mtbr member

KHS xc304 frame reduced to $249

Incase anyone was looking for a bargain XC frame, Jenson just lowered the price of the KHS xc304 frame to $249.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Typical. Got mine about three weeks ago @ $279. Oh well. But for anyone, like you said, looking for a bargain FS frame, you can't do much better. I've had it out a few times now, and definitely like it. It may be because it's the right size, unlike my GT. And for the amount of time I'm able to ride, I couldn't justify spending a bunch on a new frame. The 304 suits me just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    Typical. Got mine about three weeks ago @ $279...
    Does Jenson have any kind of price protection policy? I know Performance has 30 day price protection stuff, at least on their complete bikes maybe parts are different.

Anyhow, just give the Jenson customer service a call and ask. Nothing to lose and possibly $30 to gain
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They have a 30 day price protection policy. You have to call them.

http://www.jensonusa.com/helpdesk/sh...spx#pricematch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomc

They gave me a credit. But only one day has passed and the order didn't even leave the warehouse yet. So I wasn't sure if it was a 30 day or an exception being that it was still at their warehouse. Now I know. Good to hear about the 30 day policy.

Nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by motomc

Good stuff!! I'll have to hit 'em up. Maybe I'll just get $30 worth of goodies from them.

mtbr member

Top tube length note...

Note...

The listed top tube length for the KHS 304 frames are actual lengths, NOT effective lengths.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpaws
    Note...

The listed top tube length for the KHS 304 frames are actual lengths, NOT effective lengths.
    Well, whatever it is, it fits much better than my i-Drive did. Not all crammed into the "cockpit". Makes for a much more enjoyable ride.

mtbr member
    Well, whatever it is, it fits much better than my i-Drive did. Not all crammed into the "cockpit". Makes for a much more enjoyable ride.
    Ya got any pictures of your 304 frame all built up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpaws
    Ya got any pictures of your 304 frame all built up?
    Not yet. Can't figure out how to resize pics to fit the format allowed on this board. Had some nice pics of my GT, but it wouldn't allow me to upload them....................

On a side note, any future buyers of this frame should note that the front der. is actually bottom pull, not top pull like Jenson states in their ad. I think. It has the cable guide under the bb, so......................I e-mailed them about this, and the reply was that I was mistaken and dude was going on about something other than the contents of my e-mail..........

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ....Can't figure out how to resize pics to fit the format allowed on this board.l..........
    Assuming you're running some version of windows, go into Microsoft Photo editor, open the photo, click image, select resize and down size it by a percentage. Make sure the smooth button is checked so it doesn't look distorted. You can check the size by clicking on File and selcting properties. The max size should be 200k or less.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well, ok then. I'll try to get a pic up on here tomorrow.

Oh, and the frame is now down to $219.00

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    ...Oh, and the frame is now down to $219.00
    Where did you see that price? I was looking at it on the Jenson site today (labor day monday) and it's $249 still.

Supergo just dropped the price of their Manitou QRL sprung single pivito SP frame to $299 incase anyone was looking for an alternative to the KHS frame.

mtbr member
    It's still $249 on the site, but ask for the October Moutain Bike Action magazine ad price. Jenson is advertising it there at $219.

So anyone who bought in the last 30 days, call up and ask for the price protection refund and they will credit your card.

Humpmaster general
    it is $219 in the mountain bike action ad, the code to get the price is 7557. They have a built up KHS XC304 for $449.

They also have chrome eggbeaters for $49.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    KHS xc304, RS Deluxe rr, Manitou Black Comp (100-120mm), XT r. der, LX fr, Kore Lite2 post, Syncros riser w/ x-brace, Deore Hollowtech crankset, Ritchey Comp pedals, Avid vee's, WTB EnduroRaptor tires, SDG comp saddle........
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    KHS xc304, RS Deluxe rr, Manitou Black Comp (100-120mm), XT r. der, LX fr, Kore Lite2 post, Syncros riser w/ x-brace, Deore Hollowtech crankset, Ritchey Comp pedals, Avid vee's, WTB EnduroRaptor tires, SDG comp saddle........
    Nice! I am almost finished with my build.
    Just gotta run the shifter cables and get a new front der.

Ski during the off-season

how does xc304 compare to Weyless SP or XP??

I have been considering the xc304 or one of Supergo's Weyless frames -- does anyone know how these frames compare? The SP w/ a Manitou QRL is 299 and w/ a 5th Elem. Air shock is 349. The only downside to the xc304 is that there are only medium frames left (the complete bikes for $449 appear to have some larges left).

Thx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by journey
    I have been considering the xc304 or one of Supergo's Weyless frames...
    I have ridden both.

I chose the 304 for the price ($219).

The KHS frame has beefier diameter tubes, but that may not mean much. It has less machined out sections, compare the dropouts for example.

The Weyless has the better shock, the Mani QRL. The RS shock feels a little harsher if you are picky about shock feel and does not lock out like the Mani QRL.

In the end, they felt the mostly the same in ride, only difference is the Weyless' Mani QRL shock felt a little smoother and locks out, but these frames are designed pretty well and I don't think a lock out is needed. Honestly.

The big difference is warranty. Supergo offers a 5 year warranty on the Weyless and KHS offers only a 1 year warranty.

I'd say either go for cheap: $219 for the KHS.
    OR
    Go the extra mile: $349 Weyless with 5th Element if you want stable plat tech. The 5th shock is noticeably smoother and has less stiction. It's close the smoothness of a coil.

The $299 Weyless is too similar to the KHS to warrant the extra $80. But the extra warranty duration may be worth it to some people.

I just finished my 304 and got back from a test ride and it's pretty sweet. Stiction on the RS Bar shock, but I'll upgrade if I can find a Fox Float for cheap on eBay.
    Don't let the cheap price fool you on either the Weyless or KHS, both are nice riding bikes and have a longer top tube than the OG Superlight, a big plus in my book.

There are two built up 304's in the XC bike gallery section of the site. Check'em.

KHS didn't change anything about the 304/504 frames the new model year. Just gave them uglier paint jobs IMO. I like the black on the 504 and rootbeer-esque color on my 304. It's an anodized looking paintjob, but it's NOT anodized. Decals are painted on, so no removal incase you wanted to go stealth.
    Last edited by partially hydrogenated; 09-08-2004 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, what Partially said. Only been out on the 304 twice now, due to weather, work, and illness. But surely enjoyed it. The longer TT is a big plus, as I seem to have longer arms than most (?????), and I really didn't notice too much BOB, though I still have to mess with the deluxe to dial it in a little better. Overall, I am very pleased with it (so far).

Forgot to mention in the spec list: That funky, smelly, silty crap that other Wissahickon riders may be familiar with! lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by journey
    ...The only downside to the xc304 is that there are only medium frames left (the complete bikes for $449 appear to have some larges left).

Thx.
    Call up Jensons and ask if they would be willing to strip one of those complete bikes in a size large so can buy just the frame. Afterall, that's where all these frames came from, stripped bikes that were slow sellers. They will most likely say no, but worth asking just in case.

mtbr member
    bah...just like 95% of all great close-out sales: never have anything even close to my size. Large and X-Large seldom last long enough to go on sale that low

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well, spent about 3.5 hours today on the 304 down at Wissahickon. Loved every minute of it (except for the falls). Most of it was spent on Yellow (for those of you familiar), and have to say the bike took it better than I did. Once I started to get a feel for how it responds to situations, and to adjust my positioning on climbs, etc, it was flawless. Can't wait to get out again (Sunday, perhaps.).

mtbr member
    Took my 304 out for a short ride friday nite and had a good time. Still dialing in the rear air shock. I am impressed at how well this bike pedals. I was expecting a little bob, but there hasn't been any and I am pleasantly surprised and impressed.

If I can find a discounted Manitou Minute somewhere, I'd stick that on the 304.

I had a Superlight back in 2001 (w/ Float RL rear) and have to say that this 304 rides just as well, no joke. Can't speak for durabillity though, only time will tell. I do like the fact that the top tube is 1 inch longer than the Superlight's.