Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

LG Horsethief frame: $880

Universal has the large HT frame for $880. So tempting, but I would probably need to buy a sleeping bag along with it (aka wife wouldn't approve).

Universal Cycles -- Salsa Horsethief Frame - 2012

mtbr member
    Damn, that is a good price. Why no XL though? I'd love to give that frame a try.

mtbr member
    Great post! I wish I had more disposable income.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Damn, that is a good price. Why no XL though? I'd love to give that frame a try.
    No frame only, but they've got the whole thing in XL at an equally (even more?) awesome price: $2059.

If you part it out:
    Fork: 550
    Drivetrain w/cranks: 200
    Wheelset: 200
    Brakes: 100
    Saddle/bars/post/stem: 50
    Tires: 40

Frame cost: $920.
    I'm pretty sure you could part it out for more than I guessed at above, but those are the no hassle it's sold today prices. Or....OR...... you just keep the whole bike

mtbr member
    Those are good prices for the complete. Reread the Dirt Rag review of it and it was good (they also reviewed the Kona Satori that month too). I'm just wondering if I'll lose some of the nimbleness that I have now with my Kona Honzo CS of 16.3" vs the Horsethief's 18.1" CS. They seem awfully long compared to the Satori or even Transition Bandit 29er.

If frame only was available, I would be tempted to try it and just swap everything from the Honzo, buying a complete, I just don't feel like dealing with parting out. I barely broke even selling my last two Revelation 140 forks that were new lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    And Spearfish frames are only $809!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm just wondering if I'll lose some of the nimbleness that I have now with my Kona Honzo CS of 16.3" vs the Horsethief's 18.1" CS. They seem awfully long compared to the Satori or even Transition Bandit 29er.
    I'm with you on that. If there was a Satori frame up for $880 I'd have my credit card out. I have a Speafish and Yelli and would love to combine the two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    I'm with you on that. If there was a Satori frame up for $880 I'd have my credit card out. I have a Speafish and Yelli and would love to combine the two.
    Definitely short chainstays are where it's at.

Universalcycles.com will not be discounting the XL frame any further, it's the set price by Salsa, last one in inventory. Since they have Larges in stock at UC, hence the sale.

The cheapest Satori frame that I've seen online is $1295. I too would scoop it up if it was under $900, I would love to give FS a try. Been a hardtail man all my life.

get down!
    I'm probably going to pick up a large complete and see how it goes. The price is too good to resist. Like Eurospek I'll be coming off a strictly hardtail for life diet and rigid (until my last ride) for around 5 years. I'll also be coming off of a shorter chainstay bike with my Kona Raijin which is currently set at 17" chain stays. I'll pull a few of the parts and sell them, bring the price down for me a bit. Also will swap out the hubs for my DT Swiss 240s' in the parts bin providing the spokes are the right length. Will also report back about the CS length.

That's less than the price of some fullie frame onlys!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

get down!
    Done and done. $2,059 shipped to my door. Also, thank you to Bill Me Later for giving me 6 months to pay this puppy off and part out the stuff I don't want. I was watching one on eBay for a bit cheaper, but I want the warranty since it's a fully and has a bunch of moving sh!t that I don't know about that squeaks and might possibly break. Gift to myself for starting my new job on Tuesday. Yay!

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Dispite the longer chainstays (which i never found to be an issue) I do like their ultra simple suspension concept. Seems to be a truly 'simple, low maintenance suspension bike' which is one of the biggest complaints die-hard hardtail owners have towards suspension frames (i used to be one of them).

- Pivot Minimizing Suspension
    "A 120mm rear travel version of our link-actuated single pivot design. The Horsethief features our simplified one-piece rear triangle with shaped stays and a shared pivot link design that reduces pivot points and hardware. This creates a lighter and stiffer rear end with fewer wear and maintainance points"
    - Shaped Seatstays
    "Used in favor of a rear pivot on the 1-piece rear triangle. A rear dropout pivot (if present) would only rotate 1-degree during full suspension compression. We eliminate this pivot point and instead transform the 1-degree of rotation into a slight 5.3mm deflection of the seat stays tubes. The seatstays are shaped and sized appropriately to safely handle this small amount of deflection far beyond the lifespan of the frame. The result is a lightweight, one-piece rear triangle with a single pair of bearings at the main pivot"

Not a bad lookin' bike either, I must say.

Salsa Cycles | Bikes | 2012 Horsethief
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    That complete price is insane for what you get. Mighty tempted but are my Midwest trails rugged enough for such a bike lol, when I get by on my Honzo just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Done and done. $2,059 shipped to my door.
    Excellent! Thanks for helping me live vicariously. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Just to be clear, I wasn't necessarily getting down on the Horsethief. I found these deals since I was window shopping after all I have a Spearfish and I just decided I couldn't justify the cost unless I was getting something that was absolutely perfect for my desires.

get down!
    That complete price is insane for what you get. Mighty tempted but are my Midwest trails rugged enough for such a bike lol, when I get by on my Honzo just fine.
    I am/was thinking the same thing. I paired my bikes down to 2, my Raijin and my Ti La Cruz and told myself I wouldn't get anymore bikes. I just couldn't resist...total irrational man-purchase.

I'm going to have to take some trips to justify it.

reasoning:

I want a bike for friends/family to ride when they come visit. I'd also like to get my dad into cycling again. Him and my stepmother were both hit by a truck on a charity bike ride back about 5 years ago and still are rehabilitating and haven't touched a bike. They certainly won't ride on the road anymore, probably won't ride off road either, but it will fit him too should he decide to come riding with me.

I also had a bunch of parts I was saving for a full suspension build and might either sell those to recoup or take the new parts off and sell them to recoup. Looking at $1,500 when I clear out what I'm going to sell. After putting around downtown KC today in some of those fine retail shops, that's like a couple pairs of jeans, a few shirts and a jacket. Or if I pop into the LBS it makes even more sense what a "deal" it is.

I'm probably going to sell my drum machine and some other music gear that I don't really need/use. (trade it out for a bike I'll rarely use? )

Mostly just curious I suppose, full suspension is a new world for me. I'm excited

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Excellent! Thanks for helping me live vicariously. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Just to be clear, I wasn't necessarily getting down on the Horsethief. I found these deals since I was window shopping after all I have a Spearfish and I just decided I couldn't justify the cost unless I was getting something that was absolutely perfect for my desires.
    No worries man. I have my doubts too. I can tell you one thing, if this thing is a boat, I'll call it that! I'm not the type to do a BS review. If it's not what I'm looking for I'll sell the frame and slap a Satori frame on it and give that a go. I'm gonna ride it hard, give it a fair shake and see what it feels like.

Universal is going to set the fork at 140mm for me from the jump so I won't have to worry about that. Just need to find an 80mm stem and make some other tweaks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i'm in on this as well. bought a complete, size M (i'm between 5'10" and 5'11"), and requested that they set the fork up at 140mm though i haven't heard back yet as to whether or not they're going to. i wanted to err on the side of maneuverability after demoing a large this spring and finding it to be a whole lot of bike to muscle around. the horsethief may or may not be exactly what i'm looking for given the type of riding i do (technical/rocky with a lot of climbing and descending), but i figured that for just over 2 grand i can ride the hell out of it and not take too big a loss if the thing turns out to be too much of a pig going uphill.

i'll likely sell off the stock wheels when it arrives...i wonder if i can get $250 for them. i'd also like to upgrade to XT brakes eventually, but that may have to wait.

mtbr member
    Great offer !!!

Anyone knows shipping charges for Europe, and total amount in euros for that ?

I guess must be in ups but before I pay and close order can't find how much money I ll pay.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Jeebus. Pretty tough to beat the price of that complete. I really shouldn't ...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    ... thank you to Bill Me Later for giving me 6 months to pay this puppy off and part out the stuff I don't want. ...
    Is this a Universal thing or something with your own finances? Thanks.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by rocktownrook View Post
    i'm in on this as well. bought a complete, size M (i'm between 5'10" and 5'11"), and requested that they set the fork up at 140mm though i haven't heard back yet as to whether or not they're going to. i wanted to err on the side of maneuverability after demoing a large this spring and finding it to be a whole lot of bike to muscle around. the horsethief may or may not be exactly what i'm looking for given the type of riding i do (technical/rocky with a lot of climbing and descending), but i figured that for just over 2 grand i can ride the hell out of it and not take too big a loss if the thing turns out to be too much of a pig going uphill.

i'll likely sell off the stock wheels when it arrives...i wonder if i can get $250 for them. i'd also like to upgrade to XT brakes eventually, but that may have to wait.
    We're in the same mind state my man. I'm thinking 200-250 is fair for the wheelset. I'm also looking at the SLX brakes. Have the XT brakes on my SS and love them. Blue Sky cycling has the SLX brakes now for super cheap.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    It's through PayPal, you have to sign up, but I find it's been a blessing for me. I'm a finance guy though so I know how to not get in trouble with it. If you don't pay in full within' the time frame, they'll have your arse. I always do though...I have great credit and never carry debt so when I do have it I sacrifice and make it my priority to pay off.

In this particular instance, this deal is great. I don't want to pass it up, but I also don't want to use my cash. Bill me Later allows me to float the funds for 6 months and provides the time for me to sell the parts I won't need/want, which will help me recoup and pay it down faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Jeebus. Pretty tough to beat the price of that complete. I really shouldn't ...
    .....2 hours later:

You must have bought it by now. Come on, admit it

I'm glad I was able to temp so many with this thread. I'll admit I had my finger hovering over the "buy" button

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    There's a "L" in my cart; kinda hoping they sell out before I hit "buy".

get down!
    There's a "L" in my cart; kinda hoping they sell out before I hit "buy".
    Did you get one? Large and medium are sold out. Mine shipped today. Just started a new job, so I dunno when I'll get a chance to unbox it. I'm commuting an hour and a half x2 until I find a place in the city I work in too. So, stoked and. Not stoked at the same time.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sigh. I did. Mine shipped today, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast