Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    272

    lightest lowest price fullsuspension mtn bike for small person

    is there a list arranged by lowest to highest price ?

    this bike will be a gift

    for a 5' 3" girl who is maybe an inch or so taller with riding shoes on.

    thank you

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    526
    Walmart probably has something like that for $100.

    Wheelworld.com had some great deals on a Kona Queen Kikapu...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stretch169's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    339
    Konas at Wheelworld have to be purchased in-store. Check out RSCycle for some killer deals on K2 and Iron Horse. I just picked up a small Lithium 4.0 for my wife and the components are incredible for $999 to my door.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882

    You gotta define "low to high" price

    Quote Originally Posted by lunna
    is there a list arranged by lowest to highest price ?

    this bike will be a gift

    for a 5' 3" girl who is maybe an inch or so taller with riding shoes on.

    thank you
    In my mind that's maybe $900 to $2000+. And, frankly, giving a bike as a gift, unless you know it's going to fit correctly, is kinda sketchy. Maybe give her a card that says "redeemable for the mountain bike of your choice--if it costs $$$thismuch". I know it's not the same as getting her the bike she asked for but maybe she just doesn't know till she rides a few.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  5. #5
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,031
    SC Juliana (sp?) ???

    http://phattire1.stores.yahoo.net/sancruzjulsu.html

    nice bike for 1200 bucks. Add $500 for the 'D' kit. Womens specific. None of this matters if it doesn't fit her right or she doesn't feel comfortable riding it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    272
    that is why i asked if someone had already formulated a list

    of lowest price to highest

    and weight of bikes

    for small and smaller riders.

    anything wrong with the k2 nine womens ?

    thank you

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    236
    JensonUSA.com has some really good deals on small framed bikes right now. Tthey are 2 or 3 year old Jamis XC bikes. 13 and 15" frame sizes. Either should work for someone that height.

    You'll have to do your own shopping and list making, sorry.....
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    293
    sorry my list is only from highest price to lowest........lol jk
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

    2008 Giant Reign X

    2007 Specialized Allez

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Curler
    sorry my list is only from highest price to lowest........lol jk

    does it include bike weight ?











  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,579
    for people who are small and want small frome bikes, it's a buyer's market for you..
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    272
    i looked at

    k2 nine womens

    ibex

    santa cruz

    i would like to also ask. those who have bought the k2 lithium, what size did you purchase for your height

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch169
    Konas at Wheelworld have to be purchased in-store. Check out RSCycle for some killer deals on K2 and Iron Horse. I just picked up a small Lithium 4.0 for my wife and the components are incredible for $999 to my door.
    how tall is she ?

    how does bike fit ?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    272
    also i would like for the bike to have twist grip shifting.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by lunna
    i looked at

    k2 nine womens

    ibex

    santa cruz

    i would like to also ask. those who have bought the k2 lithium, what size did you purchase for your height
    I bought 06 k2 lithium 3.0 (sold it about a month ago for a marin bike).
    I think it's one of the best bike for $$$$. I bought a small frame size bike.
    I am 5' 5-6" and short inseam 29".
    the bike fitted well except stand over height.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by kimguroo
    I bought 06 k2 lithium 3.0 (sold it about a month ago for a marin bike).
    I think it's one of the best bike for $$$$. I bought a small frame size bike.
    I am 5' 5-6" and short inseam 29".
    the bike fitted well except stand over height.



    what size marin did you buy ?

    thank you

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by lunna
    what size marin did you buy ?

    thank you
    I got a 07 east peak small size.
    I think xs size fits better for me though.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    272
    so i should look at xtra smalls.

    i am going to lbs saturday to see a petite marin.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by lunna
    so i should look at xtra smalls.

    i am going to lbs saturday to see a petite marin.
    What is your budget?
    marin full suspension bikes are expensive than others and bit heavier.
    lowest price east peak was $1425 shipped.
    I don't have an accurate bike scale but my east peak is around 31-33 lbs.
    I need to upgrade the fork in order to reduce some weight (more than 1 lbs).

    also k2 lithium was around 33 lbs.

    without knowing budget, it's hard to recommend which bike is the best for $$$.
    K2 Apache 5.0 2006 can be very nice (RScycle : $850). it's around 28 lbs.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    272
    do any of the bikes come with grip shift already on them ?

  20. #20
    himom!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    684
    You can always swap out to grip shift very easily.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by lunna
    do any of the bikes come with grip shift already on them ?
    no. I have not seen bikes with OEM grip shifter but you can change it.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    272
    i would not mind spending around $1000.00 on the bike

    if a little more thats fine.

    the right size bike and not heavy is my highest concern

    that k2 title nine bike seems lightest, i find of weights given at 28lbs.

    what is wrong with this bike's shock travel wise or parts wise if anything

    another thing i like is the tubeless tire

  23. #23
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,700
    doesnt title nine have something to do with equal opportunity?

    I'd like to suggest that your priorities are all wrong. In my experience, bike weight is always very competitive for a given application and price point; within a pound or two. Looking for a very light bike will land you with somethign with race oriented geometry, which is the best way to deter someone from enjoying mtn biking. Shifters are easy to swap, and any shift mechanism can be learned pretty quickly. Suspension and fit are expensive to change and influence the experience much more. Beginner mtb'ers usually like a shorter, more upright position, and shorter women tend to benefit the most from women's specific geometry. Is she agressive in her sports, loving a challenge? A thrill? Does she love feelin that cardio burn? Or just more likely to want to want to watch the scenery roll by on two wheels? A 'trail' bike will help her make tricky climbs and inspire confidence descending. An 'xc' bike will put her in position to really move.

    So with all that in mind, i would look for a bike with a low standover height and a good suspension set up with a device in the damper that prevents spiking, like tpc or motion control. The rest of it is less important.
    .

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    doesnt title nine have something to do with equal opportunity?

    I'd like to suggest that your priorities are all wrong. In my experience, bike weight is always very competitive for a given application and price point; within a pound or two. Looking for a very light bike will land you with somethign with race oriented geometry, which is the best way to deter someone from enjoying mtn biking. Shifters are easy to swap, and any shift mechanism can be learned pretty quickly. Suspension and fit are expensive to change and influence the experience much more. Beginner mtb'ers usually like a shorter, more upright position, and shorter women tend to benefit the most from women's specific geometry. Is she agressive in her sports, loving a challenge? A thrill? Does she love feelin that cardio burn? Or just more likely to want to want to watch the scenery roll by on two wheels? A 'trail' bike will help her make tricky climbs and inspire confidence descending. An 'xc' bike will put her in position to really move.

    So with all that in mind, i would look for a bike with a low standover height and a good suspension set up with a device in the damper that prevents spiking, like tpc or motion control. The rest of it is less important.


    for example ?

  25. #25
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by lunna
    for example ?
    i dunno, i haven't bought a bike in a few years- just tryin to point you in the right direction.
    .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •