbs left a lot to be desired. I went by his store last week to get an estimate for repairing a loose bolt on my cheap fork and to look at some accessories. He gave me an estimate of $60 labor and $32 for a parts kit that didn't even fit the fork. I brought the bike home, fixed the bolt, added oil, and its good as new. Even if the fork had needed a complete rebuild, as he said, its only a Dart1. You can buy a Dart 2 for his estimate to repair it. It worked out well because a was able to fix it myself and the accessories I would have bought from him were half the cost when I ordered them online over the weekend.

I'm sure there are good lbss with great service. Good luck.

mtbr member
    As a bike salesman, one of the stances i take is NO BASHING any bike(unless its walmart/bigbox of course). when asked about other bikes instead of bashing them i tell the customer that really every company in our industry makes quality bikes,cuz its honestly pretty true, and then i tell them about the unique features of the bike they are looking at at our store and how those features will benefit them,perfect,i the salesman stay credible and friendly,and the customer gets the info they need. Honesty is the best policy,and customers see this and really respect it. there are good shops out there with good people, you just have to find them.

*Contents Under Pressure
    I also work in bike sales and i had a customer ask me about the difference between Trek (what we sell) and Cannondale. I said, well they offer some different technologies and both are very competitive in the bicycle market. I mean, I don't see how a customer could ask for a more straightforward answer than that. What do you expect, an employee to say "yeah our bikes kinda suck compared to ____". Personally i would take a Trek over a Cannondale, that's why i work at the Trek store and not the other place. But really, they are all great bikes, cant we just go out and ride??
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    three online places i recommend.

capitallettersdotcom.

eecummingssucksdotnet

and paragraphsdotcom.

good

luck

with your

search.
    One of the funniest responses I've read in a long time.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Do your girlfriend a favor, go LBS

Never underestimate the value of the LBS. I purchased my first real FS mountain bike( 2003 Giant VT1) from my LBS. 4 years later I cracked the frame. Got a new 2006 sweet black Trance frame within a week. Good luck with that happening if I had bought that bike on the web . You need an LBS to handle the warranty when a problem occurs. He made a callto the manufacturer and within a couple of hours We had an answer. You never know whats going to happen. Oh yeah, could somebody explain to me what a troll is? I've seen that term on the forums before. thanks...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast