Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Freshly Fujified

Leader frames on ebay

Looks like Leader is clearing out some NOS, shopworn, or customer return frames on ebay. There are three hardtail frames that end within 9 hours of this post. 2 of them are 15" frames that are still at the opening bid of a penny! The other is a 17" frame that's at less than $20 as of this post.

These guys make some very nice frames as I've pointed out before on several occasions. Someone's going to walk away with a bargain here, folks.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I wonder how does the posted 17 frame differ from the $139 ones (LD-516H) he is selling (besides paint)?

Wonder how much they weigh and what type of fork they are desinged to use (don't see that on the leader listings)

Freshly Fujified

Customer return or scratched perhaps?

Read the whole description in that listing, then read what's written on the cardboard box the frame was photographed laying on. It says "New" which leads me to believe it's probably a customer return with a scratch, or a frame that got scratched sitting in the warehouse.

As for the weight, my 515H is about 4 lbs. I asked Brian at Leader about what size fork it could accommodate and the reply I got was that they recommend no more than 130mm. I currently have a 125mm Fox Vanilla RLC on it, and it seems to be OK. A bit more raked out than I'm used to, but it works. I'd personally recommend to stay with a fork with less travel.

I hope this helps.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks. I found one weight (on the Bluesky site ) for the LD-516H as 3.2 lbs (but they dont specify the size) and 3.8 lbs for the 516H size 17. Still don't see the difference between the lighter LD-516H and the heavier, but more expensive 516H.

I was actually looking for a steel HT to put my 80mm SID XC shock on and worried that might be too tight and squirly on this frame.

Freshly Fujified

No difference

The 516H and the LD 516H are the same bike. The weight difference is probably the result of size, or the general inaccuracies of stated weights that proliferate the industry as a whole. Again, the difference is that they are selling off inventory that is not perfect for one reason or another. Here's the description from the auction:

"FRAME IS SOLD AS IS. FRAME SHIPS FULLY INSURED. WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU WILL GET. THESE FRAMES ARE EITHER BRAND NEW, DEMOS, OR CUSTOMER RETURNS. THEY MAY BE BRAND NEW OR MAY HAVE A SMALL SCRATCH OR DEANT"

There are numerous reasons a vendor may choose to discount an item becuase of some factor that does not allow them to sell it as a brand new item. It could be a small scratch or ding as described in the above paragraph. Could be a brand new perfect customer return. Could be a scratched item that's never been sold. make sense?

Bob

mtbr member

Score

I'd been watching the Leaders for a while. Threw out a bid that stuck and won this baby. I had been looking for a frame to replace an old Nishiki hardtail that had "decent" but retro parts. Now I'm on the fence, build it up with the old reliables or hang some new stuff on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    NIce frame. What did you get it for?

mtbr member

Cheap

$15.50 plus shipping. Had been debating one of the Nashbar steel frames, but this comes in for around the same cost, but a nicer frame.

Freshly Fujified

What a steal!

My guess is the smaller frames went for even cheaper. I thought I got a deal on mine. I think it was about $50+ shipping through a liquidator. They still have two time trials/cyclocross frames up there for a penny with 22 hours left.

Enjoy the frame, it's a good one.

Bob

P.S. I say dress it up with new parts.

The Top Cap Guy
    Thanks for the tip - I had to go $31 plus shipping for a total of $60 in the one I got - but my nephew will be happy - building up a 1st timer bike for him to try mountain biking out. I'm excited to see how long it takes for me to be chasing the 11 year old... ahh youth... its amazing how fast they adapt to new sports...

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Wish I had caught this sooner...
    This would have made a fun wedding gift for my brother.
    He's got a SantaCruz that is nice enough that he doesn't like to use it as a commuter/town bike (especially after his custom built hardtail got stolen off of his deck a few years ago). I've got a pile of take-off parts that could put together a suitable 26"-wheeled ride.

If anyone sees or knows of anymore 15" or 16" bargain hardtails, please post or even send me a message.

Freshly Fujified

Glad to help

I hope he enjoys the new bike.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Given how the TopImage E-stay frames ediscount has as low as $9.99 all have derailleur hanger issues (as in, crappy threads, apparently they helicoiled all the frames they had left, but as the one I just got to use as a winter bike had a poorly installed helicoil, I had to remove it and install a Wheels Mfrg frame-saver instead), I'd be willing to put up with a scratch or dent on a leader, as its lighter and has disc mounts.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Given how the TopImage E-stay frames ediscount has as low as $9.99 all scratch or dent on a leader, as its lighter and has disc mounts.
    Can you show a link for such frames? I didn't find anything searching on those keywords.

mtbr member

We sold out on the old stock hardtale frames

We will be listing two 636f (discontinued) frames and 4 626s (special paint) frames with ad 12 shock this week. Look for them on Tuesday. they will start at $.01 on ebay one day auction no reserve.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the heads-up.

Do you know what the sizes will be?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Anymore coming up? Need S or XS

I looked today and didn't see any new auctions. Moving my son up to a big wheel bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    sorry, they will be up tommorow. 636f comes in 18.5" only. 626S should be both 17" and 19". we have our 510H hardtales for $89 on our site www.leaderbikestore.com but will go up in price to $109 by the end of the week.

Freshly Fujified

Taps my watch

Yep..it's working. Looks at ebay. Nada. Did I miss something?

mtbr member

Freshly Fujified

626 going up soon?

I'm interested in these special colors you mentioned.

Thanks!

Bob

mtbr member

Freshly Fujified

Thanks Brian

I like the red rear triangle. It would certainly complement the red-fade-into-black paint scheme on my 515. I'll have to keep my eyes on this auction.

Bob

Freshly Fujified

Someone got a steal!

Unbelieveable. $252.50 shipped for a $600 frame!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0031&rd=1&rd=1

This frame makes for a great baseline for a build. Winning bidder's gonna be a happy camper!

Bob

The Top Cap Guy
    just a note on the frame I won... it was a LD-516H frame in a 16" size and its nice... very well thought out braze ons, and it weighed in at 3.5lbs. Should make a great new ride for my nephew.

Thanks!
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast