• 01-06-2013
    MTBCanuck
    Just me or is competitivecyclist a disappointing substitute for hucknroll?l
    awkward ineffective search engine, too much merchendice, boring layout, questionable deals, anyone else missing ol HnR? I've abandoned CC and just stick with backcountry.com...
  • 01-06-2013
    snellvilleGAbiker
    same here
  • 01-07-2013
    Varaxis
    ditto
  • 01-07-2013
    DBI
    I miss the monkey...lol

Same here...the HnR website was definitely easier to navigate through
  • 01-07-2013
    meSSican
    One thing I miss is the reviews on products that appear on Chainlove. I think all the reviews on the MTB items came from HnR and now with them gone, you see either old reviews or none at all. I will admit that now HnR is gone I have only visited CC a couple times. Department of Goods has a good layout, although they don't stock the same inventory as HnR did.
    Wish they would have stayed open.
  • 01-07-2013
    Blatant
    You know, I was just on CC the other day and thought the same thing. Now, I've bought from them before and I think they're a very good e-tailer. There's just way too much roadie stuff and the site navigation is cumbersome. And, yeah, the prices don't seem to be as good as HnR was.

That said, it's pretty hard to beat Universal once you factor in the delivery time and coupons.
  • 01-07-2013
    Varaxis
    Right now, CC's having server issues too. Was down for maintenance earlier and now it can't accept many connections either, actually giving the user an error message with debug data.
  • 01-07-2013
    AOK
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    That said, it's pretty hard to beat Universal once you factor in the delivery time and coupons.

Agree with this. Also like universal's stock status which shows you how many of an item they have in stock.
  • 01-07-2013
    Hokidachi
    Same here. I ordered tons of stuff from HNR and I was not happy when I heard about the "merger".
    I think CC should provide a way to only display MTB stuff instead of having to manually filter the result whenever you switch categories... Additionally, the overall theme is a bit too cold, I miss the HNR coolness!
  • 01-07-2013
    tangaroo
    CC is for the birds. I miss hucknroll as well
  • 01-07-2013
    honns
    CC is good, but HNR was a million times better. I can't ever find good MTB stuff on the site that isn't ridiculously priced. Its like they bought out a competitor just so they didn't have to compete.
  • 01-07-2013
    sandwich
    why would you pay LBS prices through a mail order company? I can't fully understand how competitive cyclist can compete with Jenson, pricepoint, cambria, and others.

I think Backcountry found out they had a good thing going with selling overpriced outdoorsy gear for 70% off with backcountryoutlet steepandcheap...they parlayed that into chainlove and figured they could compete via hucknroll...but who wants to mail order bike stuff from the weirdness that is the backcountry "web"? I mean realcyclist, chainlove, steepandcheap, backcountry, backcountryoutlet, departmentofgoods, geartrade, hucknroll, tramdock, dogfunk...seriously? It was a little ambitious and I'm not surprised it didn't work out.
  • 01-07-2013
    Herby Scott
    CCs navigation is horrendous. Is there anyway to sort a category besides brand? If I'm looking for 29er forks I have to know which brand I want and then look through their entire Fox selection including all of the dozens of 26" and 650b.
  • 01-07-2013
    92gli
    I've pretty much only bought from CC when they've had a smokin closeout deal on something. I do go to them to read product descriptions before buying elsewhere sometimes - they do that very well.

Also agree that the search navigation is poor at best.

Their people and return policy are great though. They're just a site redesign and some coupon codes away from being a serious player like universal.
  • 01-07-2013
    kabayan
    To me, it feels like the online version of Performance buying Supergo :thumbsup:
  • 01-07-2013
    Guppie58
    There are similar discussions going on the RBR forum as well as triathlon forums. CC has gone from the top to the middle in record time.

I use to spend a lot of money there on an annual basis. Now I find them expensive. I haven't purchased a single item from them this past season. Like I said, I was a regular but now I find better deals elsewhere.
  • 01-07-2013
    eonicks
    They seem to be more geared towards the roadie crowd, but you can't beat their no questions asked return policy. I've bought a two yetis from CC (i returned one of them) and a santa cruz from HnR. The experience seemed pretty transparent between the two. The thing that does bug me is the lack of the "gallery" section for recent builds on the CC site.
  • 01-07-2013
    Procter
    Service is good, search definitely lacks in a few areas (mtb vs road filter, also misses some synonym translations)

However, a couple great features:

Sort by percent off - only a couple other sites have this, its an awesome feature.

Sort by weight: to my knowledge they are the only site that has this

Weights listed for almost every part - cc is good with this, its hit and miss on some other sites

Bike kit builder with weights - i used this a lot while researching both my last two bike purchases, to compare prices and weights with different buildouts, its indispensable even if you don't end up buying from them

A decent mobile site: Many sites don't have a mobile site yet. Ebay and Amazon are best here, chain reaction has one, everyone else is behind the game. Performance bike has one but crappy inventory as we know. Mikes bikes has only a store locator, no search or checkout. Jenson, Cambria, pricepoint, universal, and bike bling don't have one.

Prices: agree cc doesn't have awesome parts deals as often as some others, but occasionally has huge closeouts on frames and full bikes.
  • 01-08-2013
    D3NN15M
    Free the gorilla! Or is that a monkey?

:D
  • 01-08-2013
    honkonbobo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Agree with this. Also like universal's stock status which shows you how many of an item they have in stock.

i love the selection Universal has with even some obscure parts no one else has not to mention the incredibly quick order processing and shipping BUT...

their "price match" policy is a sham. when you try and price match something most often it will simply offer you a lower price but still not the price you are trying to match. i say dont call it price matching if its not. when i want good and quick service and REAL price matching i go to Treefort first and Jensen second. Treefort will even show you others' recent matches.
  • 01-08-2013
    Zakman
    The only thing better about CC and Backcountry are the unconditional return policy as opposed to the 60 day one that HnR had. Also if you link to Backcountry through fatwallet.com you get an additional 6% cash back a few months down the road. You didn't have the ability to do that with HnR.
  • 01-08-2013
    eatdrinkride
    All I can say is I've bought a lot of mtb stuff over the years online and I research prices before buying. Not once have I made a purchase from CC. There has never been a reason for me to consider them over PP, Jenson, Bluesky, Nashbar, etc etc etc.
  • 01-08-2013
    kragu
    I don't know, man. CC will price match almost anyone, and their free shipping and unconditional returns are a pretty awesome insurance policy. For me, those reasons alone are enough for me to make most online purchases through them. Also, I've had awesome experiences with their customer service.
  • 01-08-2013
    eatdrinkride
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I don't know, man. CC will price match almost anyone, and their free shipping and unconditional returns are a pretty awesome insurance policy. For me, those reasons alone are enough for me to make most online purchases through them. Also, I've had awesome experiences with their customer service.

You know, maybe it's b/c I'm comfortable with Jenson's pricematching (and C/S) since I've used it many times. Whenever I see a product they sell, online for cheaper price, I simply default to Jenson. I guess most of us shop where we are comfortable and have been treated well when things don't go as planned.

Maybe I should give CC a try sometime.
  • 01-08-2013
    GTscoob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    A decent mobile site: Many sites don't have a mobile site yet. Ebay and Amazon are best here, chain reaction has one, everyone else is behind the game. Performance bike has one but crappy inventory as we know. Mikes bikes has only a store locator, no search or checkout. Jenson, Cambria, pricepoint, universal, and bike bling don't have one.

Universal has had a mobile site forever.

Agree on all points, only good thing about CC is the virtual fit calculator. Sale prices are great at CC but everyday prices are too much.