mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Lake MX400 for $133!!!

These usually sell for $400 or more. Anyone ever order anything from this company?

http://elitecycling.biz/page.cfm?Pag...and=219&type=T

edit:I used this link for a pricematch from Jenson and they approved it, don't need to worry about them.
    Last edited by Kurt(Miami); 03-05-2008 at 11:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I ordered the fork for my current build from them last week, got a tracking number in the mail and it should be here later this week, so as long as they aren't shipping me a box of rocks I'd say they are legit.

Even better than Jenson price matched it though.

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt(Miami)
    These usually sell for $400 or more. Anyone ever order anything from this company?

http://elitecycling.biz/page.cfm?Pag...and=219&type=T

edit:I used this link for a pricematch from Jenson and they approved it, don't need to worry about them.
    DUDE, good find...we'll see if they come through. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Just bought 2 pairs

I just ordered 2 pairs of these (1 for me, 1 for my brother) - can't wait. What a great deal. I price-matched them at Jenson, but they don't give you the free shipping if you match, so I just got them from Elite Cycling and saved a couple more bucks. ;p hey, every little bit counts. Can't wait to break them in on my new Mountain Cycle Zen I just built over the weekend!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    My question is where I can get the shoes fitted. The custom mold procedure sounds scary (putting shoes into an oven), and the closest Lake dealer for me is 4hrs away. Might have to try it myself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, not a scary procedure - I have some Sole Ultra running shoe insoles that you put in your kitchen oven for a few minutes at a certain temp when you first buy 'em and then walk around in them for a few minutes and they mold to your feet. Sounds like this is the same technology. Pretty simple - here's the user manual that explains exactly what to do:

http://www.lakecycling.com/images/cfc_manual_web.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by drc151
    Yeah, not a scary procedure - I have some Sole Ultra running shoe insoles that you put in your kitchen oven for a few minutes at a certain temp when you first buy 'em and then walk around in them for a few minutes and they mold to your feet. Sounds like this is the same technology. Pretty simple - here's the user manual that explains exactly what to do:

http://www.lakecycling.com/images/cfc_manual_web.pdf
    Thanks!

veldrijder
    I just ordered a pair via the pricematch at Jenson - we'll see how the CFC tech works out when they get here.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Nice price on Lake winter shoes too...

...but only in size 40.

Lake '08 MXZ302 Winter Mountain Shoe $125.00
    http://elitecycling.biz/page.cfm?Pag...ils&sku=SH0430

mtbr member

thats Jensons

for you, they had all sizes yesterday. They matched for me but I think this deal was too good so they have taken these off the roster till the sale is over. Except for that segment of the market who have a size 40 shoe.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    for you, they had all sizes yesterday. They matched for me but I think this deal was too good so they have taken these off the roster till the sale is over.
    Can you blame them? If I was them I probably just wouldn't have pricematched but I'm glad they did and I got mine.

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    for you, they had all sizes yesterday. They matched for me but I think this deal was too good so they have taken these off the roster till the sale is over. Except for that segment of the market who have a size 40 shoe.
    Looks like they did that with the MX400s now too

I dont see why they just don't reject the price match on deep discounts (like cambria does) instead of doing that.

tl1
    Bicyclist

They better start doing that with...

...everything because Elite Cycling looks to be slightly less expensive on just about everything compared to Jenson and many things are quite a bit less expensive than Jenson. The MX 400 shoes are $480 at Jenson. I ordered a chainring from Elite to test them out. For example, it was $20 there and 22.50 at Jenson.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anyone know how the sizing fits compared to cheap Forte shoes? I have very square feet so if the toe is heavily rounded they don't work for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I got my tracking #, shoes should be here on Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Got the shoes today, no problems.

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    Mine came today too! Looks like I'm doing a little baking tonight. Might throw in some brownies too while I'm at it, make em smell nice.

Thanks again Kurt...really a great deal.

veldrijder
    Delivery attempt on mine today, but I wasn't home - so I'll have them tomorrow

You down with entropy?
    dang no 44.5......
    I was too slow

tl1
    Bicyclist

I got my chainring too...

...yesterday, which was pretty fast shipping for regular UPS. I think we can call Elite Cycling legit.

You down with entropy?
    well took the chance on the 45.
    I figured that I might be able to use some other insoles if the fit is too loose.

thanks for the tip

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Anyone know how they are for narrow feet? I have borderline women's feet and have always needed narrow shoes. The custom thing looks nice and the price looks nicer!

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    I have fairly narrow feet too and these fit me fine. They make a wide version too apparently for wider feet (not listed on elite I don't think). Mine say "45.0" and my bro's say "46 Wide" but he didn't request "wide"...luck of the draw? I guess you could just call them and specify.

Which way? Uphill.
    I'd say Lakes in general run a bit narrow. I'm usually a 44, but they felt a little tight in the Lakes, so I went for a 45.

You'd probably be fine ordering your normal size.

Here's a good chart from Performance for comparing the sizes in different brands.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member

great chart

Thats a great chart thanks. I find 661 varys depending the year. 2006 ran a bit smaller and 2007 and 2008 ran bigger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    crap I didn't realize they had more pages with other colors/sizes... I wanted 45.5 in black, I managed to snag a pair in silver but atleast I'm saving several hundred dollars...

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    No wides...boooo

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

The low down on elite

Ok so I thought I would drive to the elite cycles address in OP KS and try on the different sizes to see what i liked. Well its not really a bike shop.....yet...... its under major construction. I talked to Kyle the owner, and he is a really cool guy. They are not really gonna have a bike shop in the sense of having a big store front, but they are gonna offer most of their sales online and have some stock but that is a few months out. All in all they seemed really honest about the business that they are running, they know that they can't compete with places like bikesource and the trek store and they are not trying to. Bottom line there is not any stock at the shop right now, but if you called them and asked for a couple sizes I bet that Kyle would have them in in 2-3 days to try on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sold out of black 44.5 and 45, I'm screwed =*(

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have no issue with that, this is how one of my friends started up an online paintball store and now it is arguably Canada's number one online paintball company and one of the top paintball retail stores in Canada too. The point is you have to start somewhere...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just another thumbs up for elitecycling. Ordered a pair end of last week and they're already here. Great service and a great price! Don't fret about the crazy bonkers price, they'll come through for ya.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just got mine as well. They're very uncomfortable without being formed, but mine didn't get the temperature change stickers that are mentioned in the manual. I guess I'll just have to take them out when I think they're ready...

EDIT: Tried forming them, only had little success. Still can't get the feeling right. The only time I could form the shoe, the front of the rubber was coming unglued. These are certainly biking-only shoes - don't attempt to hike a bike in these, they're not very comfortable when walking. They feel fine on the bike though, although my fit still isn't right (the shoe is the right size, the heel is the problematic part).

I'll probably rarely wear these unless I can get the heel to feel right :/
    Last edited by trueserve; 03-27-2008 at 11:43 PM.

ride hard or die
    Mar 2004
    that worries me, I just ordered a pair myself. The black ones, even though I wanted the white ones but they did not have them in my size. Can anybody give me a quick review on how they perfrom? have not found any, even on this website. I hope they take returns, if I am not satisfyed if they do work, I will be stoked, just thinking how much money I had saved!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Got my pair today. The only gripe I have is that the temp sticker wasn't included with the shoes so I had to just put the shoes in the oven till I thought they were ready. It seemed to work well though and these shoes fit like a glove.

ride hard or die
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian06
    Got my pair today. The only gripe I have is that the temp sticker wasn't included with the shoes so I had to just put the shoes in the oven till I thought they were ready. It seemed to work well though and these shoes fit like a glove.
    Looks like we got ours around the same time. Mine should come in tomarow, (according to the ups tracking #) I guess we will just have to ride them and see what hapens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    the sizing chart was right on. I normally take a 45 and with Lake I ordered a 45.5 and it's just right, a 45 in Lake would have never fit.

I can't weld
    Resurrection:::

Anybody buying them for $149 from JensonUSA? I got my white 45's. Totally not a good enough rider to be wearing white shoes, but you only live once. Maybe I can find a Paolo Bettini white world champ skinsuit on Ebay.

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    Heres my thing about these shoes (and maybe why theyre so cheap nowadays). They are by far the most comfortable shoes Ive ridden in, theyre light and theyre stiff....but mine absolutely fell apart the SECOND time I rode in them. Maybe I just got a bad pair but I fell bad for the guys that spent $460 on them. The rubber on the sole (not heel, but heel is starting to show) on both shoes completely seperated after the seocnd long ride! That said, instead of returning them, I Gooed everything and they're back to being my favorite shoes ever. So far so good. Just a little high maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My opinion on these shoes... as jrc stated the soles absolutely fell off after like 2-3 rides. I would just glue them back on myself but to make matters worse the slots for the cleats were drilled off center on the right sole so I can barely get my cleat on there. Even after I did, it is so off center that I am riding on the outside of my foot and it is causing numbing. I contacted Lake and they are issuing me an RMA # and will replace them.

I can't weld

Views on fitting and first ride - Sorry for the long winded commentary

First impression of these shoes before oven-forming: Quite possibly the most uncomfortable things to ever have touched my feet. Walking in them made my teeth hurt.

Second impression after heating and forming to my feet: Still not the most comfortable for walking thanks to their rigid soles (compared to my old Sidi Dominators) but they have a luxuriously slipper-like fit that grips the forefoot once clipped onto the bike.

Despite not being shipped from Jenson with the heat sensitive stickers, the owner's manual directions were easily followed. Important points- fit one shoe at a time, don't touch the magma-hot black carbon fiber straight out of the oven, and wear the thickest sock you plan to ride in. Maybe even a little thicker than you plan to wear. The shoes feel like they shrink slightly around your foot as they cool. The outer leather is hot to touch straight out of the oven and you definately need hot pads to form the carbon fiber heelcup in the first few minutes, but your foot will just feel toasty warm inside the shoe. Once adequately formed, just put your feet up and let them cool gradually. Don't run around in them, the glue holding on the treads is still soft. I think this is some of the problem people have had with the tread coming off after a few rides.

So, after a 2.5 hour ride, I had one tight spot on the right that made a few toes numb towards the end. I attribute this to my low-volume, very flat foot. I'm going to try a thicker SmartWool racing sock next time and I'm considering using the superthin liners out of my Sidi's just to customize the fit. My feet stayed cool despite the 90degree, high-humidity late spring weather in Tulsa thanks to the well-ventilated forefoot panels.

The carbon sole made an audible grinding sound on the wings of my Eggbeaters with each pedalstroke. No obvious damage yet, but I think its time to invest in some stainless steel ShoeShields that mount between the cleat and sole and protect the carbon. Just $10 from Crank Brothers.

I also found how to keep the tread from coming off and how to keep the leather (mine are white) clean at the same time: Just don't touch the ground! Yeah right.
    I took mine over to the trailhead and threw them on the ground just to get their first scuffs out of the way. Kinda like a new helmet.

Overall, I'm 50/50 on whether these will replace my filthy, smelly and well-formed Dominators as my everyday shoes. They fit better than the Sidi's, which are a half-size too small to start with. Sidi's are 44, Lake's are 45s that fit like a longish 44.5 thanks to a larger toebox. I wear a 10.5 US shoe. I'll probably give them a good summer of riding so they are well-fitted and I can go back and forth depending on my mood and riding conditions.

Looks like Jenson still has almost all sizes from 39-48 in at least one of three colors. You definately can't beat the price for the quality.

Hope this helped. I'll update with any major problems.

veldrijder
    Anyone still looking for these in a 47? They're really nice, but I'm not finding them a good fit for my feet. I'll pay up for a classified ad if a deal does go down.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Price is not indicative of quality

Quote Originally Posted by Indiefab
    First impression of these shoes before oven-forming: Quite possibly the most uncomfortable things to ever have touched my feet. Walking in them made my teeth hurt.

Second impression after heating and forming to my feet: Still not the most comfortable for walking thanks to their rigid soles (compared to my old Sidi Dominators) but they have a luxuriously slipper-like fit that grips the forefoot once clipped onto the bike.

Despite not being shipped from Jenson with the heat sensitive stickers, the owner's manual directions were easily followed. Important points- fit one shoe at a time, don't touch the magma-hot black carbon fiber straight out of the oven, and wear the thickest sock you plan to ride in. Maybe even a little thicker than you plan to wear. The shoes feel like they shrink slightly around your foot as they cool. The outer leather is hot to touch straight out of the oven and you definately need hot pads to form the carbon fiber heelcup in the first few minutes, but your foot will just feel toasty warm inside the shoe. Once adequately formed, just put your feet up and let them cool gradually. Don't run around in them, the glue holding on the treads is still soft. I think this is some of the problem people have had with the tread coming off after a few rides.

So, after a 2.5 hour ride, I had one tight spot on the right that made a few toes numb towards the end. I attribute this to my low-volume, very flat foot. I'm going to try a thicker SmartWool racing sock next time and I'm considering using the superthin liners out of my Sidi's just to customize the fit. My feet stayed cool despite the 90degree, high-humidity late spring weather in Tulsa thanks to the well-ventilated forefoot panels.

The carbon sole made an audible grinding sound on the wings of my Eggbeaters with each pedalstroke. No obvious damage yet, but I think its time to invest in some stainless steel ShoeShields that mount between the cleat and sole and protect the carbon. Just $10 from Crank Brothers.

I also found how to keep the tread from coming off and how to keep the leather (mine are white) clean at the same time: Just don't touch the ground! Yeah right.
    I took mine over to the trailhead and threw them on the ground just to get their first scuffs out of the way. Kinda like a new helmet.

Overall, I'm 50/50 on whether these will replace my filthy, smelly and well-formed Dominators as my everyday shoes. They fit better than the Sidi's, which are a half-size too small to start with. Sidi's are 44, Lake's are 45s that fit like a longish 44.5 thanks to a larger toebox. I wear a 10.5 US shoe. I'll probably give them a good summer of riding so they are well-fitted and I can go back and forth depending on my mood and riding conditions.

Looks like Jenson still has almost all sizes from 39-48 in at least one of three colors. You definately can't beat the price for the quality.

Hope this helped. I'll update with any major problems.
    I will ride SIdi's until they pry them off my cold feet.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian06
    My opinion on these shoes... as jrc stated the soles absolutely fell off after like 2-3 rides. I would just glue them back on myself but to make matters worse the slots for the cleats were drilled off center on the right sole so I can barely get my cleat on there. Even after I did, it is so off center that I am riding on the outside of my foot and it is causing numbing. I contacted Lake and they are issuing me an RMA # and will replace them.
    Same thing happened to me...soles falling off after one month. I took them back to Jenson and got a full refund. Excellent customer service. I ended up going with Specialized shoes and am very happy with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I like these shoes, but not for an all day ride. I had the same problem with the soles after putting them in the oven. A glue gun was the solution, but man I would be pissed if I paid full freight.

I can't weld
    Okay, I'll bring this post back from the grave since Lake is still making this model and Jenson is still selling last years model in a decent assortment of colors and sizes for a ridiculous $119.

I've worn them for every ride for the last 6 months, and I've been satisfied. I'm a bit careful with the soles, but I've never had the treads even show a hint of coming loose. As I described above, I was really careful with the treads during the initial heat-forming process when the glue was soft.

My pair are white. They are muddied and scuffed, but still in great shape. The closure still works great and I've found them reasonably comfortable considering their extremely stiff soles. I should try some better padded insoles. I just washed the original insoles for the first time. PHEW. I'm a little hesitant to throw the shoes into the washer like I do my Lorica Dominators.

Overall, these are some serious racing shoes that are reasonably durable and the price can't be beat.