Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gnar, brah

Lack of Customer Service: Chain Reaction Cycles

I am in the midst of a very negative shopping experience with Chain Reaction Cycles. They have charged my account for a total of about $1K, and when I placed my order, everything was in stock.

Next day, one small item is holding the whole order back. I have sent them numerous emails to either cancel the small item, or exchange it for something of equivalent spec. and price, but the vast majority of my emails have gone unanswered. This has gone on for well over two weeks now. Hopefully this gets resolved, but CRC has really screwed me over on this one so far.

Buyer beware, especially if you are in the United States, where the time zone issues make for very poor response time (if at all). Hopefully this gets resolved.
    Trestle Bike Park

Aquaman
    Yes I can relate. I placed and order with them for about $400 in parts. The rims were holding up the order and I did not want to wait. The site said you had to call if you wanted to change an order that was already "proccessing". I decided to email. I also believe they are eight hours ahead of PST. We played email tag for a 1 or 2 not to bad they canceled the rims but I ended up getting 2 of everything. I had a little explaining to do to the wife when she saw an $800 dolor bill on the credit card. I will probley sell the extra on Craigslist. Anyone need an XTR cassette, XTR pedals, and a pair of XT Rotors. Despite this you still canít beat those great shimano prices, so I will continue to order from them.

gnar, brah
    Yeah, their price on Shimano stuff was the whole reason I ordered in the first place. $150 for M770 crankset is impossible to beat. Time will tell if is worth the hassle...
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had the exact same experience. 80% of my emails were ignored. It was over a month before it was resolved. Very frustrating experience, not too happy with the CS, but good prices at least.

Aquaman
    100% of my emails were answered within 12hours.

mtbr member
    They contacted me about an out of stock item, I emailed them back with a replacement option and I had all the parts in 4 days no problem!

mtbr member
    There's been more and more complaints about CS. Wonder whats up with them.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Have you considered taking the drastic step of.... picking up the phone? That way you reach a real, live person and don't run the risk of your emails being caught by SPAM filters (or whatever else can go wrong with email).

The time difference thing isn't a big deal. I have to face it all the time... it just means I call at night.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I made a order over 16 days ago and for the last 7 working days it has been stuck in customs in newyork? I live in chicago has anyone else had customs problems with their order and if so how long does it take to get resolved? I contacted both chainreaction and parcel force and PF said it is out of there hands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petro55
    I made a order over 16 days ago and for the last 7 working days it has been stuck in customs in newyork? I live in chicago has anyone else had customs problems with their order and if so how long does it take to get resolved? I contacted both chainreaction and parcel force and PF said it is out of there hands.
    Unfortunately customs is a separate issue, nothing to with the shipper. Something us Canadians that order from the States always have to deal with, just takes time...
    ...unless they find something

mtbr member
    My recent order arrived in about a week. I did have to call and straighten out a payment detail, but enjoyed bantering back and forth about who had the "accent". Overall, a good experience. No complaints.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

mtbr member
    I have had the same problem, so did a bit of research on UK forums.
    It seems that CRC are restructuring/expanding, call it what you will, so things may be a little chaotic.
    Also they receive over 4000 emails a week, which must be difficult to keep up with.
    Don't know about you guys but I'm willing to wait a bit longer for cheap parts.
    I fall down and I get up again

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Once you hit stateside, you type your tracking into USPS. They should be able to let you know what's going on.

gnar, brah
    It's been over a week now since I have heard anything. I'd say the 80% ignore rate is about right on target. Looks like I need to make a phone call...but that will have to wait until next Monday.

They close their phonelines at 5:30, which means I need to make a call in the morning before 11:30 here in the Central time zone. By math at least...

Hopefully a phone conversation can get this call cleared up.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frequent crasher
    I have had the same problem, so did a bit of research on UK forums.
    It seems that CRC are restructuring/expanding, call it what you will, so things may be a little chaotic.
    Also they receive over 4000 emails a week, which must be difficult to keep up with.
    Don't know about you guys but I'm willing to wait a bit longer for cheap parts.

Do you have a link to those UK forums?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P.
    Do you have a link to those UK forums?
    www.singletrackworld.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am coming upon 3 weeks and I called customs and they said it might be 30Days? What a pain in the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I placed an order last Saturday for XT 770 cranks, shifters, FD, Ritchey WCS headset and it arrived on Friday.
    I was going to place another order today and now I'm having second thoughts with all the problems I'm reading about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ffwlwhite
    I will probley sell the extra on Craigslist. Anyone need an XTR cassette, XTR pedals, and a pair of XT Rotors. Despite this you still canít beat those great shimano prices, so I will continue to order from them.

ffwlwhite PM sent

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think that they may have sent you my cranks becuase i ordered the same thing. Feel free to forward them in my dirrection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just wait until you get an order from CRC with damaged or defective items in it and see how you like that. I'm still waiting to get reembursed for my return shipping costs and it must be over two months since I sent the items back.

Update: My problem was resolved and i am happy. It took a while but in the end brian at CRC took care of me. Thanks Brian!
    Last edited by Freezer; 05-05-2008 at 05:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I placed two orders on the same day last summer, one to CRC and another in-state here in California. CRC had stuff delivered to me quicker than an order I placed to company within California! However, the expansion/restructuring would explain a pretty big uptick in the number of complaints that have been going on, including a slight delay my friend here experienced.

If you need something immediately, might be good idea to get it from some place local and to always call and verify stock. Otherwise, CRC still has awesome prices and might be worth waiting 2 weeks for it.

mtbr member
    I think that they may have sent you my cranks becuase i ordered the same thing. Feel free to forward them in my dirrection.
    I think they posted them to me here in Australia, arrived 6 days after I ordered. If you want them you will have to come down here to pick them up. Make it quick though I'm fitting them tomorrow.

gnar, brah
    I still haven't had any emails returned, although I did recieve an automatic notification that my order had shipped! Very excited about that, as I originally placed an order in February. Hopefully all the parts are included...
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer
    Just wait until you get an order from CRC with damaged or defective items in it and see how you like that. I'm still waiting to get reembursed for my return shipping costs and it must be over two months since I sent the items back.

last year (july/august) i sent back a pair of gloves under warranty (3 months old), it is now close to 10 months later, no info on the gloves, i have basically written it off as a loss, foolishly i purchased again from CRC more recently this time for a jersey, they sent me the wrong style, i put it back in the post as per all of their instructions within 24hrs of receiving the item, including downloading the form off their website.

it has now been 3 weeks and i have not heard a thing about the package, i asked in my return letter for them to email me notification that they at least got the package, no reply, i have sent them a very frustrated email but do not expect to hear back from them within the next few weeks.

all in all i have probably spent close to 1000 pounds over the last two years but these last 2 problems with them have seen me out of pocket about 100pounds or close to 250$ AUD / depending on the exchange rate at the time.

i am in Australia and i think from now on i will not be purchasing from them any more, it is unacceptable to rip people off for such large sums of money & give them no feed back or explanation what so ever.

after about the 5th email one tends to get angry and i have let them know what i think of them, if i get the chance i will actually ring them up and blast someone over the phone.

in the end though i guess not much can be done, but it is pretty bad all round on their part

Caveat emptor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast